Guitar wiring ?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by SacDAve, May 23, 2019.

1. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Screen Shot 2019-03-31 at 7.00.54 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 6.28.34 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 6.28.58 PM.png I’m wiring a guitar I just finished. Pick of how I want to wire the guitar (pic) Not familiar with a push/pull switch. Looking at the diagram of the switch would that be the same as looking at the switch (pic of switch) ?

Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 6.28.34 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 6.28.58 PM.png

2. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Holic

Yeah that's correct. CTS DPDT push-pull's new style terminal layout and soldering is a PITA. How the solder terminal labels map to more conventional DPDT style is seen at the terminals at the other end of the switch and in the top image here. The bottom diagram shows what is connected to what in the push and pull positions ...
    https://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Onli...Wiring/Wiring_the_CTS_DPDT_Push-Pull_Pot.html

3. SacDAve

Would this be the correct wiring for the switch in the diagram

Numbered switch.png

4. SacDAve

Working off this diagram the one Tim Tam shared a link too I got it kind of partially working. I ordered a Bourn’s switch should have it today
    Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 1.58.35 PM.png

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  5. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

No, I think this is the key for you. Here's the old CTS switch:
    CTS Push_pull_old details.jpg
    Here's the "conversion key" for wiring your mod. I think your CTS switch you have is fine and there was noneed to order the bourns. Try this and then you can still use the Bourns for another project if it does not work.
    CTS Push Pull Clue.png
    Good luck.
    Rex

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  6. SacDAve

7. TRexF16

I hope it works for you. I'm no expert but I just used these new CTS push pull for the first time, and I had to do all the tracing like you.

8. TRexF16

BTW, what brand of Humbuckers are you wiring? Are you 100% sure you have your color codes on the 4 wires right? I bet you do just thought it was worth asking.

SacDAve likes this.
  9. SacDAve

Tone rider PAF I'll put up a post up tomorrow of how I did the color coding also I've never installed a push/pull pot switch.

10. TRexF16

Well heck, here's Tonrider's own diagram of the the same set-up (attached as PDF). Only difference is it's a toggle not a blade. But the rest of it should be informative. Notice they are only using one bank of the poles on the push-pull switch. You could do it either way.
    I'm sure you have this:
    http://www.tonerider.com/wiring-diagrams
    Here's their color codes
    Tonerider humbucker-color-code-800.png

Attached Files:

SacDAve likes this.
  11. SacDAve

This is what I came up with Pickup one.png

12. SacDAve

I like the Tonerider Diagram better than mine pretty simple I'm going to use that. Thanks Screen Shot 2019-05-26 at 8.59.48 AM.png

13. SacDAve

I got everything working on the mechanical end everything functions properly. But I’m getting a high buzzing in every position, then if I roll the volume back I get a low hum. The pickup cavity is shielded no cover plate on it. I’m guessing it’s a grounding problem any suggestions?

14. SacDAve

All is good I kept looking the diagram everything looked good I knew it was something simple with the meter all the grounds were tied together. I pulled the Jack the hot was to the ground thats the one spot that I didn't check with the meter. The pickups are Tonerider's Alnico IV classic Vintaged-voiced Humbuckers AC4. About 20 minuets plugged in these pickups sound great really liking them. Still have to do a set up on the guitar. The other problem I had I used the bourns Switch/pot they have knurled shafts I pulled the knob to add a washer the shaft pulled right out of the pot I bought 3, I'm afraid to put a knob back on might buy some knobs with set screws and adaptors. Still have the CTS pot could use that. Anyway thanks for all the help.

15. TRexF16

I'd use the CTS. Is it solid shaft or knurled? That's one thing I like about those CTS push-pulls - they are available in solid shaft.

SacDAve likes this.
  16. SacDAve

Such a small job yet a big mess
    IMG_4796.jpg IMG_4797.jpg IMG_4799.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.