Guitar greats that you just don't get?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Verzila, Dec 14, 2017.

1. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

At one time they were pretty much the top musical act in the world, by far. Absolute legends.

2. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Holic

You cant really say all fast music is not good, also they play loads slow melodic licks in their songs as well, and mostly just a few fast parts that seem to fit in well.

Take look at all old famous music many had fast parts to spice them up as well, incidently i dont mind Edge.

3. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

"The wee wee hours".... that's when I wake up at 2:30 AM having to urinate. I hate it, and I'm glad someone wrote a blues song discussing this.

4. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

True there, I was over-reacting to "didn't we have this discussion like half a year ago for third time?" :p I didn't assume that, but can see why it seems that way... point was just "making a life doing what they love". Was "a bit" tired, five days with flu and throat infection, couldn't do nothing but sleep but getting no rest. Hate that :p

The Edge's the first one I've actually ever heard saying that. An interview from when they were on their top game, interviewer asking about how he feels to be the new guitar god or something. Sez him something along the lines "That's weird, I'm not a guitar player in the first place, I play the effects. I just do <plink plonk pop-a plunk> and the effects take care of the rest". That was before multi-effects were a thing, the pedalboard on the floor was abso-ducking-lutely ginormous.

I think that's a fair assessment, and I also think he's one of the best effects users out there. Whether that's musically interesting is a different question altogether. Me being originally a keyboardist find his soundscapes pretty enchanting.

5. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Meister

Fast and slow playing doesn't equal good and bad or vice versa. I think it's really hard to play well fast, to present an idea and not just race through scales and arpeggios. It's also a lot nicer to listen to mediocre slow playing than fast. There's usually more music in there.

The guitar hero thing started with Hendrix and Clapton etc. and it made a comeback in the 80's with the shredders. I can certainly understand Clapton turning away from it all. But I think it has never really gone from jazz, you really got to show some chops to make your mark. Blues on the other hand is simple but very few have the ability make it interesting. In my opinion mediocre blues is boring because it's so hard find meaning in something that's been done over and over so many times. Mediocre jazz is boring because you have to be pretty good to even get to that level and very few have the skill and drive to go beyond that and create something meaningful.

Great guitarists and any other instrumentalists I think are often more defined by there limitations (Monk, Santana, John Lee Hooker) and sometimes (not always) do-it-all session aces may leave you cold. One of my favorite guitarists Steve Morse is a little bit of both. I think he sometimes gets a little carried away with his formidable skills but I like him because he can still bring rock'n'roll in all his jazz-country-prog-art excursions.

Here's the more of the same a while ago: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/acclaimed-guitarists-you-dont-get.770822/

I believe Al Di Meola was mentioned there. I sort of get it, I've enjoyed to a lot similar fusion, but for some reason he leaves me cold.

One more thing, do we mean "getting" the music or the fame and reputation of the guitarist? They are two different things, aren't they.

6. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson TDPRI Member

David Gilmour. I hate Pink Floyd. Barf barf barf.

7. Chatnoir

Chatnoir Tele-Holic

It was also not about his son. His son's song was "The Day the Circus Left Town," as that was the last time they were together.

8. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson TDPRI Member

I don't like music that's made for other guitar players. Some of these dudes fall into that category.

ac15 and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  9. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Meister

I get the point but it's hard to imagine someone thinking "Hmm, I'm gonna make music for guitar players".;)

10. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Yngwie Malmsteen.

11. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Platinum Supporter

LOL! There are two years since I was last on the TDPRI, but obviously some things never change ... ;-)

12. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I'll name a few of them: Bonamassa, SRV, Malmsteen, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Peter Green-era Fleetwood Mac, Paul Gilbert. Just a few. I like a few of them, though.

13. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

Pretty much same here. I don't listen to anyone considered a "guitar great." I don't care for that style of music at all; I loathe classic rock and blues. But I have no reason to criticize or condemn what they do; just because I don't like it doesn't mean it's not valid.

14. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

With all of the Clapton talk in this thread, what are the odds that I open up a new pack of Ernie Ball strings and find this staring at me halfway the the packet !!! o_O

EPI LES PAULS 002.jpg 14838990.gif ROCKERGYRL.jpg graphics-music-209883.gif

15. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

Enough people have shared my disinterest in SRV here already, so I will just add Jerry Garcia and Randy Rhodes.

drlucky likes this.
  16. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

I gave Clapton credit after bashing him, I did say that only a Sith deals in absolutes so I totally hear where you're coming from. EVH is different than the typical virtuoso but I still don't like his playing all that much :)

Thanks for the compliment, I'm flattered :D

Music is about sounds but I just don't like any of the ones the Edge makes. Look into Kurt Neumann from the BoDeans, that guys does more playing but still plenty of cool things coming from outside the guitar.

At least he acknowledges it! Look above at my recommendation to the other sort-of edge fan, I'll also throw Tom Morello out there as a more interesting non-traditional player (meaning they are heavy effects users).

17. oldgofaster

oldgofaster Tele-Meister

Vernon Reid

actually, only heard him open for the Stones('80s) and it was just horrible noise.

He might be fine now......

drlucky likes this.
  18. Peregrino69

Oh definintendo! And of course there was the late great Stuart Adamson. Absolute masters of their effect boards.

However Morello's relying on 5 FX, Adamson used four... vs. The Edge's 40-ish out of which I think 7 (or more) are multi-FX - he's an absolute nutjob :D Also their aims are different; Morello's emulating hip hop DJs, Adamson was into bagpipes. The Edge's basically filling in for the 70's -80's keyboardist (think Jon Lord, Keith Emerson or maestro Jarre). Like I said, soundscapes :)

19. Peregrino69

Oooh, it makes me wonder... did EB pay Clapton to use his image to promote strings, or did Clap pay EB to promote his album? :D

20. Peregrino69

I still love the old VH. But haven't heard Eddie in years - there is or there was?

[​IMG]

The very definition of extreme free jazz :p

When you have a winning formula, changing it will only make people mad :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.