GUITAR KITS?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Squiretele777, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Squiretele777

Squiretele777 TDPRI Member

Hi,I,m thinking about ordering a guitar kit,my only concern is its being shipped from Austraila,4 to 6 week delivery,wondering if it would get to Nova Scotia without any damage,,anyone know where to order from Canada or the U.S.A ? Thanks.

2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Most kits come from China in boxes. If you are buying on fleabay you will be covered for any damage anyway. Australia is expensive for shipping. Have you looked for the same kits elsewhere or are these kits actually made in Australia?

I bought a kit jazz bass from a seller called something like kit guitars in Australia. It has a distinct 3 piece body with off centre seams running at a slight angle down the body making it unsuitable for a transparent type finish. The body edge is a little wobbly too. It's ok for the money, something like $120 bucks delivered. The cheap ones are ok for a fun project but you could probably get better quality for the money with a used instrument.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Squiretele777 likes this.
  3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I bought my Mosrite JR kit from TheFretwire.com. They're US based, sell Chinese made kits and have good customer service. I think their kits are the same as those sold by the Aussie company.

RodeoTex and Squiretele777 like this.
  5. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

What makes you think Stew Mac is shipping these from Australia? I don't see any indications of that on the site. There are a million kits for sale now as others mentioned.

6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Is your favorite part of a guitar kit the sanding/painting/finishing? Or the other pieces? I don't like sanding and the other bits so I've found better kits for me in searching locally for 'project' guitars or starter guitars kids trashed. Fixing those up is just like starting with a kit except minimal finishing unless I really want to.

CFFF likes this.
  7. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Who said they thought that? I just posted the s-m link cuz they are selling kits in N America....

8. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

That's the same kit as the $80-$100 cozart/solo kits, maybe with a $20 or something wood upgrade.

Very stew mac as far as price for what you get. They do have a sale deal going where you buy two and only pay the same price for two of them (plus a little) as you would four from somewhere else.

$110 for a bound mahogany kit from Solo (is that a canadian seller?) - same hardware, probably from the same seller in china.

Pickups, tuners, probably the switch and pots are all out if you're trying to make a decent guitar with that chinese type. If you're building as a newbie, you do get a lot for your money with the neck and body and a usable bridge (most of those have holes for top loader, too, but SM doesn't specify - the one solo sells does).

9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Tuners are fine on my Fretwire Mosrite kit, much better than what you'll find on cheaper Squiers and Epiphones.

I did upgrade the pickups to get a hotter bridge single coil and a Firebird type neck mini-HB. The stock neck HB wasn't bad though, just a little darker than what I wanted.

I also upgraded the electronics with a better switch and jack along with full size pots (no-load tone) and a Orange Drop cap.

10. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

I don't know the situation in the US or Canada, but in the EU it's pretty easy to buy pretty good quality bodies (even bare wood if you want that) and necks. Combine that with a decent bridge and tuners and some good pickups and electronics, and you can easily have a killer guitar. Your budget and skills define the quality of the guitar, but I suspect that would be better than the regular kits.

11. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

I buy all my set necks from Precision Guitar from Vancouver Canada. Top quality stuff!!! I don't even buy Gibsons anymore.

https://precisionguitarkits.com/

rjp68, Squiretele777 and Cobra1957 like this.
  12. Squiretele777

I,m probally wrong,but it said 4 to 6 weeks for delivery.the price was listed in pound notes.

13. Squiretele777

This will be my first guitar kit,when I do order one,so I cant say what would be my favorite part.

14. Squiretele777

Hi,the website says 4 to 6 weeks for shipping,looks like it is being shipped from Australia,but it says free shipping to Canada,i sent them a few questions,but haven,t heard back yet.

15. Chunkocaster

The cheaper guitar kits are fun to put together if you are into painting and setting up etc. The good thing about them is for low cost you can have a lacquer finished guitar in whatever color you like. You can also tint the necks vintage amber if you are into that look. You can get them so far with setting up etc but they are still budget guitars and the tuners, hardware and wiring might be worth upgrading if it plays nice and you think it's worth sinking more money into when completed.

16. Squiretele777

Thanks,I,m looking forward to trying one of these kits,i am choosing a les paul style with a spalted top,bolt on neck,thought I might use a amber woo stain and spray a gloss laquer for a finish,it will be my first kit,so im guessing I will be a while putting it togeather.I do bird carvings,so I am a little familiar with paint,might go that road also.

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      170.5 KB
      Views:
    Chunkocaster likes this.
  17. Chunkocaster

Those birds look great. Hope it goes smoothly for you. Look forward to seeing pics when it's completed.

18. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Some of those prices are just outrageous considering they're the same China kits, or very close to it, PGK excluded.

Inexpensive kits are all over ebay, aliexpress, etc. It seems you're not looking for anything out of the ordinary & it's your first build i'd go that route.

19. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I had great results with an "RAS" brand kit I got on eBay ($75 auction win, seller was "senior"). I assembled it carefully, learned to level the frets, cut the nut slots, etc., and after three years or so, I still can't believe what an excellent guitar it turned out to be. I never even changed the tuners, which work fine (and it's a 12-string).

So, maybe I got lucky with my kit, but based on my experience, I can suggest the RAS kits.

bender66 and Squiretele777 like this.
  20. Squiretele777

Yup,I,ll look into that,i,m open to lower prices

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.