Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitar Center Used Gear Website

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Slim, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    This has been my issue - and the variables go deeper than that. I bought a Fender 75 1x15 (1980's) that it turns out was modded beyond all recognition. I've bought used pedals that were modded. They don't check anything. I bought a used Mesa 5:50 Express, and it arrived without power tubes, and a missing preamp tube.

I'm not going to bash GC and say I'll never go there again. But I have been finding local 'mom and pop' stores again, after not using local businesses for about fifteen years. GC has it's place, but each person needs to decide what that is for themselves.

If you're going to buy a used amp from GC, be prepared to either 1) push to get them to cover the cost. I've just been through that, and I had to go to a district manager to get it done.
    or 2) pay to have your own tech go over it, as it probably will need it. I've never bought a used amp that wasn't in need to some work, somehow.

2. jimash

jimash Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    I have never had any trouble exchanging a bum used item purchased online, at my local GC.
    Which is not to say that I always get the shipping back, but at least I don;t have to pay more shipping.

brbadg, soulman969 and MilwMark like this.

3. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    When told that by an employee I mentioned that I've never paid before (true). If that doesn't work I'd call back & get a different employee. I've also used their customer service line to get my label. They're just running a business. People act like they're doing this out of the kindness of their heart.

Their used site is crude. If you have patience & time it's great, but keep expectations low.

I've gotten gear that I'd never have been able to afford & a few surprises too. I've returned a few, but my batting average is still very good.

*edit- My returns were for items not accurately described. Damage, etc. I've paid a very reasonable shipping rate for gear & at times they've also waived shipping.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    brbadg, soulman969 and jimash like this.

4. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I've posted this photo before (sorry) but I think it demonstrates a point.

Fender Pro Jr - $180 + $12 shipping from a GC in Texas
    Blonde Fender HWY1 USA Tele - $400 +$18 shipping from a GC in Ohio

[​IMG]

I found both on the GC used gear finder. If I'm looking for something I check TDPRI, Reverb, eBay, GC Used online, Music Go Round online and craigslist. I can watch the news late at night and fart around with my ipad. Pretty easy.

The GC site is not eBay or Reverb; it's just a list of their used inventory one photo and store contact info for each item. I suppose that they could publish an active spread sheet and we could sift through a spread sheet but what they do is much nicer.

I just parted with the Pro Jr. After 5 years I took it to the Music Go Round on the south side because I was interested in a Reverend Double Agent That MGR had in stock and MGR offered me $180 (ironically). Nice little amp that I suppose cost me nothing.

To the original poster.......it's not eBay. It's a catalog of data that allows you to look for stuff and then call the retail stores. Just think of it in that light and I bet you'll find it to be a very useful tool. :cool:

These are old pictures. This was when it arrived. You could have eaten lunch off of the thing!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

soulman969 and tery like this.

5. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    I've bought tons of used from GC online. Never had one problem. One guitar was totally damaged from shipping. No questions asked they refunded me. Can't beat the prices!

brbadg and studio1087 like this.

6. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs

3 posts on the topic and you're worried about wasting time? Ah hahahha. :)

studio1087 and soulman969 like this.

7. joeybyron

joeybyron TDPRI Member

Oct 16, 2016
    South Carolina
    It's really odd, the more information the perspective buyer asks for the less likely they are to buy it IME. I thought it would be the opposite.

So as a part time for fun, GC sales guy, if you call the store I am more than happy to pull it down. Give you an honest assessment of it. There is no in house way of taking pictures loading them into a computer and sending the to you. At least at my store there isn't. I use my own phone to do so. This takes a lot of my time and honestly if they are asking a lot of questions IME, like I say they are wishy washy about and most likely won't pull the trigger. The exact opposite of what you (or I) would think.

As for shipping, our store, to my knowledge has never shipped a used item to a customer for free. I guess it could happen. You pay for shipping and if you return the item you do not get that back.

As my first retail job ( I was I'm IT for 10 years and now in medicine) it's really funny now to see people complain about service, store policies etc because for every horror story customers have there is a story of the horrible customers we have. It's a circle I guess. Buying/selling/ trading brings out the nastyness in People. Some people are just horrible to myself and my co-workers for no reason. The sense of entitlement is interesting.

8. tery

tery Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    This is correct . GC will not charge you the customary "shipping & handling" charge on your purchase shipped to a store . If you decide that you do not want what you ordered they refund the purchase price - no problem -no question - no hassle . All you do is reimburse GC their shipping cost .... IMO that seems reasonable .

brbadg likes this.

9. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    GC charges to ship used items. In my experience, very reasonable. I think they once charged me $22 (no more than $35 tops, working from memory) to ship a Bassman reissue across the country. I played it at home, decided I just didn't like it, and brought it to the local store to return. They didn't bat an eye, refunded everything but the $22 and wished me a good day. I certainly didn't feel ill used and why should I?

