Guitar Fetish?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Marc Morfei, Feb 14, 2019.

1. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I've had very good luck with their pickups and hardware. Very good value for the price.

RogerC and crazydave911 like this.
  2. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Well said.

I bought one of those unfinished set neck teles during one of the sales. The finished ones looks like a$$ at the neck joint.

So far all I've done is just check that the neck is set at the proper angle so as not to be futzing with bridge/saddle height. I'll dig up a bridge & see if the route is in the proper place. Like so many other projects, it's still in a box to keep with my hoarding tendency. :)

BB likes this.
  3. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

I TRY to order from them but always fail at checkout. Why? Because their shipping charges are akin to forced prison "affection". And try this on for size. Their "sales" regardless of what they are, always amount to free shipping. Their item prices get raised ever so slightly and basically, its not really a sale.

I never feel I really get a deal.

bender66 likes this.
  4. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I have found their bodies to fit perfectly as the neck pocket is cut great to Fender specs. I don't think their pickups are good ( maybe I'll try the Gold foils and make a Coodercaster).
    I definitely don't think their rails p/ups humbuckers for Teles sound anything like a Tele p/up should
    and gave set to guy here, he thought the same but they suited a style of music he was playing.
    GuitarFetish seem to be a bit " hit and miss" to me. USPS postage is outrageous and the cost of a body is the same as postage. I think I'll go back to mighty Mite for partscasters- never been disappointed, nor my fellow builder friends, with their stuff since the late 70s.

5. Wizard1962

Wizard1962 TDPRI Member

I had used Guitar Fetish for some pickup in the past. They worked well.

Then I ordered one of their best necks, 2 of the fret wires fell out of the rosewood fretboard. I contacted them about the issue. They said use lemon oil on the fretboard and hammer the frets back in...
    Would not offer a replacement neck.
    So tried to hydrate the wood and install the frets, still would not stay in.

Tried to contact them again. Nothing...no replies.

Will prob never use GFS for anything else
    Its buyer beware

6. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

I had to use a digitizer on a CNC machine on mine and “mill it” to correct the neck pocket for my Warmoth neck (shape and depth). I digitized the body shape because the pickgaurds they sell for them dont even close to the same shape.
    E7748328-D467-4B12-B539-D0A501ED79AA.jpeg
    Now I have all the programs I need to be able to buy their $55 painted body.
    All that said, the palowina bodies are super feather light and make super resonant and spritely guitars. Next is going to be red.

7. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Same here. I'm a big fan of their pickups. They're really hard to beat at those prices, and the Wilkinson hardware is nice as well.

8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

As I kind of mentioned earlier in this thread I found their gold foils lacking from this tonal aspect. They will do a 60's trashy tone good enough, think Sears catalog guitar, but are lacking the sought after classic Teisco or Dearmond tones that you can get from the much more expensive Lollar and Mojotone gold foils.

I did actually use a GFS vintage wound P90 as a base to get something close to this tone. I rehoused it in a nickel-silver soapbar case and that really worked well.

9. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

Lashdog likes this.
  10. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

I've bought bridges, trems, tuners and pickguard blanks and will continue to. The horror stories for bodies and necks seem to outweigh the successful ones.

11. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I've been happy enough with the few items of theirs I bought, it's the customer service (or lack thereof) that I wasn't fond of.

Newbcaster likes this.
  12. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

When it comes to any parts for guitars, it's best to comparison shop.

Here's an example comparing a set of Fender style vintage tuners.

Guitar Fetish - Wilkinson Tuners - $28.95 plus shipping ($8.95 USPS Priority Mail)

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Wilkin...ers-Six-for-Stratsreg-and-Telesreg_p_891.html

Amplified Parts - Gotoh Tuners - $29.70 plus shipping (many options starting at $5.81 for USPS)

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/tuner-gotoh-vintage-oval-knob-6-line

Ebay (Guitar Hey) - Gotoh Tuners - $33.99 FREE SHIPPING

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=292136452854

These were found in less than 5 minutes using Google....

