Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitar Center

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chatnoir, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Chatnoir

Chatnoir Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2016
    Peabody, MA
    I was just there and trying to find something - anything with a V neck. I need to slap a neck on my American Special body but I'd like to know what to expect. I tried one tele with jumbo frets and didn't notice any difference from the medium jumbo from that. I asked if there was any guitar in the store with a V neck and he said they didn't carry it but that it's like a baseball bat. I was a tad surprised. At one time I handled an Eric Clapton strat and it didn't feel like that at all. I'm considering a Musikraft V to C - just wish I could find anything to give me a sense of what to expect. Is it just me or has that store gone down hill in the last few years?

Laura

2. Randypttt

Randypttt Tele-Afflicted

Feb 8, 2010
    Elyria Oh
    It might depend on the area but my GC, near Cleveland, doesnt carry necks or upper tier stuff like CSs or avris.
    Mostly lower end MIM and Squier Affinities. About half dozen Pros and Elites maybe.

Unless I'm mistaken it sounds like you have more of a problem with fret size than neck size? You might check what else is out there with vintage frets. Like a Classic 50. Fender seems to be favoring medium jumbos and modern Cs lately.

One other thing to consider is whether it will fit the body.
    Good luck Laura and enjoy the hunt

JayFreddy likes this.

3. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    There are a number of models that have what Fender CALLS a "soft V" shaped neck, but they're not all the same by a long shot. The Baja tele has one that feels like a baseball bat. The Clapton and CP 50 strats have another one that's much mellower feeling than the Baja tele. The Roadworn strat has one a lot like the Clapton except it's got a 7.25" fretboard radius. And the Jimmie Vaughan also has one but I've seen reports of it being everything from almost Baja like fat to very much like the Clapton, maybe depending on year, or day, or who worked on it in the factory.

I think you just have to play 'em and see which one feels right to you...

-Ray

4. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Doesn't surprise me that GC doesn't have anything with a proper V contour on the wall--that's a "niche" product, and they don't seem to gamble with new inventory. They might be going downhill (according to some folks around here they've been doomed for years!), but I don't really think this is a sign of it.

FWIW, I got a boatneck contour from Warmoth a few years back, and that's how I learned that I prefer the "modern C" (so I fixed it myself with a rasp), but if you want to try something, you might be able to get a good deal on something off the rack at Warmoth.

5. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    I have built a few guitars with V contours. What I like is if you want a thick neck you can ride the peak with your thumb, but if you let the peak fall into the web of your hand the neck no longer seems thick at all. These were built for children and I think it suits smaller hands really well.

A Baja tele is reported to have a Soft V profile.

Teleterr likes this.

6. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 11, 2010
    Montana
    GC has always treated me well. They don't stock every guitar but who does?

elKZacha and daddyplaysbass like this.

7. Chatnoir

Chatnoir Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2016
    Peabody, MA
    They don't seem to stock much of anything other than low end guitars. Anything high end is literally high up hanging on the wall. I think I did try a Baja recently and I thought it was a much different guitar from the Clapton neck. There's a small guitar store down the street from me; I'll give them a shot next...

8. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2013
    California
    I went through the same thing recently before I bought a Baja Tele with the V neck and a Classic 50's Strat with the V neck. Not a lot of V neck guitars to try out.

The neck on the Baja Tele is substantially thicker than the one on the Strat, though they are both V profiles. I was also considering a thicker Musikraft replacement neck for the Strat.

9. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Guitar center usually has some acoustics with V-necks in their acoustic room. It's not the same thing but it might give you an idea.

10. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    I got one of the blue sparkle Bullet HH strats, and it has a soft V. Love it so much I pulled the neck and put it on a Jazzmaster.

11. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    BTW I'd really want to try a V-neck out quite a bit if you haven't owned one.

I bought one (acoustic) last year and it was definitely a mistake. Great guitar that I got rid of this spring due to the V-neck. It felt good when you'd sit down and grab it but it really didn't agree with my wrist during extended playing. They're all different but I'm going to be really careful in the future... I'd only buy one if it was in a local store and I could go in multiple times and play it for a long time to make sure it wasn't going to do anything to my hand/wrist.

12. Chatnoir

Chatnoir Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2016
    Peabody, MA

All the more reason why I'm pushing to try one out first. I don't want anything that would hurt my wrists with extended time practicing....

13. SonsOfMoog

SonsOfMoog Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2017
    US
    They're more like car salesmen than trained musicians. If you ask them, many will talk at length about touring and recording but the reality is they're commission based retail jockeys working a corporate gig.

Consider taking a 3 or 4 hour road trip to as many music stores as possible. It'll be fun and worth it before investing hundreds on a new neck.

bottlenecker likes this.

14. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Well, the local stores that were in my town before this crappy chain moved in stocked a lot more, and a lot more interesting stuff than guitar center. I've never seen Italia, Reverend, or Eastwood guitars at a GC, and that's just the cool lower end stuff that used to be around.

Remember those $500ish Gibson melody makers they were making in the USA some years back? A GC saleskid told me they weren't going to have them because they don't sell vintage guitars. I said "it's a new model". He said "I mean vintage style..." in front of a wall of telecasters, les pauls, strats, and cheap gretsches.

Don't look for steak at McDonald's.

Bigpernz likes this.

15. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Holic

Apr 19, 2014
    SATX
    I've found that this has a lot to do with my technique/style. In my case, my thumb really only slides to the back of the neck during quick, single not runs. The rest of the time the neck rests in the meat of my hand with my thumb occasionally cheating over the top. A V-neck feels great for this kind of playing (to me) and helps give me leverage for bends, etc. A little, shreddy Ibanez Wizard feels great when I use "proper" technique and keep my thumb down it's spine, but my hand gets crampy when I play with my thumb over the top. I'd imagine that matching the neck to your hand size and playing style is most likely to result in the least fatigue and lowest change of ergonomic stress/injury in the long run.

16. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

Feb 25, 2011
    Kentucky
    Fun GC story from my visit today in Lexington, KY. I was looking to try out the new Epiphone SL cheapies (the new $99 double-single coil Junior style). The sales guy was like, "Huh? Never heard of that one..."

I went to the pedal desk and asked if they had any of the new Russian Big Muff reissues and another sales guy says they have a used one, grabs his keys and goes to the case. Then to my surprise I see him setting up a green mini Fuzz Face for me to try. I didn't say anything as I demoed it because I'd been wanting to try one of those too, but seriously - do they just not know their product? I mean Big Muff, Fuzz Face - both kinda similar products with monosyllabic names... I guess there's room for confusion.

17. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    It would be convenient if there was some kind of forum software that would automatically number these GC threads so we'd know which one we were looking at.

For example, "Guitar Center Thread #427"... Give or take a few.

And this isn't meant as a diss in any way... I've started a couple myself... Some better than others! ;)

18. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    Can you try a Jimmie Vaughn Strat out? They have a fat V neck that transitions to a fat C by the 12th fret. The neck has a 9.5 radius and 1 5/8" nut too. They're pretty common guitars-shouldn't be too hard to find one to play.

And I put a USACG neck on my Hwy 1 and love it. Tommy and company does great work.

JayFreddy likes this.

19. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    A have a big V boat neck from Warmouth and it cured my carpel tunnel. I have a soft V Fender neck and thats ok too injury wise. One can keep their wrist str8 while playing. The $199 Fender replacements available all over the net are soft Vs also.
    Perfect description of how a V works. I have small hands.

ndeli55 likes this.

20. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    How about the poster putting the post date in the title?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.