Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitar greats that you just don't get?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Verzila, Dec 14, 2017.

1. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    It's great to have a thread where you can pretend that anybody cares who you don't like...:D

drlucky, Peregrino69, MDent77 and 4 others like this.

2. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    That's what I admire him for! Although he did steal wardrobe cues from Village People.

ac15 likes this.

3. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I agree with you almost. I never was into EVH growing up but listening back to VH1 today and considering he was about 19 or 20 when they made that record he's one of those guys whose imitators made me dislike him. There is a loose, bluesy thing about EVH's playing that makes him instantly recognizable - even with all the imitators.

I think I own the first LP on vinyl but I'm not really a fan (saw him once with my friends in maybe 1990/91) that being said, I get it.

Ditto Beck. Not the biggest fan but Blow by Blow is a pretty inspiring record.

4. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    The kimonos and conch belts were ridiculous.

Maybe more ridiculous than the Village People, who at least knew they looked ridiculous.

Colo Springs E and noah330 like this.

5. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA

6. 3fngrs

3fngrs Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    One of Donald's finest moments!

RoyBGood and 8barlouie like this.

7. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2011
    Glendale, AZ
    Don't blame that on him. They didn't come around until after he was gone. He's got about as much responsibility for the Blooze Daddies as Lennon and McCartney have for Oasis.

Mid Life Crisis likes this.

8. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I would rather listen to Village People's Greatest Hits than SRV's Greatest Hits.
    Or the Village People have for SRV! If I have to listen to a guitar player dressed like a lady I'll take Vinnie Cusano, at least he could write songs and when he picked up the guitar GE Smith got stuck on bass!

RoyBGood likes this.

9. BGTele

BGTele Tele-Afflicted

May 6, 2008
    West New Jersey
    When I was in my teens, before Hendrix, I was already following a thread of inspiration from Chuck Berry to Hubert Sumlin to Michael Bloomfield. Hendrix came out and played exaggerated licks in the old blues style. It didn't sound emotionally true. Sounded like it was for attention like Blue Cheer.
    Same with Cream, didn't sound true. The truth of this is demonstrated by the fact that Hendrix, Cream, Mountain style music is gone. Blues still burns on in its simplicity.

10. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Meister

Aug 25, 2016
    I kinda secretly wish my favorite players had never found any success whatsoever, because widespread acclaim makes me question whether they were really any good to begin with :D

Billnchristy likes this.

11. Touchdownslim

Touchdownslim TDPRI Member

Dec 14, 2017
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Exactly, the term "legend" when applied to an artist is a hackneyed media contrivance. They can't sell it if it's not "new" or controversial.
    We are all here because of our divergent opinions, not in spite of them, my legend is your hack etc.

12. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2010
    Melbourne
    Totally with you until the Edge. Can't stand any of the virtuosos. Guitar masturbation. Self indulgent musical drivel. And I don't particularly like U2 but I admire Edge's ability to make cool sounds from simple playing and good use of effects. Music is about sounds, not pointless virtuosity.

It's usually the guys who love the virtuosos who hate Edge. So you're a bit incongruous. ;)

kLyon likes this.

13. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Good way to appreciate other artists and styles is to try to do some of their stuff for their audience and see how you stack up. There are guitarists that I don't listen to, but every one has their own way of approaching music. A player does not have to be (my idea) of "great" for me to like their playing. In fact, some of my favorite music was created by mediocre and even awful musicians. It took me a good deal of live guitar playing to start recognizing just how great the greats are, and not long at all to realize that I was never going to even be close. But I do know what I am good at.

14. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I think I might be with you...but I have to know. How freaking old are you? You were in your teens before Hendrix?o_O

15. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yup, or Neil Young.

pdcorlis likes this.

16. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Both.

rich815 likes this.

17. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2014
    West Australia
    Did Chuck call EC 'Eric Charlton' at the end of that clip?
    Keith pulling the piss in the background is gold....

18. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    I feel that "I Don't Like Mondays" is completely exploitative of the events that inspired the song. Bob Geldolf should be ashamed of himself. :mad:

Colo Springs E and RoyBGood like this.

19. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

That, and this one - one of the best guest voice performances ever:

Bruxist likes this.

20. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Please describe the guitar in your Avatar ! o_O:D Looks Awesome !!!
    131557.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.