Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitar for 80’s songs

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by yazam2014, Jan 17, 2018.

1. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

2. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011

3. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

Apr 15, 2016
    Australia
    It's all in the hair.

Bruxist likes this.

4. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Now you tell me! I just manscaped!

Bruxist and MDent77 like this.

5. yazam2014

yazam2014 Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2014
    malaysia
    Bruxist likes this.

6. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2008
    Northern Va.
    A strat or Les Paul will work nicely for that era. Yeah, there were a lot of "high performance" strat-ish guitars out there, but a standard strat and LP never went out of style.
    You might look for an old Aria Pro II. Would be inexpensive, and do the job quite well.
    For what it's worth, I played the purple one in the 80s-90s.

100_0311.JPG

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018

7. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Ibanez is always a good bet, get an S or an RG series, they will tick all the boxes and then some.
    [​IMG]

Jakedog and Sollipsist like this.

8. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Gibson Les Paul. I remember more of the 80s guys playing those than Kramer, Ibanez and BC Rich even if it didn't seem so when I remember those days.

A lot of those guys were into Kiss, Aerosmith, Zeppelin and T.Rex so it makes sense.

I bought an Ibanez MIJ S something or other in a pawn shop last year. Beautiful Strat style neck and HSH pickups. It was less than $40. Great guitar.

9. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Even the new low budget Ibanez GRG are great.

10. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Unless you need the *look* to go along with it... Yngwie proved that you can rock out and shred with a good ol' strat!

[​IMG]

The tone from that era was less about the guitar and more about the amps and effects. The guitars from that era and genre were more about the look than anything else, really. I'd say go with a good Strat or Les Paul... versatile, will work with most any genre, and you aren't stuck with a "super strat" you may not want to play out elsewhere when the gig is up.

Nothing wrong with super-strats mind you... I've had my fair share of Ibanez's over the years and still have a JS series hanging on the wall... but they aren't required for the tone you are going after... they are more about the look.

3-Chord-Genius and gitlvr like this.

11. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    ^ Yngwie Malmsteen did not have the typical 80's guitar tone that everybody else had, however. It was and still is a great tone, but I think a bridge humbucker typifies the 80's guitar sound. So much in fact that you could get away with a guitar that only has a bridge humbucker. I don't recall hearing the middle or neck pickup in any of that music.

Jakedog likes this.

12. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Dimarzio HS-3 pickups are not what I'd call "Classic strat" pickups.

Jakedog and brobar like this.

13. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Me neither... I guess you could also throw some Dimarzio Evolutions in a Les Paul too if you want. I change the pickups in my teles... but I still call 'em teles. The point was, you don't have to go with a super strat unless you really just want that *look*... you can get the sound without having to look the part. =)

But then again... if you feel you need the fringe leather, the long hair with a fan blowing it like there is a breeze in the club, and you have Vai's green boots... maybe a super-strat is the way to go! =)

boots.png

tery likes this.

14. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland

15. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2017
    USA
    I don't have a recommendation for you, but you have my sympathy. ;)

16. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Anything with a hockey stick reversed headstock.:p

17. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2016
    New England
    At 5:33 of this video, Steve Via (doing a rig rundown) sums up part of the 80's rock decade succinctly. Heh Heh

(Now that my hair is like Mick Jones of Foreigner (currently) I'm more properly delegated to 70's covers. )

18. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    Something ugly, overwound and overcomplicated ought to do the trick.

19. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2011
    Glendale, AZ
    Yamaha RGX, they were ubiquitous back then.

20. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

Ibanez JEM. Will hold its value too. Let's face it, they've been good enough for Steve Vai for decades now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.