Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitar Lead Complements

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Pineears, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Texas
    Thinking back many years as best I can remember, the only time I got complements on my guitar lead that I worked so hard on was from another guitar player. Sometimes I’ve performed songs I just learned without a guitar lead (still working on it) and never had a comment of where’s the guitar lead.

2. flatout9

flatout9 Tele-Holic

Aug 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Brent Mason talked about this on a Truetone interview. Analytics are showing that listeners lose interest during lead breaks... Somewhat depressing to hear.

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    That’s interesting. Do you happen to have a link? I’d like to watch.

My experience is that a short (verse or chorus length or less) SIMPLE lead break in an original song seems to generate some interest from the crowd. Not based on technical prowess but just because a change (from the vocals) is noticed.

One of my projects has two guitars, accordion, and sometimes mandolin and stand up bass. Any of us might take a lead break on any song. Usually generating some polite clapping.

So anecdotally a simple lead seems appreciated by the crowd and useful. But I could see a long or complex or fast solo making folks check out mentally.

bftfender and nojazzhere like this.

4. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    I have never seen anyone check out mentally during the Stairway lead. Just saying. Comfortably Numb is another one. Free Bird. There are some more I’m sure. It’s just that the average stiff’s leads are just not very entrancing. That means me too.

41144 and nojazzhere like this.

5. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Texas
    So I’m playing lead for maybe one guy out of 200-300 in the audience.

Asmith likes this.

6. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    good question is leads..in studio full CD done actually today with final mix to do..and we get to go in and listen to each song and add what we would want !! did not over lead and purposefully left parts out ..listening all summer to them..starting to understand less is more ..not going to go back and ad a whole lot.Yes there is leads where they need to be ..but seems instinctively, was concentrating on making harmony or octave parts to compliment the riffs or vocals..i love leads and i wonder if us, as players are so hyper critical of our leads..seems we fret over them so much...the older i get ..the simplicity and continuity of a song vs superstar shredding seems to be working

7. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Texas
    I just went and wrote myself some notes in the studio. Primarily to try combining vocals into the lead guitar space.

bftfender likes this.

8. flatout9

flatout9 Tele-Holic

Aug 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Its a series of 3 videos but I think it's in the 2nd one where he talks about it... Fun to watch either way.

RodeoTex, Toadtele and Pineears like this.

9. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2018
    Kansas
    As we know there are certain songs where the lead is just as recognizable to the song as the melody. Songs in which you have to nail that lead, if you do people will notice. As for the rest of the songs where a lead can be ad libbed it's as noticeable as if you didn't play one at all.

I gave up the guitar hero years ago now I concentrate on having a good sound and trying to contribute as much to the song as possible without overplaying. With that approach I'm complimented still by other musicians but my services have been requested by other bands. Being recognized by other bands is more flattering than having some drunk guy tell me I melted his face with my lead.

When I was younger I was automatically cool with the girls for simply owning a guitar lol!

10. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I try to incorporate a ‘millenial whoop’ into every solo these days.

Everone knows that the best solos are the ones that you can hum along with. They tend to be thematic or counter points to the song itself.
    Imagine any Cars tune minus the clever Hawkes or Easton solos that punctuated them. Imagine Fire In The Hole without the amazing piano solo Fagen worked so long to create. The Wind Cries Mary without Jimi’s perfect solo would be aweful..

People loosing interest in any portion of a song just means its not written or played well.

This is why I cant listen to Joe Bonamassa. The tune typically exist as a medium for him to vomit riffs over... at least thats how iit comes accross to me. jmho.

11. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Yorkshire
    Years ago, I read to find the one person in the audience who is really enjoying what you're doing and focus on them. By making it special for them, your whole playing improves.

12. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Texas
    If you go to Nashville and walk into a bar, you hear the Guitar Leads overplayed by about 1000%. People expect it and love it.

SPUDCASTER and 4pickupguy like this.

13. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Meister

Oh, I don't know. The last few times I got someone out of his/her seat it was a couple of lady clients when I played back solos I had recorded for their songs. One is a vocalista and loves fiery guitar solos. The other is an executive producer, banker-looking lady. They actually jumped out of their seats and one got tears and gave me a hug. Kind of gratifying, actually. Now, they were short solos. :D

Bob

Pineears likes this.

14. 4pickupguy

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    We’re still talking guitar solos right?

twotone60 likes this.

15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    On my two visits to Nashville, every player in every venue I went to was skilled far beyond what I ever see around Austin.
    I heard great players, in many styles.
    No one overplayed.
    It was wonderfully refreshing!

16. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    Playing leads is the only reason I play live anymore.

17. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Meister

Hahahahahaha! I see what you did there.

Bob

18. 4pickupguy

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I remember while I was struggling through school to get my aircraft mechanics license, I would take any and every job that came along. I was getting very little sleep between school and playing at night. One was providing some guitar for this country song writing frontman type. The songs were actually pretty good and he had a great voice. All the basic tracks were down except for electric guitar. I laid down the rhythm tracks very minimally. Trying to remain tasteful and not go in ‘guns blazing’ and stomp all over the vocals, besides, I was fighting to stay awake and alert. It came time to lay down some solos and I frickin’ nailed it out of the chute!! They were overjoyed! We were listening to a mix tweek later, and I caught a comment by the engineer under his breath... “that solo worked for Dickey Betts too...” I said “wait!” roll it back to the solo.... and there it was (>_<)...
    One of the solos was almost note for note straight out of a popular Allman Bros song!! This was the late 80’s so we could’nt just google it but we didnt need to. Once you made the connection, it was obvious. I was so ashamed and embarassed. They asked me to come back and re-record the solo and I did... for free (>_<). I did not hear it until it was pointed out... Now, I am very self concious about leads all these years later. I almost always have and general structure or theme in mind.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    Bob Womack and Pineears like this.

19. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    I often get compliments on my guitar leads.

I think it's because I use the ones with the silent jack plugs.

4pickupguy likes this.

20. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Texas
    Most of my lead complements are “you’re too loud”. One of my well developed skills is volume.

4pickupguy likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.