Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitar Fetish offering a new line of bodies/necks

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by vintage clubber, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Greg.Coal

Greg.Coal Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2009
    Colorado
    Did you not read the part about "fiesta red"?

2. Greg.Coal

Greg.Coal Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2009
    Colorado
    That's just not true. Exchanging labor for wages is a mutual exploitation if you really need to use that word. It is well known and accepted that manufacturing in China has raised all boats there. I go there a lot. I did not see what you are claiming. No oppression as you describe. There are certainly other kinds of oppression there, though! The sad thing about China is that 10 year olds are made to study all day, 6 days a week.

Greg

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm interested in Phil Jones Bass amps. I found this video tour of their factory in Dong Guang, China.

I wish where I worked was as nice as that!!!

4. dimojoe

dimojoe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Oct 10, 2012
    Northern Il
    What kind of profile does the neck have ?

5. Loudog99

Loudog99 Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2009
    Howell, NJ
    If anyone's interested, I started a project thread for my Fiesta Red GFS partscaster. Cell phone pics are ****ty, but I'll use the good camera for the next installment. The paddle head neck for $32 is going to turn out great.

It's been documented here how overly thick the heel is, but a careful hour with a sanding block and 80,100 grit took care of that nicely. Also, used the same sanding block for the sides of the heel to get it to drop into the body. The body is to Fender spec so didn't want to touch the pocket.

6. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Word is the bodies are nearing the 5 pound range? True?

7. Loudog99

Loudog99 Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2009
    Howell, NJ
    Not sure as I haven't weighed it. Will do so, but it will be me stepping on the scale with and without it. No postage scale available for a more accurate measurement. I do know that compared to Mighty Mites, this one is at least a pound lighter if not more.

8. Mikie47165

Mikie47165 TDPRI Member

Jan 17, 2007
    indiana
    Ill have a dozen of the made in Mexico strats to go please.
    Is that United States of America that sell them at that price?
    In my U.S.A., a MIM Strat is just a little more than $249

9. SPUDCASTER

The bodies I was looking at on the Warmoth site were all 4-5 pounds. And they were mostly swamp ash or alder. It would be assumed that the poplar might be lighter. But, it's not to safe to assume anything pertaining to wood products.

10. morgankelly

morgankelly Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2008
    South Carolina
    Here's some quick snapshots of the strat I assembled using one of the new bodies. I'm quite pleased.

Attached Files:

11. Loudog99

Loudog99 Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2009
    Howell, NJ
    Holy crap Morgan, you are fast. Looks great!

12. morgankelly

morgankelly Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2008
    South Carolina
    Got the body in on Wednesday. I attached the neck to the body that night. Thursday, I mocked it up and eventually screwed down the pickguard (already loaded) and the bridge. I took it to my tech on Friday and had a nut made, wiring double checked, and setup.

Most of the parts are from a guitar I had laying around but that was going unused. Classic 60's neck, bridge, and other parts, Sperzel locking tuners, SCN Noiseless pickups. I really dig it. And the body is just as good as the original Classic 60's I had.

13. FallsRockShop

FallsRockShop Tele-Holic Vendor Member

Jan 16, 2014
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    I'm really glad that the initial reviews on these has been positive.

I have a surf green maple on maple project that I'm putting a parts list together currently. I wonder if these 'sale' prices will be the actual price going forward or if they'll bump back up to the GFS normal price.

14. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 14, 2004
    New England
    You're right. I bought one of the closeout "Xaviere" style necks to match up with my Xaviere body that nothing else fits. It was clearly done by a 10 year old. I lived through the infancy of the Japanese guitar industry, the Korean guitar industry and such but I never saw such poor workmanship. It looked like the fret edges were dressed with a belt sander resulting in a big ol' bevel all the way down to the side dot markers and resulting in a wide strip of missing finish. Nut slot had chip- out while the nut was a rattle fit.

Frets ended up substantially narrower than the neck which isn't a good thing. That can't be re- worked. I don't like pushing my "E" strings off the neck.

I sent it back. I'm out six bucks to send it back which is a cheap education.

Note to Self: Start with a quality neck 'cuz the neck is everything.

The new XGP stuff has gotta be better but... fool me once. I'm o.k. with the bodies but no more cheap necks for me. My bad! I should know better. :rolleyes:

While I frequently get good stuff for cheap not everything cheap is good.

