Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitarist on Six Days On The Road?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Paul in Colorado, May 4, 2008.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Who played guitar on Dave Dudley's Six Days on the Road? Any idea what guitar it was? I heard it on the radio the other day and I loved the tone. I was trying to get close with my Gretsch the other night but it wasn't quite happening.

2. Fendrcaster

Fendrcaster Tele-Afflicted

I don't know who the player is, maybe someone can identify him from this:

3. Andy R

Andy R Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    nashville
    That was Jimmy Colvard, a brilliant but erratic session player in Nashville in the 60's.

4. jericho60

jericho60 formerly ye olde fretmonkey

Mar 19, 2003
    Gnashville area
    What was his technique to get that boingy sound?

5. jericho60

jericho60 formerly ye olde fretmonkey

Mar 19, 2003
    Gnashville area
    What was his technique to get that boingy sound?

6. tomi

tomi Tele-Holic

May 20, 2003
    It looks like he's getting some right-hand harmonics using the heel of his hand. Check it out around 1:10.

7. byrdbrain

byrdbrain Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2006
    Sweden
    This is what Dudley said about the session:
    There has to be some sort of compression too, I think, even if it's not
    of the stomp box kind.

8. The guitar player on that clip is Richard Bass...and I agree about the compression...that was before the days of stomp boxes...it's probably an LA-2A or some other tube compressor in a rack at the studio where they cut the record...Jim Colvard(the guitarist on the record)went on to play on many more hits and was a member of Barefoot Jerry...

9. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

May 19, 2004
    Tennessee
    It sounds like pinch harmonics. I don't hear any compression on the guitar, especially on the boingy parts.

10. airtractorfan

airtractorfan Tele-Meister

Sep 29, 2007
    Tulsa

11. I would liked to have been there to watch Jim and Grady Martin working together on that Linda Hargrove session!

12. Caffeine Patrol

Caffeine Patrol Tele-Afflicted

Sep 6, 2003
    I saw Sleepy LaBeef play "Six Days..." a few years ago and he got a similar sound by thumping the strings. He was playing a 335-style guitar at the time.

13. smitty54017

smitty54017 Tele-Holic

Apr 9, 2006
    New Richmond, WI
    The guy in this video clip is Richard Barish. Here's a link to his myspace page.

http://www.myspace.com/richardbarish

Good to see the Dave Dudley clip. He was a great singer and an awesome guy. He lived in my neck of the woods and was one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. He even stopped and changed my friend's flat tire while on his way to a show.

14. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    Back in the 60s, when I was much younger, I attended some Opry package show in Freeport IL. I distinctly remember somebody, maybe it was Faron Young, talking up his guitar player...the same guitar player, said old Faron, that had played guitar on Dave Dudley's hit record "Six Days on the Road."

That night, Jimmy Colvard, if that is indeed who I was seeing, was playing a red Telecaster.

After the introduction, Jimmy (if that is who he was) broke into the guitar part of SDotR...and I was convinced! :)

It looked like he was getting that "popping" sound by pulling the strings out with his fingers, rather than plucking down or up on them with a pick.

But I was young and ignornt. Sometimes I wonder how much I remember about those days...and how much I disremember.

If you know what I mean!

15. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Mar 17, 2003
    albany, ny [not chicago]
    Off topic: what are a Jimmy and a white? And what's the ICC? Insterstate Commerce Commission?

16. Caffeine Patrol

Caffeine Patrol Tele-Afflicted

Sep 6, 2003
    Off topic: what are a Jimmy and a white?

Makes of semis (Jimmy is a GMC, yeah?) If I remember right, the song was actually written by a pair of real truckers. Man, if you like your truck driving music lingo-heavy, or if you like truck driving music in general, don't miss Dale Watson's "Truckin' Sessions." Nearly every song is a classic. I've read Dale's dad was a trucker and I believe he's spent some time behind the wheel himself.

17. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

Nov 13, 2006
    USA
    That's how I always thought it was done. A band I used to be in fooled around with this song a little, and that's what I used to do to approximate that sound.

18. johnporter

johnporter Tele-Meister

Nov 12, 2007
    Granite Falls,NC
    Off topic, eryque this may help http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Motor_Company
    note; ironic that white/gmc were the same brand for some time.

Yes, Interstate Commerce Commission, originally developed for regulating railroad companies. This later branched off into or was the model for many government agencies including trucking,communications,labor,OSHA & even medical boards.

19. Damian Housman

Damian Housman NEW MEMBER!

Jan 30, 2012
    Las Vegas
    Paul, I guess I'm a few years too late to answer this, but who knows. You or someone here may see it anyway.

Jimmy Colvard indeed did the sound on the Six Days On The Road single for Dave Dudley in 1964. Two things were involved, the first has already been mentioned by Buckocaster. He thwacked the strings with his middle fingernail or thumbnail. He could continue to hold his pick if he used the middle finger.

The second thing was told to me by Dave Dudley at a show he did in New York City in 1969 or 1970. To make the sound, he attached (he was doing it himself then, at least on the road) something called a "melodic". It went across the bridge, and created that famous sound. I asked him about the melodic, and where I might find one. He said any music store should have one. I told him if I went to a music store in New York, they would hand me a plastic flute! He said if I'm ever in Nashville, they will give me the right device.

Years have gone by and I have yet to find one. No one seems to know what it is, or was. I would love to find one, but doubt I ever will. E-mails to Fender, Gibson, and the CMA have been unanswered.

KoKoTele, Jimmy and White are both models of truck cabs. As Dave said, I just passed a Jimmy and a White, I been passing everything in sight!

20. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Love this song! I actually did a "corrective" lyric transcription on it because all the lyrics sites weren't getting his phrasing or words correct. The way he leads into words with an "a", very cool and he does neat bass drops and talk-style delivery on many other great tunes.

Because I had listened to it so many times I memorized every percussive thing Dudley did. So, I emailed my "corrected" lyric to one of the trucker websites that had the lyric wrong. Didn't hear back - guess that's a good thing, ha! At the time I didn't know what a jimmy or white was, but a friend who is a trucker put me up to speed - no pun intended.

There's a couple versions of this track, but on the original, there is definitely over-compression, might even be squashed across the whole track. The guitar part that gets me is the roll off at the end of the guitar break. I play with fingers, and im guessing its a pull-off pop with the thumb and middle finger. I cant replicate that rolloff at the end of the inst. turnaround before the verse starts, yet. Some reverb going on too, and the background voices and strange sounds are crazy. I read that they did this track in only a couple takes.

I'm so glad you posted who the guitar player is! There's some similar songs Dudley does that have similar feel, definitely worth checking out, like "mad" and "six-pack away."

Perfect driving music.

Thanks for all the cool info and insights everybody, such a great song!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.