Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitar Fetish offering a new line of bodies/necks

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by vintage clubber, Aug 14, 2014.

1. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

Sep 28, 2010
    Columbia, MO

I imagine the heels are different.

2. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

Sep 28, 2010
    Columbia, MO
    When is GF going to start doing Cabronita bodies? Then I might be interested.

3. Jeff R

Jeff R Tele-Holic

May 2, 2010
    White Rock BC
    Interested to hear about QC after a few have tried them out. Won't bash but chose to buy from Warmoth for my last two assemblies, I had a particular run of bad luck with wood parts from GFS. Warmoth have been great, but you do pay for that quality.

4. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 14, 2004
    New England
    Way I figure it Guitarfetish has heard enough about QC issues. It's no big deal for either skilled labor or CNC machinery to make consistent quality bodies. I believe problems crop up in the conversion from metric to inch although they shouldn't. If we all decide neck pockets should be 2 3/16" and either squared (Tele) or rounded (Strat) then we should achieve the Industrial Age ideal of interchangeable parts. :D

I also noticed I can buy half a dozen GFS bodies for what I pay for a single Warmouth body.

(spoken with a comical Dirty Sanchez accent:)

I'd be interested in a Fiesta Red Cabronita Telemaster.

Olé !!! :D

Or Mother of '60s Dune Buggy giant metalflakes.

Attached Files:

5. spellcaster

spellcaster Tele-Meister

Sep 8, 2009
    Duncan, B.C.
    Fool me once, shame on you....Fool me twice, shame on me.

No more GFS stuff after the last one.......

6. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

iv not been brave enough to try their wood stuff. their other parts are fine.
    chris.

7. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    MA
    Got a featherweight Pbass body from them that was fine, but hate the 70's notch on all the tele bodies I've seen from them. FUGLY:rolleyes: Why can't they get that right?

8. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    Can you please tell me what the "70's notch" is?

9. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    MA
    [​IMG]

Here's a GFS body with 70's notch. Many guys never even notice this, but it just bugs me; traditional notch looks way better.
    [​IMG]

10. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    Thanks for the explanation.

11. morgankelly

morgankelly Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2008
    South Carolina
    Just bought one of the new bodies (strat) and it arrived today. Looks pretty dang good. I haven't checked measurements or anything, but it certainly passes the eye test and is quite significantly better than the old paulownia bodies. Finish is pretty good too.

I stuck a Classic 60's neck on it and it fit like a glove. Color me a happy camper.

12. Loudog99

Loudog99 Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2009
    Howell, NJ
    I also got my Fiesta Red body today and am very happy. It's as nice as the Mighty Mites I've handled and lighter too. Routes are clean, very good finish, not perfect but very good, neck holes drilled in the correct spot, even if they are a bit smaller on back due to finish build up. I changed my neck order to the paddle headstock as I couldn't pass up the $32 price tag.

Neck looks pretty good too, needs a good deal of finish sanding and general smoothing over, refinement but the fret work seems good. Well seated and should be good once I cut a bone nut and do a fret level, crown, and polish. Neck heel is a hair too wide for the pocket bug I'm hoping a bit of finish sanding will get it to drop in.

Again, Im very happy with the body and neck. Here's a quick mockup, all parts from GFS for $202 shipped; body, neck, jack and plate, neck plate and screws, vintage trem w full size block, Gotoh style tuners (really nice), and aged white pickguard.

Still need electronics, will be CTS and fender switch, orange drop caps, and Artec (dragonfire) cream alnico pickups.

[​IMG]

13. morgankelly

morgankelly Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2008
    South Carolina
    How would you compare their "fiesta red" to Fender's from an eyeball perspective? I was interested in it, but it looked too "red" to me on the website. I can see your photo looks a little more pink than the stock photos. I went with the black, by the way.

14. harold h

harold h Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2004
    The funny thing about these is if there old bodies were as good as they hyped
    them up to be, there would be no need for new and improved ones.

15. Loudog99

Loudog99 Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2009
    Howell, NJ
    Hey Morgan,

I think the FR is very similar to Fenders. It's definitely a light red and not deep. Btw, I got the neck to drop in using 80 and 100 grit with a sanding block. Spent about 1.5 hrs doing some finish sanding, smoothing over. Need a bit more time on the neck heel radius and corners but it's 95% there. I should start a build thread.

16. morgankelly

morgankelly Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2008
    South Carolina
    That's solid to hear. I love FR. I may need to order one of the tele bodies now...

17. Loudog99

Loudog99 Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2009
    Howell, NJ
    I'm also planning to get a Tele body at some point. If the quality is consistent in these, then folks are going to be pretty pleased. The strat body was a steal for what I received.

18. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    I can buy Fender MIM Strats all day long around here for $249. Not sure why I'd pay the same price for a body and neck alone that I would have to work on and add parts to.

Good luck.

19. Loudog99

Loudog99 Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2009
    Howell, NJ
    The reason for me to buy the parts is that it's FUN. I enjoy it and theres value in that experience. I wouldn't leave an MIM alone either.

20. FallsRockShop

FallsRockShop Tele-Holic Vendor Member

Jan 16, 2014
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    Whelp, this thread was fun while it lasted.

I'm going to order a few of these bodies and necks for a student/beginner line of guitars. I'll report back on the results in a future non-locked thread.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.