Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitarists who amaze and confuse you...

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by soulgeezer, Sep 6, 2017.

1. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    One of my favorite (if not my all-time favorite) guitarists growing up was Alvin Lee. The dude played amazing hot blues and rock at blistering speed and somehow managed to keep it musical and interesting with exceedingly high energy. He was - for me, anyway - the model of what a shredder could be, if a shredder was going to remain musical and fun.

But, he didn't do it on some Super Strat with DiMarzio Super Distortion pickups and a 24" neck radius. He did it on a Gibson ES-345 that had been chopped up and had a Strat pickup shoved in between the two humbuckers.

Having owned an ES-347 - which I sold a long time ago because it was a work of art, but I couldn't play it worth a damn (I'm small and that guitar is... not) - and being currently in possession of an Epiphone Dot with pickups that came out of an SG Supreme and set up by a terrific tech friend of mine, I can only say:

I have no freakin' idea how Alvin Lee played like that on that ES guitar!

Are there any artists who fascinate, confuse, or amaze you with either their ability or the fact that they do what they do in an unconventional manner or with unconventional tools?

I find this stuff interesting -- Who's on your "I don't know how he/she does it?" list?

DonM, Cliffyg62, RoyBGood and 2 others like this.

2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I'd say most of them. You watch them play and they put their hands in the same place you do, but it never sounds the same when I do it.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    For me, it is Jack White. I don't know if he is rockin' some questionable tones on purpose or it just comes out that way.

Edit: I am a total fan of his, just to be clear.

5. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Lenny Breau is still AMAZING! Pull out his version of "The Claw" for a treat.

Buster B. Jones, give him a listen.

6. gtrplr

gtrplr Tele-Meister

May 22, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    I amaze and confuse myself most of the time, not necessarily in a good way.

Jerry Reed, Chet Atkins, Danny Gatton, Jerry Donahue, Les Paul, Tommy Emmanuel, Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass, Mark Knopfler, Leo Kottke, Brent Mason, Andy Reiss, Ranger Doug, Vince Gill

Heck, I can do this all night.

7. SoulstormTX

SoulstormTX Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2017
    San Antonio, Tx
    Kurt Rosenwinkel.

Guy is absolutely fantastic.

TigerG likes this.

8. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2017
    Toledo Ohio USA
    Page. Easily recognizable. Not technically astounding, but shreds. Plays sloppy (not a dig) and makes it sound good. I always felt more emotion was conveyed from that style than someone like a Yngwie who didn't "struggle" for notes. Hard to explain, but yeah...Page

9. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2016
    New England
    Django Reinhardt. Paco De Lucia. Roy Clark. Yngwie Malmsteen. Ritchie Blackmore. Michael Hedges. Brent Mason.

10. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    I forgot about Django. Holy crap, Batman -- Three fingers! Regarding his playing, how on God's green Earth did he do that?????

11. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    Redd Volkaert.
    Plays fast, fiddly, fluidly and never fouls another string.
    I got to stand directly over his left shoulder at a guitar show once and was very surprised at how high his action is, plus he does it all with those big thick fingers.
    Amazing.

12. vintagelove

vintagelove Tele-Meister

Oct 18, 2014
    NY
    There are only 2.

Holdsworth and Yamashita.

telemnemonics likes this.

13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    All of these and many, many more, BUT........Terry Kath.

DonM, awasson, mc84 and 2 others like this.

14. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    Jazz guys especially with a classical guitar

15. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    Andy Timmons. He can do it all. Rock, jazz, country and everything in between.

16. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

Just killer.

17. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    I might have given up,on my reacquaintance with the guitar had it not been for a video I saw with Redd.....a true inspiration for anyone but especially for us with large fingers !

RodeoTex likes this.

18. drf64

drf64 Friend of Leo's

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    okay someone had to say it: Henry Kaiser. doh! I'm totally confused by what he is doing and amazed that he has defenders.

Praxis, Maricopa, Iago and 3 others like this.

19. adamgdog

adamgdog Tele-Meister

Apr 5, 2017
    Louisville
    Eddie Van Halen. Eruption. Watch the live video. That's all I need to say.

Also, Mark Knopfler.

DonM and jackal like this.

20. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    For me it's all those guys who are idiosyncratic and unusual, excluding prepared guitar and the like.
    Guys like Adrian Belew, David Torn, Bill Frisell, etc.

Bill Frisell, in live performance, can keep a melodic idea going through boundless permutations, indefinitely, without ever losing focus and attention for the ideas he's working.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.