Another time I bought an amp and it came with a tube broken so I couldn't test it (I knew it was broken because of the glass shards in the box . . . ). Not their fault. But I was on the fence about the amp and didn't feel like taking the back off, buying a tube, testing, etc. So I called them up. "No problem sir. Sorry for the trouble. I'll have a prepaid return label back to you by the time the call ends (he did)." I think he also offered to set up UPS pickup. But it was easier just to drop it off on my way in. Full refund, including shipping.

My time has value too, so if someone ships something to me and I just don't like it, I have no problem eating reasonable shipping on the refund.

ermac68, studio1087 and soulman969 like this.

10. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Why when the whole idea of the call is to get that information. GC is in business to sell gear so you aren't wasting their time and by making that call to ask about the speakers you're actually saving the time you would waste sending or taking that amp back if it didn't suit your needs.

I can't find the logic in your thinking.

It seems like every day I come across situations here and elsewhere from those who are upset because something isn't done "their way" yet most others who respond will agree with and understand the usual and customary approach used just as they have here.

Obsessed, Flat6Driver and studio1087 like this.

11. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    @soulman969 I understand your point. But we seem to have reached a cultural shift where the phone is viewed as an imposition and many expect everything to be able to take place completely in the digital realm by typing and reading.

brbadg, Flat6Driver and soulman969 like this.

12. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    I've already got the info at hand of an item before I look for a used example at GC.
    I just need to know, that they have it, where, and what the price is.
    I've gotten good used deals from GC, and if there is an issue, they take it back no questions.
    Theses good deals must come at the price of poor smucks getting nothing on trade ins I guess.
    'A buyer not a seller be.'

brbadg, soulman969 and MilwMark like this.

13. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Note to add.
    The trick is to have the item shipped to your closest store, not to your home, and try it there.
    Although, it works out pretty well with home delivery to, but you may eat shipping.
    I even order new items from one GC shipped to another.
    If I don't like it, I don't even have to repackage it.

hrstrat57 and tery like this.

14. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

I had a similar deal with GC several years ago.

Late on a Friday night I ordered a used Roland BC 60 from a store in MA. The amp was rated in "great" condition one notch below "excellent" which is usually reserved for things like demos or open box returns. It was too late to call the MA store to verify condition but because of the GC return policy worth the gamble due the price of the amp.

A 40lb plus amp shipped to my local store for $12.50 but when we unboxed it at the store it was in anything but "great" condition cosmetically. They offered to return it for me but I decided to take it home to evaluate the rest. As it turned out in addition to the torn grill cloth and missing brass caps on over half the knobs the reverb tank was shot and the speaker cone had been punctured. So basically is was an unsaleable project amp badly in need of repair.

The MA store didn't want it back and my local store said it would cost more for them to repair than it would be worth so they gave me the amp for just the cost of the $12.50 shipping and then sold me a replacement speaker at cost to offset that and the cost of reverb tank so I could repair the amp myself. Which I have. It works great.

So because of the great customer service on the part of my local store I ended up with a great amp for the cost of a replacement speaker, a reverb tank, and $10 worth of grill cloth. Hell of a deal I'd say. :)

tery likes this.

15. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    LOL, I hear ya. One of my daughters seems to feel text is her only acceptable form of communication. Cell phones are no longer used for verbal communication but as substitutes for at least a half dozen other devices making hacking them a breeze.

What's next? Will gear shops be required to offer a concierge service where gear is delivered to the buyers door and unboxed by a rep wearing silk gloves who will then give a full presentation on it's features and a professional level demo then wait while the buyer considers whether to keep it or not? :rolleyes: :lol:

16. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Sorry, that entails too much human interaction to be realistic.

soulman969 likes this.

17. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    I've been in sales of one form or another as at least a part of my work for my entire life and while not always the case it is more often than not no matter what product is being sold.

Experienced sales pros recognize this type of "tire kicker" almost immediately by the type of questions being asked and the response after they're answered. The buyer is intentionally taking up time hoping to gain significant concessions if they do decide to make an offer but even that's 50/50 and many will cancel afterward anyway.

It's just a game they enjoy playing much the same as the CL buyer who like to ask for your "very best price" rather than make an offer expecting you to be foolish enough to compete with yourself and lower your price even more. Then they will either say no thanks or offer you an even lower price than "your very best". :twisted:

Talk about "time wasters". :rolleyes:

18. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Aw....I thought of it like those places that offer home delivery even from take out eateries. ;)

19. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    @soulman969 - I think you also have to consider the prospect that many buyers are anything but experienced, and so it is not a game - they (we?) are flailing around. On the flipside, some people probably do those things because they are experienced buyers, and they know they work with inexperienced sellers.

20. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    As I posted. An experienced sales pro can tell the difference between them or at least I know I can. Honest buyers with sincere interest and legit questions are treated as such. The others? Not so much and the lack of counter offer to a listed price in lieu of asking my "best price" is never answered in kind.

This works for me but by no means is it the only way to do things. It's just my way of doing things. :D

bender66 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.