Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitar wireless choices

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by sliberty, Aug 30, 2018.

1. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    There is no accessories forum, so I am posting this here.

I like wireless, and have been using 2 systems. I use a Line 6 G30 to connect my guitar to my pedalboard. The G30 receiver is in a pedal-like form factor, so it is a fixture on my board. I also use a Rowin WS-20 system to connect my pedalboard to my amp, OR to connect my guitar to my smaller pedalboard that doesn't have the G30 receiver on it. With 2 systems, it is a little harder to diagnose, but as near as I can tell, the G30 is rock solid, and the Rowin is pretty good with only minimal drop outs (quite good for its price for sure).

[BTW, my pedalboards tun on a central battery under the board, so with these dual wireless systems, y board is COMPLETELY wireless (externally - obviously, I use patch cables between pedals).

The Rowin system is a pair of small dongles with rechargeable batteries onboard. Very convenient. There are a bunch new choices in the dongle form factor, so I decided to try the Donner DWS-3. I ordered from Amazon, and had a chance to try it out over the last 3 days since getting back from vacation.

Donner DWS-3 report:

I just dropped it off at UPS to go back to Amazon. Nuff said?

Now I'll explain. First the form, then the function.

Form: The swivel jack hinge on one of the units felt much looser than on the other. This isn't a problem in and of itself, but it predicts that these hinges will loosen over time (which I have found to be true of the Rowin WS-20 units as well) with no obvious way to tighten them back up. I didn't love the little cat whisker antenna either - seemed like a weak link. Finally, there is no real battery indicator. Red while charging, green when full. But nothing to let you know how much of a charge you have remaining.

Function: Sound quality was excellent, as one would expect in 2018. Supports 4 channels, and it is very easy to select one and sync them up. But more importantly, I had frequent drop outs both at home and in the jam room last night. I ended up switching back to my Rowins last night, which also drop out, but actually less frequently than the Donner, at least in the environments I used them in.

As soon as the Donner system is credited to my Amazon account, I will order the Boss WL-20 system, and see if it is more reliable. At that price point, it should be better, but only time will tell.

2. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    Well, I now have the Boss WL-20 wireless system, and have played with it a little bit (at home only so far). It appears to be very solidly built. The form factor is nice for my needs, although some won't like it. It doesn't have a swivel like some other dongle wireless systems, so it just sticks out from the guitar, however, it isn't huge, and so I find that acceptable. Besides, I often put my dongle based wireless transmitters in a pouch attached to my strap anyway, and just run a cable to my guitar from the patch (just like you might do with a body pack transmitter). The real question of course is it's reliability, and so far in my limited use at home, it has had zero drop outs, which I certainly couldn't say for the XVIVE U2, or the Rowin WS-20. The real test will be when I rehearse with my band because there will be several wireless systems in use, but that's not until next week. This week, I will use it at the weekly blues jam, and that will give me an intermediate level test (not as many wireless systems in use, but some). Early impression though is very positive.

warrent likes this.
  3. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    The Boss WL-20 was flawless at the blues jam last night. Not a single glitch. I haven’t been able to say that with either the CVIVE or the Rowin. This seems very promising. Band practice is next week - the final frontier....stay tuned.

4. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Thanks for posting this. I use a G30 and it’s been fine, notwithstanding its flimsiness.

Nice to see comprehensive review of some other options in case the need arises.

5. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    I like the G30 a lot. The receiver is a fixture on the board I use with the band. And the transmitter, while a little fragile, is giving me no issues since I use a body pack pouch. This both protects it, and ensures that the battery compartment door won’t pop open, which it really never has anyway. I do have a spare transmitter though, which I got on Reverb a little broken, and then replaced half of the shell (it’s now very solid).

The Boss system will be used from pedalboard to amp with the band. But last night, it was used from guitar to pedalboard (cable used to amp). I love the freedom of no tangled wires to trip over. And setup takes a minute since there are no wires to unwrap or rewrap. But reliability is Killer no - without that, convenience means nothing.

6. djh22

djh22 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 12, 2012
    VA
    I'm not familiar with the DWS-3, but I have used the DWS-2 at home and for rehearsals without any issues whatsoever.

7. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    I've found the cheaper wireless systems to be VERY environment dependent. What doesn't work for me might be totally reliable for you. The guy that I sold the XVIVE to has had good luck with it, but it was not reliable in my house at all. So far, my only salvation from this silliness has been to spend more money (G30 and now the Boss WL-20).

8. djh22

djh22 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 12, 2012
    VA
    You are quite right. My assumption was that folks would understand that I was simply recounting my particular experiences. As always, YMMV.

I'm glad you found a solution that works for you. :)

9. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Vancouver, BC
    Thanks for these reviews of the Boss system -- looks very promising, I'd be looking at the WL50!
    Before I jump on one, I need to know how these react with a couple of Godins I play that have the HDR (hi-definition revoicer) that has a TRS jack for turning the battery off/on. The HDR I think the TRS on/off wiring should be compatible but wonder what it sounds like when the HDR active preamp is activated. However, nobody around these parts has a unit in stock to test drive...

10. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    Regarding the WL-50 -- you might be interested in something I read about them on TGP.

As you are probably aware, the transmitter is charged by seating it into the receiver. This sounds pretty cool BUT some users have left the transmitter seated in the receiver after shutting off the power to the receiver, only to discover that the transmitter battery had drained again because the little "plunger" switch was depressed, so it was "on". Moral of the story is you can't really store the transmitter in the receiver. Charge it, and then remove it.

Regarding your Godin - I have an Epiphone SST Studio. It also has a preamp that uses a battery, and the battery is disabled when the cable is unplugged. I don't know whether or not this is the same sort of TRS arrangement you have in your Godin. But on my Epi, the WL-20 works like a champ. Sounds great, guitar battery behaves as expected, etc. YMMV.

11. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Vancouver, BC
    Thanks sliberty. Wow never thought about the battery drain, and I would most likely put the transmitter back on the receiver when I pack up the pedalboard!!

Yeah, the Godins work the same as your Epiphone; big question that I'll need to do live is how the HDR active circuitry sounds through the wireless.

12. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    Some are saying that they pull the transmitter back "one click" to release the plunger switch while still leaving the transmitter essentially seated in the receiver. I don't have one of these, so I have to try to visualize the concept. The dongle plug is 3 conductor, so I guess pulling it back one click means it would still be held in place, but would it lay properly??? I have no idea. ANyway, just something to keep in mind.

13. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Line 6 G30. Gigged for years. Worry free.

ecoast likes this.
  14. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

Jan 6, 2017
    NWNJ
    yep

I just put the t/x in my front right pocket...no prob

15. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
  16. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    I had the XVIVE U2 system for a while. I had frequent drop outs. I tried the different channels - no help. So I sold it. For my needs (my home environment, the jam room I go to weekly, and the rehearsal room my band plays in) the XVIVE was not reliable.

But like I said, these cheaper systems really are environment dependent. So the XVIVE might work really well for others.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.