Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitar Lead Complements

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Pineears, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Meister

I've had the same sort of experience when recording. Now, I've never quoted a song verbatim, it is more a feel that creeps in. For instance, on one project I was playing a rhythm part with Leslie. I looked up at the monitors and said, "Oh, crap. I'm channeling Joe Walsh, here." It was very similar to the Leslie thing in the James Gang's "Thanks." The chord progression was different but there I was arpeggiating the chord sequence through the Leslie.

As long as it isn't verbatim and deliberate, when I realize it is happening, I think, "Well, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree." :D

Bob

2. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    Never thought about it, but yup, that really works. Play to the people digging it.

I'm in one duo where we do get some applause after solos. But as mentioned above, we keep 'em short.

What I like best is riffing along with the song, playing fills or playing under (way under) the vocals. It dresses the whole thing up.

asatfan likes this.
  3. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Holic

Apr 17, 2007
    New England
    Serve the song, can't go wrong.
    Check your ego at the door!
    ;-)

brookdalebill likes this.
  4. twotone60

twotone60 Tele-Meister

Sep 14, 2011
    Charlottesville, va
    From ‘99 to ‘04 I played lead (only guitar) in an unapologetically loud hard rock band. We had a very popular, ballsy female front person and we worked as often as we wanted to in the various dive bars in the area. With my ‘65 Reverberocket cranked and compressor/tube screamer/delay going on most of the time, I could and did get away with murder playing lead in that band. It was fun.

No matter what else I played, the one thing that got compliments (almost exclusively from dudes) was Sweet Child o Mine. I found the intro effortless with hybrid picking, and so I played that well with lots of confidence. Honky Tonk Women also garnered a lot of praise.

For the last seven years, my main gig has been in a classic soul band, playing rhythm and fills 90% of the time, and staying in control. I love it, in no small part because our lead singer, who used to play drums with Eddie Floyd of Knock On Wood fame, is totally legit.

I had a weekly jazz gig for 11 years, as well, and kind of got burned out on that, so my side project now is instrumental funk ‘n roll. Meters to Beatles with lots of originals, so that’s my outlet for carrying on.

Paul in Colorado and bftfender like this.
  5. John How

John How Tele-Meister

Mar 22, 2016
    Auburn, Ca
    We have an annual concert in a park nearby where I live that is a bunch of bands that had some connection to the dead...how much guitar noodling do you think happens there...never seen anyone fall asleep yet...

6. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    The Best Compliment I have ever received was while playing a Biker Bar in the early 90's.
    This guy comes up to me, Stupid Drunk, and says: You are the Best Guitar player I have heard since I gotten out of Jail!
    Aside from that, I got nuthin!

asatfan and Pineears like this.
  7. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    FYI -- " i " versus " e " spellings:

• compl i mentary = pra i sing; as in "He was praised by their compliments."

• compl e mentary = compl e ting; as in "The complementary angle is the other half of a circle."

(wink,wink)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  8. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2016
    Texas
    Apple controls my spelling.

9. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    Funny, we work hard crafting a solo , pull it off without a gliche and then get yelled at for playing too loud ! Gotta love it ! :)

asatfan likes this.
  10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    These days, it seems that guitar solos only capture the attention of other guitarists. Attention spans are at an all-time low, and it's not getting any better.

Wrong-Note Rod and 1955 like this.
  11. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Honestly I dont think most people know what a guitar solo is any more. We played this place recently, lots of tunes like My Own Worst Enemy, Breed, and Basket Case. Not a guitar solo in sight but we added them. People were going nuts. I've never heard an audience screaming like that before. And they weren't even on fire or being attacked by a lion.

To be completely truthful the solos werent anything special. I was too busy with antics and jumping around, and making faces and etc. But thats what the band said they wanted from me and I delivered as best I could.

The point being people were blown away by mediocre solos pulled off with lots of attitude. I felt like thier music education was lacking but I dont think they are used to a guitarist throwing down like that.

12. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

in country bands, there are still solos... we are selling dance music and drinking music, so people expect solos. The key to keeping the audience is 'trading 8's' 'going around the horn' and splitting it up so that it sounds interesting and it jars the ear while still being close to the melody... modulating a step or to the 4 for the solo, coming back in on a chorus is good... most sucky bands are like 'what?' and are just trying to hammer through the song... I've been in good bands and bad bands... and I've been okay and sucked in them... and you can really hear the difference...

13. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    There are a few songs where they contain identity solo's. Iconic if you will. If we play them close people notice, if we don't play them and play some alternative variation, people notice. If we don't play any solo, I suspect it's noticed. I know I notice !

for ex; Eagles songs. My take, either play the identity solo's (or close) or don't play the songs, they are as important as the lyrics and melody lines.

People other than guitar players notice , come to think of it, why does it matter if only other musicians notice ?

Solo's are very important , part of each song, and as stated directly above, bands that have orchestrated solo's stand out. And they don't have to be great...

Many times on other forums this discussion takes place, some players will say " I don't play whats on the record, I play my own thing " . In some cases thats ok, but in some songs, well known songs, it's NOT ok, solo's may very well be part of the complete picture.

I also play in Country bands, have for decades, we have solo's...lots of them ! Solo's from the stock "whats on the record" to total ad-lib. But we always start with the "recorded" solo's or as close as we can get. This keeps the songs recognizable.

Then add this, on all of the gigs I play I am required to play instrumentals , thats right, no singing ! :) I guarantee people notice ! :eek:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  14. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    If the closing solo of "Who's Crying Now" (Journey) were ever played differently, whoever played it differently would probably get hit in the teef by a beer bottle.

The solo in "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is simply the melody of the verses, but if you tried playing it any differently, you'd probably get hit in the teef with a beer bottle.

The solo in "Crazy Train" - same thing. If you can't nail that thing note-for-note, you're better off not playing the song in public because you might get hit in the teef with a beer bottle.

With the exception of these and a handful of other signature solos, people really don't pay much attention to what the guitarist is doing anymore. I saw Kenny Wayne Shepherd probably around 2000 or 2001 and he was doing these 15-minute guitar solos - the people right up front were getting into it, and the rest of us were like, "Not this again...".

15. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    The deal is simple. If they want to dance to Twist and Shout or G-L-O-R-I-A , the price is listening to me extend something else into a 10 minute jam.

1) I’m not doing this for money
    2) I didn’t buy this wah pedal to look cool.

basher and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    It’s ironic that I got into playing guitar because of cool solos.
    George Harrison, Stephen Stills, and Don Rich were early heroes.
    After playing 51 years, and gigging 45 of those years, I don’t like to solo.
    I strive to play smart, succinct ones.
    I occasionally succeed.
    I abhor guitar-blather.

Harry Styron, asatfan and Pineears like this.
  17. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2016
    Texas
    I like your M.O. What I enjoy now after many years is some coloring I am now able to throw in while I’m singing.

brookdalebill likes this.
  18. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

Jun 7, 2007
    Washington, DC
    The one audience compliment I've gotten on my soloing was from a guy who was really impressed that I'd learned the solo from "Cherub Rock" by Smashing Pumpkins. I didn't have the heart to tell him I'd only played the first couple of phrases and winged the rest.

3-Chord-Genius and Pineears like this.
  19. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

Oct 6, 2015
    blu ridge mtn cabin
    Most of the compliments I've gotten over the years are from people who come up after a
    break and say you sound just like........One night two people came up after the same set;
    one said you sound just like BB King and the other says you sound just like Willie Nelson;)

Generally if people like what you are doing they probably just compare you to thier favorite
    player.

Pineears likes this.
  20. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I play in a trio (drums, guitar, bass) that plays an eclectic mix of country, blues, classic rock, jazzy stuff, etc.

It's really hard to do the trading 8's thing!

I have to be careful not to overdo solos since there's not anyone else to mix it up with.

Although I guess since I play all the solos (and all the chords too!) I get my rockstar fix well enough by the end of a gig!

But to be honest, the compliments I get are more for the whole band vs just me, which I suppose is a good thing since it's a commentary on how well we present the entire song and not just the parts.

But I have had a few guys compliment me and then ask for lessons. Most have never even picked up a guitar and are most likely not willing to put in the time and effort to become proficient enough to gig. Heck I've been playing for 45 years and I'm still learning (and have a loooong ways to go!).

Cheers,
    Doug

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.