Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitarists who amaze and confuse you...

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by soulgeezer, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Area51

Area51 Tele-Meister

Nov 4, 2016
    New Mexico
    If I go with a guitarist that amaze and confuse me, off the cuff I'd pick Alan Holdsworth. While I can learn the notes, I don't have a clue what he's playing and why it works. Which makes it hard to incorporate into my playing.

The same can be said for many of the Jazz players (including horn players). Then there are some guys like Marino who is known as a pentatonic blues rock player, but I've seen him do some amazing jazz work well beyond what you would expect.

brookdalebill likes this.

2. Lars F

Lars F TDPRI Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Denmark
    Came across a video on youtube the other day with Bill Frisell. Just plugged into an amp and noodling by himself. Almost made me quit playing guitar altogether..

Regards,

Lars

3. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown

4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    If you go by that one YT video, I can see how you might think that. But have you ever listened to him play with other people? He's done stuff with Richard Thompson and David Lindley, not musicians who suffer fools lightly.

Ash likes this.

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    A good reminder. Thanks. I have been struggling with a Rev. Gary Davis song for a long time now and I know it is because I have never learned a true ragtime song and you can easily tell that Davis' influence is from Blind Blake.

rjtwangs likes this.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Yeah, it is not the difficulty of playing Jimi's stuff, it is the adventure of learning his choice of the "next move" that is absolutely genius.

cowie86 and Teleterr like this.

7. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    Michael Bloomfield and Widespread Panic's Jimmy Herring.

kafka likes this.

8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Anyone playing a 24 string neck.

9. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Mar 19, 2003
    Brasstown/Murphy, NC
    Clarence White, Marty Stuart, James Burton, Jerry Reed, Chet Atkins, Danny Gatton, Hendrix, Tommy Emmanuel, Brent Mason, Vince Gill, Kenny Vaughan, Daniel Donato

gtrplr likes this.

10. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Jorma , the late great Micheal Hedges and any other really good acoustic fingerpicker.

11. cowie86

cowie86 Tele-Meister

Apr 18, 2008
    UK
    Prince. For me, his playing is the result of incredible ability/knowledge and boundless creativity. I have no idea what his influences were when he put certain sequences together but they sound amazing. Plus I've lost track of how many key changes and different timings there are in Diamonds And Pearls - getting all that into a good song is an achievement, but packaging it all into a top 40 hit is just unimaginable.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using TDPRI mobile app

12. Billc

Billc TDPRI Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Macclesfield
    Matt Schofield, the bugger hardly lifts his left hand fingers so you are left with no clue.

Badger06 likes this.

13. SoulstormTX

SoulstormTX Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2017
    San Antonio, Tx
    Skip to 7:41 for the punchline

14. journeyman

journeyman TDPRI Member

Dec 10, 2009
    US-of-A

15. SoulstormTX

SoulstormTX Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2017
    San Antonio, Tx
    This guy also trips me out. Highly original phrasing and harmonics work.

16. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Greg Koch amazes me every time I see/hear him. I think some of these guys are actually aliens just having fun with us, because human fingers can't really move like that... can they?

gtrplr, Southpaw Tele and 8barlouie like this.

17. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    I find it hard to believe no mention yet of BB King. To me, he's the most enigmatic guitarist ever. His style was so easy and technically unimpressive. And yet he could play one note. One note that would convey as much as emotion as it would take any other guitar hero so much longer to get across and some of which who are well regarded as technical giants could never make you feel if they had all night. Immediately you know it's none other than BB King. Immediately!

I've never been able to figure it out, no matter how hard I study his recordings and video, how he did that. As a side note, we so lucky a guitarists that the instrument is so emotive. The power of expression that be unleashed in such an efficient manner is unequalled compared to other instruments.

Telecasterless likes this.

18. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    Yup he's the one...

19. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    You definitely have a point. It didn't occur to me to think of such a minimalist player as someone who'd amaze and confuse, because his music is quite relatable and most of us can probably play some rough approximation of what he plays. But you're right - what he could do with a single note, or a 3-5 note phrase with his amazing vibrato, is a really truly amazing thing. Maybe not confusing, but amazing for sure. And always a thing of beauty.

It's funny, my vibrato is probably the best thing I do as a guitarist, because I really don't know my way around the fretboard all that well (outside of the two pentatonic scales and fairly basic barre chords) and don't have much speed or technique either. And to the extent I have a half decent vibrato, it's mostly because of listening to BB and even more from seeing him a few times many years back. But it still sounds absolutely nothing like BB's vibrato, even in the TYPE of sound, and of course it's not in the same universe in terms of quality and perfection. I guess if I had some big meaty hands and about a zillion times more taste and musicality I might have gotten closer... ;)

8barlouie likes this.

20. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    I think quite possibly the single most identifiable characteristic of any guitarist is his or her vibrato.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.