And personally I feel the Gotoh tuners are much better than the Wilkinson ones.

howardlo and noah330 like this.
  13. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

For me, Guitar Fetish is to the world of guitars as Harbor Freight is to tools, and J C Whitney is to Automobiles...

Yeah, Harbor Freight DOES have some very good stuff... but you gotta know what you're doing. And JC Whitney does have some very good Auto Parts, but again, you got to know what you're doing, because both have so very much rubbish that's it's easy for the "uninitiated" to spend a tonne, and wind up with a few ounces.. and those "ounces" will need to be replaced once ya see what ya have.

Remember. . always remember, The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.

rk

Gibson, Mr_Q, noah330 and 2 others like this.
  14. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

boop likes this.
  15. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

And my latest build with an XGP and MIJ new 50s neck and Fat 50s. Sounds like a strat should and light.

Attached Files:

Newbcaster likes this.
  16. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

I just installed a pre-wired pickguard from GFS. It was pretty much DOA. I had to fix the blob o' solder on the volume pot. However, I will say for the price, i was happy in the end. He makes no bones about the fact that some tweaking may be necessary. There are no reviews on the website itself which should give a little clue as to what to expect. Just my two cents.

I also just bought a Monoprice guitar for 99 bucks. If I was looking for a body...

Dan

17. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Years ago they were really popular over on HCEG. A lot of people loved them a lot and saying anything negative was frowned upon.

In my experience the pickups (I tried the P-90s and a set of humbuckers) were bad and the hardware was worse - mostly pot metal stuff.

The customer service was very good and shipping was quick.

It's possible they've increased their quality but my feelings are if you have a couple bucks and want to mod a Squire or Epi they can get you something different - not really better/worse but different. That may be what you're looking for.

Again, my experience with them is way over 10 years old. They seem to sell more sizzle than steak.

18. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

YES... Guitar Fetish. That's all I can say on that subject. I purchased quite a but of stuff from them, mostly pickups, which I liked a lot.

The bodies most likely will require some work. I bought a telecaster body for dirt cheap and the neck pocket wasn't exactly straight along one edge. I sanded it down and everything was fine.

19. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

I find that most of the bridges, although not visually perfect, work great for the price.

Johns comment about the Tuners is spot on especially for the vintage "banjo" style preferred by giby guys. I've bought 6 to 8 pairs of the gibby style and had nothing but problems. Had to switch to tone Pros. The only tuners from guitar fetish that I had no problems with Schaller style Wilkinsons, the internal gear is way better than the Gibby style ones and they come in locking. That said, given the price of some of the brand names, the extra 5/10$ is worth the 'name'.

The pickups are hit or miss. The full size humbuckers, even the powered ones, are pretty good for the money. I found the mini birds / mini buckers too thin lacking body (I got a set of Tom Anderson Firebirds and those are amazing compared to minibirds). The strat singles are decent upgrades for squires and no name guitars, there's a good balance in the blues set. The P90 are pretty good too.

The wire, pickguard blanks, and some of the electronic stuff is of good quality even though most is asia made.

They use to be a few towns over from me before they went to Florida. I use to get my packages within 48-72 hours no matter what. When I asked to stop in and see the set up the email said it was just a warehouse.

The folks running it seem decent and they certainly try to do right by the customer but there are a few horror stories out there.

John Nicholas likes this.
  20. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

I purchased a few things over the years, hardware like a Tele bridge, strap locks, pick guards, etc.

Recently I took a chance on one of their close out specials, a sunburst Tele with rosewood neck that is set neck instead of bolt on. I made it into an evil Esquire with only a volume knob.

Gfs bridge, pickguard and DiMarzio super distortion bridge pickup. The rest of the stuff came dirt cheap from AliExpress.

When I got it together all it needed was some minor fret work and a better nut (bone).

I also have one of their Slick guitars, they brag on their website that it’s tweaked and ready to go but that’s ********. It needed a great deal of tweaking to make it right for me.
    E067B2AB-BCA3-4687-A2EE-7693FFE84994.jpeg 609DE5B0-6C40-4FB0-9EA0-98CBF8B444BA.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.