15. GCKelloch

GCKelloch Tele-Afflicted

Apr 10, 2011
    MA USA
    I am seriously considering XGP parts for my set of Wilde MicroCoil pickups. I'm waiting for a finished SA body, but I might just go for Poplar. I don't think it matters much to tone at all, but I think I'll use an PC pickguard. They're cheap and PVC dampens more. I might go for a Super-Vee trem. One thing I notice is the pics show that the RW FB XGP necks are bound, so they shouldn't need any fret end dressing. Whether any fret leveling or polishing is required is still a mystery. Fret polishing is easy do with a 3M pad. Steel Wool is messy and collects on pickup poles. A luthier I know suggested using a few drops of Murphy's Oil Soap on RW FB's. It cleans and leaves a very smooth feel. I might not use it on a bare Maple FB, though. Maple might soak it up too much, so you'd get suds when you play. I've played a bare Maple FB before. It's too dry feeling. I'd probably use Danish Oil or something similar to seal it. I once used a few coats of Watco Danish Oil on the back of a Maple neck, and it had a superb feel. Very easy to apply as well.

16. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Hendersonville, TN
    I wonder if these new bodies allow access to adjust the truss rod without
    removing the neck. I will have to add a small channel on a prior GFS body
    next string change for future easier adjustment.

The Daphne Blue body looks odd in color. Maybe it is just shadowing or
    some external surface reflection.

One of the Telecaster history books mentioned Poplar being used on
    some production in the late '60s.

17. SPUDCASTER

I just picked up a XGP sunburst Tele body. Nice finish, not quite as figured on the grain as the one pictured on site. But, you get what you get in that area. The channel to allow the truss rod adjustment is not cut. Will have to do that when I rout the neck pickup cavity for the firebird pickup.

Plus the wiring routing runs through the bridge pickup cavity. Nothing major and I may change that.

The string through holes are okay on top but a little off on the back. Must be done free hand. The neck cavity is spot on and the Allparts neck I purchased from Koko Tele fits perfectly. The aged white pearl pickguard I ordered from Warmoth also fits perfect.

The body is supposedly based on his '61 Tele. I haven't done the final assembly yet. I'm waiting for the Tru-Oil to cure for a week or so, and I haven't bought the pickups yet.

18. Doorlord

Doorlord Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2010
    San Dimas
    I just got a vintage cream strat body yesterday.

Workmanship is much better than my Olympic White 79. I've attached a pic so you can get an idea of the color.

The only issues:

1. small green blemish on the lower end, might have been buffed through to the primer. Looks like Surf Green. I will probably just touch it up.
    2. small bump, about 1" long, 1/4" wide a few inches from the green spot. Looks like filler that got painted over too soon.
    3. Neck holes are off, just like some others have posted. Not a big deal, I can plug & redrill.

I took pics, but they are too blurry to show.

Attached Files:

19. BedroomRockstar

BedroomRockstar TDPRI Member

Mar 26, 2014
    North Carolina
    Knock on wood.

Hi! A tele is in my future yet but I might be able to shed some light on poplar and others as tone woods. I have a '95 Fender American Deluxe Strat Plus, a 60th Anniversary Tex-Mex strat and a basswood Ibanez early RG-140 which is more strat-like than modern RG's. The Deluxe Plus has an alder body with a laminated ash top and back. Of the three most commonly used soft, resonant tone woods: alder, basswood and poplar, alder has the darkest tone. I've read on a custom guitar site (Ed Roman, Las Vegas) that ash has a shallow "mid-scoop" tone profile. It lifts the high-highs and the low-lows, basically expanding the guitar's tone. That's exactly what it does on my Dlx+. I get a dark, rich tone with deep, piano-like bass and a very articulate treble. The Tex-Mex has a poplar body (I checked with Fender) and I hate to admit it but I like the tone as much as the Dlx+. It's bright and complex. I'd call it "smokey". The RG has a solid tone composed mostly of fundamentals that remains clear even under very high gain. I use the Dlx+ (Lace Alumatones) for spooky Robin Trower inspired psychedelia :twisted:, the Tex-Mex (stock Tex-Mex pups) for straight-forward blues and the Ibanez (loaded with DiMarzios) for hard rock. The right tool for the right job. Hope this helps.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.