Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitar strap material that won't wear on the finish

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by quartermiler45, Jul 8, 2018.

1. quartermiler45

quartermiler45 Tele-Meister

Sep 11, 2007
    Indiana
    So I noticed on one of my nitro finish guitars that behind the button on the tail where the strap hits the guitar that a spot is starting to wear. I currently have a strap that my grandfather gave me that he had from the 60's and honestly I'm not sure what the material is made of. I'm wanting to purchase a new strap that doesn't wear a spot in that area. What kind of material is recommended for the guitar strap? Suede, leather?

2. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Holic

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    i think anything will wear nitro.

Jakedog, RodeoTex, Piggy Stu and 3 others like this.

3. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Meister

Dec 10, 2016
    Tip of the Mitt
    Nitro wears... Thats the point..

4. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    Think of it as mojo.

Or think of it as the marks only you can do. On my guitar the wear is slightly different. On someone else’s it’s different again. It’s not that you’re mistreating it. It’s pure entropy - Newton’s second law of thermodynamics but much cooler. Leather or suede is possibly the slowest wear process.

Kriticaster likes this.

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Yup.
    I’d just dig the fact that I had grandpa’s strap.
    Stuff wears when you use it.
    I would not bog down in worry about your guitar’s finish.
    If you want a different strap, get the most comfortable one you can find.
    Avoid plastic or vinyl, and get a nice wide leather one.
    I’d also avoid straps with metal sliding buckles, conchos or other metal parts.
    Here’s a tip that may help.
    Pawn shops often have nice used leather straps for (sometimes) very little money.
    I have nice wide leather straps for all ten of my instruments, and don‘t have more than $10 in any of them.
    All were pawn shop scores.

6. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    Would Schaller Straplocks keep the strap from having direct contact with the body?

7. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2017
    Crete, Greece
    I like Hemp straps... they’re soft, come in various colours and should last forever...

Goucho is the brand... but will probably still wear on nitro eventually...

brookdalebill likes this.

8. quartermiler45

Sep 11, 2007
    Indiana
    I actually think the strap ends where the button hole is might be made out of vinyl. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have Schaller strap locks installed now but someone on another site suggested Dunlop because they put the strap 1/4' farther away the body.

9. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Strap locks tend to pull screws out of the guitar body, being so far out from the body they have a good lever too.

Find the material they use on some high end sketch books/notepads Moleskein, or the actual fabric used (https://www.heddels.com/2015/04/digging-moleskin-textile-tales/). Attach the fabric on the inside of the straps. Don't use nylon or polyester thread to attach as the thread is harder than nitro and will scratch.

Get a pair of cotton socks (cool patterns) and make sleeves for the ends of your straps. Probably the easiest. Snip the toe off so you have four inches of sock end, slide up the strap, punch a hole through for the guitar strap button. Don't use a sock with different colored toes as they may have synthetic fibers at the tips.

Kriticaster likes this.

10. galaxiex

galaxiex TDPRI Member

Jun 17, 2017
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada
    I consider the wear mojo...

I used to obsess about keeping stuff "perfect" looking. (ah, the angst of youth)

Now I prefer to see usage wear-and-tear, gives it a "lived in" feel.

OneHenry and Kriticaster like this.

11. redhaze

redhaze TDPRI Member

Apr 29, 2018
    Commerce, TX
    My grandpa played the fiddle, he never had a "tele", my loss.....

Kriticaster likes this.

12. OneHenry

OneHenry Tele-Holic

Apr 16, 2018
    North carolina

Fake sheep skin backed leather or neoprene

13. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2011
    Penn's Woods
    I've been told that anything other than leather will have a negative reaction to nitro.

Mike Simpson likes this.

14. schmee

schmee Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Try a big thin nylon washer between the strap and body?

fendrguitplayr likes this.

15. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    +1

16. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    Yeah, socks on your strap. I'm not seeing that as looking especially cool. Of course, on this forum it could be a new, trendy fashion statement! Goes great with cargo shorts and flip-flops!

Jakedog and LowCaster like this.

17. OneHenry

OneHenry Tele-Holic

Apr 16, 2018
    North carolina

, OK then, a strap made from undyed lamb's hide. My grandparents had lamb's skin hides that were nice and soft. They used the skins like nice soft throw rugs on the the carpet in the living room. I liked to lay on one while watching TV. Their cat hated the lamb's hide, he wouldn't go near it. I wonder if he realized that it was not cat hide.

Kriticaster and Wallo Tweed like this.

18. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Tele-Afflicted

Aug 30, 2011
    U.S.A.
    Is it melting the finish due to a chemical reaction with the synthetic strap ends, or just abrading it?

If it's the former, a leather or cloth strap end will not do that. If it's the latter, that's gonna happen. Lacquer finishes wear down much, much faster than poly finishes.

Kriticaster likes this.

19. quartermiler45

Sep 11, 2007
    Indiana
    I think the strap was made out of vinyl. I ended up purchasing a Levy garment leather strap for $30 off zzounds.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.