Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitar Fetish Tele build

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by RocknRoll Baker, Jun 12, 2017.

1. RocknRoll Baker

RocknRoll Baker TDPRI Member

Jun 16, 2015
    Scarberia, Canada
    IMG_2854.JPG Hi Tele-Heads,
    I recently ordered some stuff from guitarfetish.com, a body with an attached short tenon neck, routed for 2 humbuckers, finished in a nice "Daphne Blue" & bound body and neck... 99 bucks US.
    I ordered everything from the pickups (Mean P90's), all the hardware, everything.
    All in the guitar cost about $350 US.
    I assembled it, wired it up, did a basic set up and am quite please with what I got for the money. The pickups are probably the least desireable aspect of the guitar, I may swap them out for something pricier but really for what I paid I ain't complain.
    Prior to ordering the guitar and parts I spent an afternoon at a local music store here in Toronto playing ALL their Telecasters, from the low to the high.
    Mostly they were pretty clanky sounding with substandard finishing details, rough unfiled fret ends, just depressingly ****ty, even the Custom shop USA ones. So, I feel reasonably satisfied for what Imwas able to make, essentially a custom made P90 dream machine. I'd love to hear any comments from anyone with experience with GFS stuff. They are a breeze to deal with, always great customer service. Here's a pic... cheers

2. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Aug 14, 2015
    Nashville
    That's pretty!

3. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2010
    Iowa
    Looks great! Would love to see some more pictures! I used to get quite a bit of stuff from Guitarfetish, but not so much anymore. I'm surprised you are less than impressed with the Mean 90s... I've heard nothing but rave reports about them, but never tried them.

4. RocknRoll Baker

Jun 16, 2015
    Scarberia, Canada
    20170613_132803.jpg 20170613_132841.jpg 20170613_132903.jpg
    Hi stormin1155, Despite being a Tele freak I actually prefer my humbuckers, even on a Tele. My main guitar for many years was a 60's Tele body, with a Duncan JB humbucker in the bridge position and a Strat neck pickup in the neck position. This new blue guitar is my first foray with single coils (on a Tele). I read up on the GFS Mean 90's & they really piqued my interest, lots of great reviews. So I though I'd give them a go. I've played the blue guitar through my rig just twice, I may have to make some adjustments. It's not that they're bad sounding, but they do deserve some tweaking before any descisions are made. I actually just raised the bridge pickup quite close to the strings as I've read that P90's can benefit tremendously from being in rather close proximity to the strings, unlike a Strat single or even a humbucker, which will make bleating sounds when the magnetic field gets too close to the strings. I'm looking forward to hearing a pronounced midrange growl at the distorted end of things, just like Leslie West in "Theme from an imaginary western", and a clear warm spank at the clean end. We'll see. I desperately WANT the P90's to sound great and have that versatility that they're known for. I'm looking to expand my sonic palette away from the more typical humbucker sounds. In the meantime here's some more pics... 20170613_133107.jpg 20170613_133058.jpg 20170613_133107.jpg 20170613_133058.jpg 20170613_133107.jpg 20170613_133058.jpg 20170613_133022.jpg

Attached Files:

brookdalebill and Otis Fine like this.

5. RocknRoll Baker

Jun 16, 2015
    Scarberia, Canada
    Hi Fellaz...here's an update on this guitar. I wired it up and did an awful job. There was a time when I did enuff soldering to keep in practice, I was capable of pulling off a nice clean shiny bead but that was before my eyes went downhill. I had a terrible time of it and made an enormous mess. To top it all off it didn't work! I went at it for several days and finally was able to wire up the volume pot and the selector switch but no tone. I took it to rehearsal and plugged it into my rig (Marshalls with 4 x 12 cabs) ...it sounded... hmmmm... ok not bad, but nothing worth keeping. Mind you, my amps are cranked for use with guitar equipped with humbuckers so some adjustment might have been a good idea. The other problem was that I failed,on the set-up. On the website Jay does mention that the set neck guitars should really get a proper fret buss and polish, which I hadn't done. So I took it in to a local pro shop. Here in Toronto we have a place called the 12th fret, it's an excellent store with an amazing pedigree. A lot of their Tech's and luthiers are long term employees and the level of service is very good. When I took it in the tech who served me examined the guitar, took some measurements and informed me that the holes drilled for the strings to feed thru the body are in the wrong place! This is where I start to scratch my head and wonder if this project was worth it. The old adage " you get what you pay for" applies in full force here. At any rate, he told me that the problem of the holes could be slightly remedied by making some adjustments to the length of the saddle screws in the bridge but that there wouldn't be much wiggle room. I left the guitar and also left town for summer vacation. When I returned the guitar was ready, completely set up and properly wired. They did an awesome job, it plays beautifully. Now all I have to do is sort out the pick-up thing. I am going to give these GFS Mean 90's a chance to defend their thing, meaning, I'll tweak the settings on me amp and see if I can pull a sound. Will report back later perhaps with a short sound clip.

Don Mac and nojazzhere like this.

6. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Newport News, VA
    Love that binding (faux or otherwise) with the blue.

7. eedwards

eedwards Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Aug 17, 2007
    Alabaster, AL
    I have had several tele bodies from GFS, including a SurfGreen glued neck like you have. NONE of them have had the bridge holes lined up correctly. I think their template is off and it is too expensive to retool that. My setup tech was not able to correct the issue, so the Surfgreen became a toploader, rather than spend the money to fix the problem. I have finally learned that anything I get From GFS needs enough work that I cannot do, so they are not worth using. That is a shame, because the finishes are beautiful on all of the ones I have had.

8. capt pearl

capt pearl Tele-Meister

Jul 8, 2003

9. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    OH, that's one of those set-neck guitars I've seen on the GFS site - I was wondering about those. They have strats like that also.

10. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Holic

May 24, 2016
    Florida
    GFS is great for parts, but I'm not surprised you have some issues with fit and finish. I've bought unfinished necks from them a few times and I've only had one that was good to go out of the box, others needed fret leveling and nut work. I'm still willing to buy from them as they are great necks once they are setup properly and I don't mind doing the work considering the price point.

I've liked all the pickups I've had from them so far and can't complain about any of the bridges etc.

As you found, if you want plug and play partscaster stuff, they may not be the best choice, esp if you don't want to do some setup work and possibly fix some mistakes. Places like Warmoth sell stuff for that market, but they do charge a bit of premium for it. GFS gives you what you pay for, which is usually a great value for the price, the body being drilled wrong is kind of indefensible though...

11. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England

12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

13. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    The 12th Fret is a wonderful place! My good friend and ace Toronto guitar player Chris Bennett has been there for years....got my 1931 00-28 Martin, formerly owned by Canadian World War II veteran Cyril Lyons. I have photos of Cyril and the guitar in France during the war, stunning provenance...at the 12th Fret! Very nice looking guitar....glad the folks there were able to sort out your guitar....looks like a fun ride....

RJ

Cyril4_zpsd5f26898.jpg
    Cyril and a few of his buddies in France right before the battle of Normandy, on the north coast of France....

Patrick201 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.