Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitar Rooms?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Clankton, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Clankton

Clankton TDPRI Member

Oct 26, 2013
    Melbourne
    Hey all! While looking for a new (old) apartment to live in on my own, I realized how important it was for me to have a room dedicated to playing guitar; somewhere that I could easily access everything and surround myself with my entire collection of gear. Until now it's been huddled up in cupboards, with only the lucky few seeing daylight. Now I have THIS. A room dedicated to valves and quality fretboards.

Anyone else know the joy of being mid 30s and FINALLY being able to surround yourself with a premium selection of guitars, amps and pedals?

Attached Files:

Bruxist and drf64 like this.

2. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

I bought a house earlier this year, went for location, view, kids' quality of life etc ahead of a bigger house to meet my own need for a music room and storage for my amps, guitars etc

What was I thinking? - Most of my gear is still at my old man's gaff! :(

3. mohair_chair

mohair_chair Tele-Meister

Jul 21, 2011
    Santa Clarita
    I bought a new house last year. One room is my office, because I work from home. But my work stuff doesn't take much room. The rest of the space is devoted to my guitars. It's a nice setup. It's nice to have the room. It's nice to be able to pull a guitar off the wall instead of digging it out of a closet.

4. Tonemonkey

My garage is attached to the house and I'm thinking of converting it to an office. Its just full of "stuff" at the moment.

Me and my Laptop on "work from home days" leaves plenty of room for bookoo guitars and Amps! :twisted:

5. Randypttt

Randypttt Tele-Afflicted

Feb 8, 2010
    Elyria Oh
    Can't speak to being 30 anymore but with the housing market the way it was/is, we were able to buy the house next door when it went vacant after 22 years. Our effort to keep the market above water. Too many in our neighborhood have gone under and are now the property of absentee landlords and their questionable tenants.

Anyway, I now have a whole basement for my studio instead of sharing the space with gym equipment, furnace, laundry machines and the odd outsized 'thing' that you can't store in a closet.
    All for the price of an addition.

Enjoy your room Clankton. I know I am.

6. Jedadiah

Jedadiah Tele-Meister

Nov 16, 2011
    Wales, United Kingdom
    This is mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Started as a garage, fitted some bi-folding door now it's a garden/music room; somewhere I can play guitar or listen to vinyl!

7. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2011
    Southeast Florida
    Never had much in my 30s....
    Now I have a little more gear, but relegated to a spare bedroom, which isn't very large by any means. Still need the Futon in there in case my son comes to visit and the other spare bedroom is in use.
    A couple guitars on the wall, a couple in the closet, Blues Deluxe for practicing, and the main amp left at the rehearsal studio.
    No basements in Fl....

8. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    When I walk into my guitar room and look to the right, this is what I see.

[​IMG]

And when I look to the left I see this.

[​IMG]

Sometimes it's a hard decision which way to go. ;)

Straydogger and dogwatermike like this.

9. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Left, then right.

10. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2009
    Franklin New Jersey
    Nice!

11. THRASHOCASTER

THRASHOCASTER Tele-Meister

Oct 2, 2012
    toledo
    +1:D

12. Tonemonkey

Nice Room, John.

Unfortunately a passing Magpie appears to have left a "message" on your wall! ;)

Attached Files:

13. THRASHOCASTER

THRASHOCASTER Tele-Meister

Oct 2, 2012
    toledo
    I USED to have a guitar room. Then for some reason, grandchildren started to appear at my home. I quickly modified one of my walk-in closets. Now, two dozen or so guitars hang on a rack, all lined up like shirts and pants.

14. Phil In Ottawa

Phil In Ottawa Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    I recently moved in to a renovated (as in completely gutted and rebuilt) condo apartment. It's slightly less than 1000 sq.ft. but I had to have a guitar room (good thing I have somewhat less equipment than the OP, LOL!). And, it had to be such that I could play without having the neighbours at the door with torches and pitchforks wanting to evict us from the building.

So I had a special office/guitar room built with as much soundproofing as I could put in, keeping in mind that it had to be aesthetically pleasing enough as to not totally ruin the look of the condo.

The room was built using QuietRock 545 (1 3/8" thick, 200lbs per 4'x8' sheet) on both sides of all the walls, QuietPutty on all the electrical outlets, Roxul AFB acoustic bat inside the walls, custom-made solid-core French doors (1 3/4" thick) with custom-made glass inserts (two layers of 6mm laminated glass with 10mm air space between them) and finally Dricore, Eco Cork Foam, foam underpad and wool carpet on the floor. I'm on the top floor so the ceiling was not a problem.

It's not perfectly soundproof (the space between and around the French doors is the weak link) but it's pretty darn good. Plenty to keep the neighbours at bay and not disturb my wife when she's sleeping in the next room.

Here are a few photos:

Sheets of QuietRock and box of QuietPutty
    [​IMG]

Under Construction
    [​IMG]

Custom Doors (no glass yet)
    [​IMG]

Finished
    [​IMG]

15. idjster

idjster Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Congratulations on your guitar room! I haven't got any photos, but we have a room dedicated to music, and we have a lot of our amps, guitars, etc. in it. It's not big enough for everything in our collection, but once the basement is finished there will be a secondary music room. A person should really experience the feeling. It really gives a sense of freedom!

16. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    That's a very cool room.

Our old home was a two story split level home (it therefore had 4 levels) and studio1087 was the sub basement that you accessed by going out in the garage and down a half flight of stairs to a grubby rec room that was off the garage. Our address was 1087 and my friends nicknamed the mancave room "studio1087". That was my music area (complete with dark 1970's paneling and a bad suspended ceiling). Now you know the rest of the story.

Our new house has a nice finished office on the lowest level on the east side. The bedrooms are on the third floor on the west side. I can therefore get fairly loud and not bother my wife & kids when they are sleeping. When we moved in my wife bestowed the office to me to use for music. :D I'm almost 50 and I waited about 30 years for this.

Panorama of the new (3 years for me) studio1087 (I kept the old nickname)....

[​IMG]

17. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 28, 2010
    N.Ireland
    That's the ticket. :D

18. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2009
    Michigan
    He'll yeah. Awesome.

19. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2009
    Michigan
    image-1654547918.jpg

Here's mine.

dogwatermike likes this.

20. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    Revv23, I think that's what guitarists see on their deathbed as they are beckoned towards the light.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.