Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitar greats that you just don't get?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Verzila, Dec 14, 2017.

1. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006
    I would guess that seeking popularity or financial gain were not motives in the creation of that song and honoring his son motivates his playing it.

Colo Springs E and william tele like this.

2. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

Oct 28, 2009
    Galveston, TX
    Now we could do a best guitarist list and find the very same names on it...
    :)

3. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    SRV. Nothing new or innovative that I've ever heard, and I haven't listened to everything he's ever done.

Great player. Doesn't strike me as anyone who ever did anything that nobody had done before.

If I look at a Chet Atkins, Hendrix, Beck, Van Halen, Jerry Garcia, etc... I can point to innovation in their playing. Just don't see what he did that nobody else had done. Kind of a cartoon IMHO.

atomfissure likes this.

4. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2017
    Baltimore
    The whole, "Oh yeah? Let's hear YOUR playing!" line of attack continues to be worthless.

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I think it's a fair thing to say. There's a lot of armchair quarterbacks out there, so to speak.
    But like I said, come on down to Mickey's next Friday, and hear for yourself.

Just don't bug me, I'll be busy working.

sonicsmitty likes this.

6. atomfissure

atomfissure Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I think that's a fair assessment. I wonder how much of his popularity is due to the fact that he made that style of blues more accessible to folks with more mainstream tastes.

7. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2017
    Baltimore
    Sure, it's fair. But I don't think it negates the player's right to have an opinion.

8. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2017
    Baltimore

9. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2017
    Baltimore
    Aw what the crud. I screwed that one up.
    Oh well!

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

New thread: threads you don't get.

darkwaters, bender66, faulp and 6 others like this.

11. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Yeah, don't get me wrong the guy could play but I don't know that there's anything all that unique about his style. I could say the same thing about Slash I suppose.

12. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006
    He was hinting at something original on his last album and I saw him shortly before he died. He had a lot of unleashed greatness ahead.

13. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Possibly, but I guess the greats don't hint at greatness. I think he was a great player, just not one of the greats.

14. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Mar 1, 2011
    Beltway, USA
    Jeez, I don't know where to begin. Let's start with Clapton, OK? My first exposure to him was in grade school with the Cream albums, but his time with Derek and the Dominos seared into my brain my definition of blues rock. And please don't tell me he's not a good player. I know he isn't. He's a great player. If you are better than him, then I guess you're a greater player and that's OK, too.

And that's really the crux of it. Who speaks to you with their playing. It's all personal, isn't it? It's not about technical ability, although some is certainly required, but what you have to say how you say/play it.

The fact that is, we have choices and what we choose defines us. I never liked Rap. Just didn't get it. After I realized how many people chose it as their number one music, I told myself that Rap is just as legit as any music, despite the fact it doesn't speak for me.

How boring would it be if we all agreed and there was just one type of music?

I won't say who I don't like, but a few of my favorite players are:

EC
    Pete Townsend
    Tom Verlaine
    Anybody in Los Lobos
    Steve Stills
    Dave Edmunds
    Jorma
    Mick Taylor (with the Stones)
    Countless and to me nameless guitarists playing behind frontmen.

15. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2011
    Glendale, AZ
    It was unique back in 1983 when Texas Flood came out. You remember 1983, don't you? The Police, Eurythmics, Flashdance, Men Without Hats, Madonna, etc. Not exactly rootsy bunch.

Besides, Blues is like Country; more about mastering the craft than innovation. Not many of SRV's predecessors, that everyone claims he ripped off, were as innovative as Jimi or EVH.

william tele likes this.

16. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    And Clapton has many times admitted that what he played was learned from the old black blues players.
    But the thing is if it were not for Clapton and a few other British guitarists the blues would have went the way of Barbershop quartets and Doo Wop.

guitarbuilder likes this.

17. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I guess it was unique for a pop album. There were plenty of records out there by 1983 that had done (guitar wise) what he was doing.

I guess the silly 80s videos were unique for a blues artist.

18. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    Yeah, he probably would have appreciated Terry Kath’s playing (if he actually saw him), but I have heard that “quote” from Hendrix referring to a couple of other guitar players as well (Phil Keaggy, for example), so I think that is pretty much approaching urban legend status.

19. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    Come on out and say it......he also spawned the (teh) blooze daddy craze!

noah330 likes this.

20. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Holic

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Most of the "virtuosos"... YAWN ...

Folks like Steve Vai, Yngwie, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, Paul Gilbert, John Petrucci, EVH, even Jeff Beck to a degree. I would live a long happy life never hearing any of them play again.

It's all sterile, sappy, over-thought, perfectly intonated noise pollution. If any of those guys ever bent a note flat, or better yet with no intended "target," I'd be much happier with them.

Outside of Cream, Eric Clapton has been the Michael Bolton of guitar players. His solo on "My Back Pages" at the Bob Dylan anniversary concert is awesome though, only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Honorable mention: The Edge, but he doesn't really count because he isn't a guitar player, he's a(n) insert your favorite expletive here.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.