Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitar wire issue

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Voicing 13, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

Sep 12, 2008
    Canada
    Hey,

I was making a new guitar wire tonight and something went wrong. The wire works but you have to really crank up the volume on the amp to hear the guitar. Has anyone dealt with that before?

The wire is around 25' in length.
    The solder joints are good.

I assume it's something I've done but can't see what.

Any idea/solution are welcome,

Thanks

2. Deeve

Deeve Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    Pics?
    Components?
    We stand ready to trouble-shoot.

Peace - Deeve

3. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2015
    the bozone
    Check it with a multimeter for continuity and shorts.

AAT65 likes this.

4. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

Sep 12, 2008
    Canada
    Here is pic 1

Attached Files:

5. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

Sep 12, 2008
    Canada
    It's digiflex cables they are excellent around these parts.

The plugs are generic and I could not get the higher quality one this time, as they were out.

Should have thought to check with the ohms meter last night. I was too tired at that point.

Thanks guys!

6. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

Sep 12, 2008
    Canada
    Here is pic 2

Attached Files:

7. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    Look into the plug shown at the bottom of the first picture. Is there something bridging the two contacts, or am I mistaken?

8. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    Macclesfield, UK
    Any crackles or buzzes when you move the cable around?
    Can you check the cable through another amp - or the amp through another cable? Or another guitar through this cable?
    It would be helpful to confirm that the problem is in that cable...
    Are the jack plug barrels plastic or metal - do they have an inner insulating sleeve?

9. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

That second image looks like the center tab could be touching the shield leg, like the solder dripped down. Check that.

Use the ohm meter to measure end pin to shell on either plug and you'll see if there is a short. Then search for either solder bridging or a stray wire strand hanging over.

10. Rudi oet Grunn

Rudi oet Grunn TDPRI Member

There seems to be an extra black insulation layer round the core which makes contact with the core.

11. Rudi oet Grunn

Rudi oet Grunn TDPRI Member

this thin black layer is often made of conductive plastic.

12. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I just made some cables out of Canare cable. With the Canare there is a thin layer of shielding over the center wire that is conductive as Rudi points out.

That shielding needs not to be in contact with the ground.

13. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

Sep 12, 2008
    Canada
    Wow! Thanks everyone. I just got in and it's late. I'll have to look into it tomorrow and report back.

14. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

Sep 12, 2008
    Canada
    Problem solved!

Everything check out ok with the multi-meter and no wire were bridging the cap. It turns out the small black shielding was touching the core. Took the exacto knife, removed it and voilà! Took, 2 minutes!

Thanks guys!

LutherBurger, SPUDCASTER and xafinity like this.

15. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    yup - that could very well be the problem. High quality cables like Mogami meant for things like guitar cords that get moved around have an extra layer underneath the braided copper shield. It's meant to reduce any microphonic noise from slapping the cable around as you move. It is indeed a bit conductive, and it can serve to short out from the shield to the center conductor, but with such high resistance that it's as if you turned down the volume rather than shorting it out completely. So strip back that black layer and your'e good to go. I hope that does the trick.

A second thought is the manner in which the plug is crimped around the outside of the cable to make a strain relief. Sometimes if that's crimped too tightly it damages the insulation inside although it usually presents itself as a drop off in trebles and not in overall volume (dont' ask me how I know that).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.