Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitar Lead Complements

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Pineears, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Texas
    Willie BB Nelson King.
    What!! You’re not giving the bass and drums a solo in each song?

I only do one song where the drummer and bass take a lead.

2. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    “Say, that’s a mighty nice Whirlwind you have there.”

“Aww, thanks, but it’s a Horizon.”

That’s the only kinda guitar lead compliments I get.

dougstrum likes this.

3. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Ha!

Interesting thing is that the drummer and bass player - although not doing solos, per se - actually get their own thing grooving quite often. We try not to over play, and also leave a lot of space. Not trying to do the speed punk thing (nothing wrong with that, just not our style). Knowing when not to play is just as important.

So even if I do go on a slightly extended solo, they will change up the groove, and it makes it even more interesting for me. We've been playing together for 15 years (20+ for me and the drummer), so we know each other's playing pretty well. It's fun because we play off each other, and sometimes a simple song can morph into some cool sounds (probably never to be repeated again!). We're not a Dead/Phish improv kind of band, but we definitely mix it up to keep it interesting.

Cheers,
    Doug

4. asatfan

asatfan Friend of Leo's

I'm not into jamming or long drawn out solos. I pretty much let the bandleader know that up front. Fortunately, I have a pedal steel player in both bands (same player and he's really good) and we know each other pretty well by now. We trade off on fills and split breaks. I've played in many bands where I was the only "lead" instrument. I get tired of playing a lead in every song, sometimes two or three. And, for gosh sakes, that can be anywhere from 40 to 80 guitar solos per gig.....I get tired of hearing myself play and I'm pretty sure there are folks in the audience who do too.

I'm always humbled when I receive a compliment. Last Saturday a guy told me my playing reminded him of Pete Anderson. I've always liked Pete's style and have copped a few of his licks, so I was real thankful for that.....even though it's a bit far fetched.

5. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    My bass player and I jammed with a friend of his who plays classic outlaw country. I played lap steel for the first two sets and Telecaster for the last. For some reason I was playing much differently then I do in our regular band. Tom, the bassist, really noticed and gave me compliments. I don't think he realized I could play like that. But I wasn't trying to hold down the rhythm or sing at the same time for a change.

asatfan likes this.

6. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta

nothing new. I remember awhile back I had joined a country music forum. The CMAs were on the night before and I asked a question, "who won best instrumentalist" and not a single person knew.

Most comments were along the lines of "I got up and went to the bathroom when they announced that" or something.

The best pickers on earth and the audience couldnt care less. Notice what product comes from Nashville,,, most of the "artists" are singers, who are alone on the CD cover. I can name a few bands, Mavericks, Lonestar etc... but most of what comes from Nashville now, and probably always has been... are SINGERS.

Only guitar players care about guitar now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.