Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitar Player magazine failure

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Endless Mike, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I've been re-visiting Allan Holdsworths' music lately, and recently, while at a music store, picked up a back issue of Guitar Player magazine. Haven't bought a copy in quite some time. Haven't had a subscription since the 90's. Had a subscription for over a decade until around 97 or 98.

I picked up said issue because it had an AH tribute. I expected something like the Zappa tribute, when he died. That is, an entire issue dedicated to the man. This was a mere four pages. Wow. Lame. Truly lame. I like Zappa, but I think AH deserves at least as much as what they gave FZ.

I thought perhaps I missed the full issue, so I looked. It does not appear they ever bothered. This, if is in fact true, is a major oversight, and inexcusable. The man was possibly the giant of electric guitar, and they couldn't be bothered to give him a proper tribute.

Glad I don't bother subscribing or purchasing regularly any longer.

There are other issues (no pun intended) with the magazine that I noticed as I read through it, but that's an entire other thread.

tonyj, BorderRadio and amagras like this.

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Molenda sunk that ship a long time back

Teleka, jimash, 2 Headed Goat and 3 others like this.

3. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    As much as I like Allan's music he wasn't very well known among modern guitarists. And if you did a GP reader "name recognition poll" he'd e way down the list. Magazines are suffering nowadays and have to cater to advertising dollars more than ever - that means well-known names always get more space than even the best, but lesser-known players. It's just fiscal reality.

4. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I'm not debating you, but I really can't wrap my head around the idea that he isn't recognized by modern guitarists.

What exactly is a modern guitarist?

AxemanVR likes this.

5. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Meister

Aug 12, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    I haven't liked that magazine since the late 1980's.

However immaterial my opinion may be about the magazine, one problem that I see with this sort of thing is that a lot of the legends are starting to die off. Premier Guitar and Vintage Guitar have obits and mini tributes for one or two guitarists in each issue these days. And its only going to get worse. Rock and roll is well past going grey.

I read an interview with a famous free form radio dj (whose name I can't remember) and he decided to retire because he said that he didn't want to stick around and do memorial shows for all the greats as time marches on. And this guy was no spring chicken either.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.

6. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha
    :( long live rock and roll?

LiteAsh likes this.

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    RIP Chuck Berry. Rock n roll is, in fact, dead :(

8. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Who is that guy?

9. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    I have a guitar magazine (only a few now) but it has the last discussion with George Harrison before he became ill and died.
    I won't part with it.
    Since the millennials seem to rule the world, what happens to all the good music clips, albums, appearances and interviews when great artists die- as they are? We still need a system of paper/film backup. It took me 2 years to retrieve Steely Dan's music. Some artists, like Arlo West, have taken their stuff off the net. A pity as I used to love playing along with the Cowboy Song AND it was great advertising for Wilde p/ups and good pine bodies. Sad.

guitarbuilder likes this.

10. amagras

amagras TDPRI Member

Oct 26, 2016
    CA
    But isn't that the job of guitar magazines? To spread the word about great guitar players?

11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Sadly, the primary job or all magazines, and especially guitar magazines is to sell ads/products.
    They are all about commerce.
    Precious little information is disseminated compared to the advertising barrage.
    It's worse now than ever due to the Internet domination/decimation of print media.
    Mr. Holdsworth was always a guitarist's guitarist, superlative and innovative, but never remotely commercially viable or successful.
    He was a great, and truly brave artist, with an astounding and singular playing style.
    RIP, sir.
    I actually have always, since first buying it in 1973 liked Guitar Player magazine.
    I even like Mike Molenda.
    Tough job, being editor-in-chief, and keeping a dying business model alive.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017

12. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I have a guitar magazine (only a few now) but it has the last discussion with George Harrison before he became ill and died.
    I won't part with it.
    Since the millennials seem to rule the world, what happens to all the good music clips, albums, appearances and interviews when great artists die- as they are? We still need a system of paper/film backup. It took me 2 years to retrieve Steely Dan's music. Some artists, like Arlo West, have taken their stuff off the net. A pity as I used to love playing along with the Cowboy Song AND it was great advertising for Wilde p/ups and good pine bodies. Sad

Here you go:

http://www.mojvideo.com/video-arlo-west-the-cow-boy-song/e89635c1d9e96f883bb3

https://www.shazam.com/artist/200542522/arlo-west

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017

13. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2006
    Framingham, MA
    Holdsworth was great, without a doubt. I met him one night during a break at one of his gigs; out on the sidewalk having a cigarette with the rest of us. He was a quiet and very unpretentious guy who added sly little comments to the conversation. But he's not a household name except at sites like this one.
    I'm not a regular buyer of guitar mags these days, either, but I have to wonder why the OP didn't open the magazine before buying to see what he was getting...

Obelisk likes this.

14. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I did. And I saw the tribute, but I thought there would be more based on previous experience.

15. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I have mixed feelings about saying this, but - I sometimes think print magazines just need to let go and raise the white flag.
    I wonder if they believe the current set of circumstances they are operating in will turn around.

16. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    When Holdsworth dies, there will be a better article.

17. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    By that I meant "younger" Even my 35 year old prog-rock playing son has only heard the name.

Nope. As unfortunate as it sounds, their job is to spread the word about popular players. That's what sells advertising because that's what sells magazines.

They do mention lesser-known "great" players, but it just doesn't make business sense to devote huge spreads to them. If they did they'd be gone.

18. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jul 17, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    I'm a Guitar Player magazine subscriber for probably 20 some years or more, with one gap of a few years. I look forward to every issue. I don't always get a lot out of every issue, some artists don't float my boat. But I commend the magazine for what it does. If you want to be introduced to artists you haven't necessarily heard before, it's a good place to turn to. It revisits the old guys. It's got an acoustic music section now. It's got the gear reviews. It's got the ads. I call that a bargain at $14 a year or whatever it is. And I have no issues with Mike Molenda, his letter from the editor feature is usually quite interesting.

drlucky likes this.

19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

???

jimash and RedRock like this.

20. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2014
    Arivaca AZ
    I haven't taken anything seriously in a guitar magazine in about 25 years. Everything is aimed at tweens teens and twenty year olds. If I took them seriously I would have to quadruple my instrument and accessory spending or I'd sound like 9*&%^(&. They exist only to make you spend more money.

Andy B and kuvash like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.