Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitar Ethnicity?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Kayle McGuire, Jan 9, 2018.

1. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
  2. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    The word "ethnicity" as far as I understand it, implies a whole lot more of cultural, religious, and other attributes that makes the original question either suspect or inaccurate.

Even what I think of as made in USA, my Gibson flattop (#1 acoustic), has rosewood from India (allegedly), mahogany from Central America, spruce, wires (maybe) and plastic from the USA, ebony from who knows where; I'm not sure where the tuners were made or where the materials were sourced... IDK, maybe the spruce is Canadian, it is very polite, after all...

so what's the point, really? @Kayle McGuire?

3. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    2 from Corona 1 from Montana

Obsessed likes this.
  4. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    Mexico

Then (in order of how much I use them)...
    China
    USA
    USA
    Korea
    Korea
    Japan
    USA

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I love all of my guitars equally now so:

1 USA - National reso (still honeymooning:rolleyes:)
    2 Mexico - tele and strat (tele with CS pups and the strat about to get Xmas CS pups:))
    2 Korea - an Epi Bass and an Epi semi hollow (with U.K.(?) Humbuckers, U.S. switch and pots)
    2 China - a dirt cheap Epi acoustic and a pricey Eastman acoustic

All are really well built IMO.

6. AnAxeNamedBeverly

AnAxeNamedBeverly Tele-Meister

Jan 6, 2017
    SC
  7. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    In my barn.

"What, were you born in a barn?"

"Yes."

8. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    Imported directly from the Delta Quadrant... ;)

9. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    Yes, most of my players are Texican.

10. Edsel Presley

Edsel Presley Tele-Holic

Jan 29, 2017
  11. warrent

warrent Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    it was made here (of domestic and imported parts):
    640px-Flag_of_California.svg.png

12. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I had the opportunity to work in Korea 2016 and I was able to go the Nagwon Music Mall (worlds largest music complex). I bought my Epi 339 Pro on one trip and my Andrew White Freja acoustic on the next. I spent about nine hours in the place and saw maybe a third of it.

13. Kreepy

Kreepy Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2018
    Maud, Oklahoma
    Every guitar I own is made in Mexico. 4 fenders and one Taylor.

14. Widerange Hum

Widerange Hum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

May 14, 2016
    San Diego, CA
    My #1 was built in my garage, in the U.S.

But I'm closer to Tijuana than I am to downtown San Diego, so maybe we should score it as half MIM.

15. Clash Telecaster

Clash Telecaster Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2017
    New York
    18 guitars / basses / acoustics

8 -- USA
    4 -- China
    2 -- Mexico
    2 -- Japan
    2 -- Indonesia

16. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2010
    Erin Prarie, WI
    A year ago, my #1 guitar was a MIC Gretsch Corvette (with TV Jones pups, wherever those are made) and my #1 bass was a Korean “JB Player” P/J copy. Today my #1 guitar is (I think) an MIM Tele with SD pups and a G&L bridge, and my #1 bass is a Chinese “Austin” P copy. So it depends...

17. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Gigging guitar - ESP LTD - Vietnam.
    House guitar - Partscaster, so 'Made in Great Britain from international parts'.
    Emotionally attached instrument I learned on - Korean Squier Strat.
    ...and an indonesian 'Vintage' SG - which has so much presence it's untrue for the price.

18. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    The term "ethnicity" did not give me problems, but the word "main" (as in main guitar) did. This excludes others, and that's a painful scenario. It helps a little to refer to "main" acoustic and "main" electric, but the choices would still be painful.

My main acoustic is my Hohner G940. It was made in Japan, and I bought it new in the spring of 1983, so I've had it for nearly 35 years. I've got other acoustics and acoustic/electrics, but if I were forced to keep just one, it'd be my Japanese vintage Hohner.

My main electric would be my Logan Custom "Firecaster." All four of my electrics (teles) were made by Bob Logan of Logan Custom Guitars, in Delafield, Wisconsin. But if I had to choose between them, it'd be painful, but I know without doubt that it'd be my Firecaster. It is a tele style (hence the "caster" part) made from lumber salvaged from our house fire in May 2010. The house was completed in 1936, so the lumber is old growth construction grade, and is at least 82 years old. the guitar is as personal as a guitar can get.

19. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    Problem for me is that I have four guitars that I equally consider “main” guitars. I tend to cycle through them. Two Gibsons, one Fender, one Gretsch. All made in the US except the Gretsch (Japan). All excellent.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.