Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitar Fetish offering a new line of bodies/necks

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by vintage clubber, Aug 14, 2014.

1. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

Apr 12, 2012
    Mechanicsville, VA

2. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

Jul 16, 2009
    fort worth
    No problems with poplar as a guitar wood. It's cheap, easy to work with, and the guitars I've built with it sound good.

3. FallsRockShop

FallsRockShop Tele-Holic Vendor Member

Jan 16, 2014
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    I'm glad to see that they're apparently taking some steps towards improving their necks and bodies. The last few that we had before stopping altogether was horrible. Totally not worth fixing. I have to imagine that the complaints were starting to pile up and they had to make a change of factories overseas....or at least throw the contractor a few more bones per unit to ensure more consistent results.

Poplar is what most places, us included, use to test new jigs or CNC profiles. It cuts easy, works well, and is extremely cheap. Most poplar is labeled as paint-grade, so I doubt you'd want to order anything with a transparent finish. As for sound, that depends on how much you believe wood species effects the tone of an electric guitar. I'm not opening that can of worms!

I'm looking forward to hearing what people have to say about the new line. These would be excellent candidates for beginner or student guitars.

4. timmer114

timmer114 Tele-Holic

Sep 17, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I don't like to bash anyone. However, the "Premium Ash" body I bought from GFS was the worst pos I have ever seen. and before anyone says anything, no it wasn't a factory clearance item. The neck pocket was cut at a ridiculous angle, string ferrule holes overlapping, goopy bad finish with huge runs.. I would have had to fill the entire neck cavity and cut a new one, refinish it, plug the string holes...it wasn't worth the headache, and it wasn't worth the return headache either.

But I have had good luck with their pickups and parts. Some guys get a great piece of wood from them, some guys don't. It's kinda like Russian Roulette.

5. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Wonder how thick the bodies are?

6. Loudog99

Loudog99 Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2009
    Howell, NJ
    Ordered the Fiesta red strat and satin RW neck. Will post report and pics when they arrived. Worth a shot at that price based on how much better they look in the pics than their old stock paulownia bodies.

7. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

Apr 12, 2012
    Mechanicsville, VA
    Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. I have built 4 tele styles and one strat style from their bodies and all of them worked out beautifully. Two of them were considered "blems."

8. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    A hopeful improvement

Fret height?? only .036" per their specs??

Typo? If not, way too low even for a new set-up level/crown

"...Each neck is equipped with nice Medium Jumbo fret wire- which measures .036" tall and .106" wide and is forged from 18% nickel/silver hard alloy."

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014

9. timmer114

timmer114 Tele-Holic

Sep 17, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Glad to hear they worked out, and for a lot of people that happens with GFS bodies. I'm not bashing GFS, I know the bodies are made in China and drop shipped, just don't be surprised if one turns out to be lemon. I still like their cheap parts and pickups.

10. Greg.Coal

Greg.Coal Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2009
    Colorado
    Can anybody comment regarding what the purported differences are with XGP necks? That is, in what way are they better built than the regular stock?

I note that the copy fails to say the neck is maple - unless the fingerboard is, then it says maple fingerboard. Which I take to mean an omission.

The from-the-back-side pic's on the maple FB strat and tele necks are the same (cause it's actually a pick of a maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard).

Maybe the 2-way truss rod is new; then the nut is a different material.

Greg

11. Loudog99

Loudog99 Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2009
    Howell, NJ
    I am assuming the RW neck is maple just like the all maple model. Seems to be industry standard even in cheap bolt-ons to use maple for necks.

Double action truss rod is def new. Pics make the woodwork look much better/ cleaner so we'll see.

12. Doug 54

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    "...Can anybody comment regarding what the purported differences are with XGP necks?"

VERY low frets ( see above)

13. Greg.Coal

Greg.Coal Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2009
    Colorado
    Stew-Mac's medium/medium fretwire is .039" tall and their Wide/low is .106" wide by .036" high. So, what GF is calling "Medium Jumbo" is Stew-Mac's "Wide Low" which they recommend for "partial fret jobs, to match large worn frets".

Maybe they've been PLEK'ed! :)

Greg

14. harold h

harold h Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2004
    "Each piece is cut using stainless steel jigs made to the exact specs of vintage guitars. Each piece is routed and sanded by HAND, the recreate the real feel and look of the very best vintage guitars."

Thank god they are using stainless steel jigs, as opposed to those made of other
    metals.:lol:

15. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2008
    Cambridge Vt.
    I've had pretty good luck with their necks and bodies, both finished and unfinished. That said, I'm not really crazy about their necks-I can't really find fault with them(they usually need a level and crown), but for a low-cost neck, I like the SX'ers a lot better. If I'm going to have a chunky neck, I like the jumbo SX frets. It'll be interesting to see how much better this stuff is. I didn't really have a build planned, but I've got 3 brand new(with the cellophane still on 'em) Epi Sheraton/LP gold humbuckers lying around. Hmmm........;)

16. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    Confirm fret height

Larry says the XGP bodies are 1.75" thick.
    He hasn't yet confirmed the fret height on the XGP necks.

Ok, fret height has been confirmed at 0.036".

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014

17. Loudog99

Loudog99 Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2009
    Howell, NJ
    I went back and changed my neck order to the unfinished paddle head RW strat neck. Can't pass that up for $32. The wood to make a neck would cost more. Even if it requires finish sanding, reseating frets, fret end filing, levelling/ crowning/ polish it's still a steal for me. I already plan to do a bone nut so that's not a factor.

I think anyone expecting any neck outside of USACG or Warmoth to not need fretwork, including fret levelling, crown, and Polish has unrealistic expectations. I've spent at least 5hrs on fret work and finishing with Danish or Tung oil on Mighty Mites to get them playable to my standards. I can't make a neck for $32, but can definitely make a $32 neck play like the proverbial butter.

End of rant.

18. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 14, 2004
    New England
    Nuthin' wrong with "white" poplar. Grandma's casket was white poplar with a natural finish. Very nice.

It's related to cottonwood and aspen as well as indigenous New England species which is to say it grows everywhere. "White" is a misnomer. While lighter grain could be mistaken for maple or pine it more typically has a greenish cast. Some trees have darker wood, almost like Poor Man's walnut. My favorite boards are literally purple when freshly planed which quickly oxidizes brown. I wish I could figure out how to stop the color while it's purple. If the air doesn't get it the sunlight will.

Couple weeks ago I spent a day with my brother shoving poplar boards through the shaper. His hallway now has authentic Victorian baseboards.

Kudos to Guitarfetish for upping their game. It will be interesting to see how well $70 guitar bodies sell in a very prices sensitive market.

I'd like to see a Telemaster body. They don't have to be colors of the rainbow. Authentic Fiesta Red or Seafoam Green will do just fine.

19. Doug 54

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    wonder why they would offer such a low fret height
    weird

20. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

Feb 24, 2005
    Florida Panhandle
    I don't see a difference between what they call a tele style neck and a strat style.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.