Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Guitar Center Used Gear Website

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Slim, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Slim

Slim Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2003
    Fayetteville, AR
    Am I doing something wrong or is it a ploy to get me to call directly by GC posting a single pic of used gear with zero description? I keep looking for a link to tell me anything about the product or maybe I need to install something to view the more than one flip-phone taken photograph. Diabolical.

threadbare and xafinity like this.

2. Grant Austin

Grant Austin Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Mar 18, 2016
    Portland, OR
    All I know is that most stores don't respond to email quickly. Often not at all. Good luck if you want more pictures.

Calling might work better, but I don't have the energy for that.

3. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs
    I have bought a bunch of stuff this way. The online system stinks. I find what I want and CALL the store. They find someone to get it off the shelf, etc and if I want, they take a photo or two and text them to me. I then buy it.

The online system stinks. Bad photos and it's terribly terribly slow

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

Dec 15, 2015
    Lehigh Valley
    Not a ploy, just a lazy employee.

6. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    They are not Reverb. They are a collection of Brick and Mortar stores. It's not a "ploy" or "laziness". They put they gear up, they have a huge reach, and people buy what they want. Mostly by going to the physical store, I'd guess, even for used stuff.

They also have a generous and easy return policy, and I have found their ratings of condition very accurate in my experience.

What more do you want?

I want more description from a private seller than from an established business. With GC if I don't like it, I just take it back. Or if I think it's different than "graded" they've NEVER once questioned or even asked for proof - just send me a prepaid return label.

7. Slim

Slim Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2003
    Fayetteville, AR
    Yep. It's just irritating because there are so many variables with used stuff. I'm looking at amps and I have no clue what speakers are in what.

Mechanic likes this.

8. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's

9. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

Just about every used instrument I've looked at on the GC website has very little info and/or pics.

I bought a used Takamine on the GC site and they sent it to my local store. I even had 30 days to return it. I'd pull the trigger and if you don't like it, bring it back.

EDIT: One more thing, when I called the Guitar Center where my guitar was shipped from, the folks were really nice. They sent some really good pics when I told them I was uneasy about buying a guitar site unseen

JustABluesGuy likes this.

10. Slim

Slim Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2003
    Fayetteville, AR
    I agree, they are generous in their policies. I'm pretty satisfied with Guitar Center's customer service, but my issue is their lack of description beyond a title and a single picture.

11. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Hey, to be fair, sometimes there are TWO pics!

I think generally if they think the item is not stock, or has notable "defects" you will get a very short description of the divergence.

12. Mr. Moss

Mr. Moss TDPRI Member

Apr 30, 2015
    CA
    It's not cost effective for GC to put a lot of time into detailed descriptions and photos. If I see something I like on the used site, I always call the store and ask questions and ask them to take more photos. They've always been more than happy to oblige.

If I pull the trigger, I have them send it to my local store, so if there are any undisclosed issues, I can just leave it there.

I've made a number of guitar/amp purchases from GC used and so far, I've only had positive experiences.

soulman969 likes this.

13. Slim

Slim Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2003
    Fayetteville, AR
    I should have pointed out that I do appreciate GC and would hate to not have one nearby. It's a business, I get it.

I would just like to know if a Vox had blues or greenbacks (or etc) before I called. I don't want to waste their time, but it's my time as well. That's all.

14. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

I bought a Diamond Memory Lane Jr listed in "excellent" condition for $175. I couldn't tell from the one small pic that the toggle switch was broken clean off, doubtful anyone could have. I didn't want to return the pedal because I loved the way it sounded and I had several gigs lined up. The subdivision toggle wasn't a necessity but I was still disappointed. After calling customer service they credited me $60. I was ok with that.

A couple of weeks later I mentioned this story on TGP and Amish Wallace of Diamond pedals pm'd me asking for my address so he could send me a new toggle switch. On his own dime he shipped me one a few days later. So all in all, it worked out that I got a ML jr for $115. I've yet to fix it, but I'll get around to it eventually.

JustABluesGuy and JayFreddy like this.

15. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Texas
    I've used the GC used site regularly for over a year now. That's standard. My experience with used gear from GC is that everything about their used gear is of the lowest priority. This includes the webpage for it. If I get a group of good photos and helpful, detailed description, I'm always surprised.

16. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    The return policy is generous. I used to call for an in-hand description and then process the purchase over the phone (sometimes the salesman seemed to want it that way) but the newer online purchase is easier and less time consuming for either of us. Now I call for a description, then buy online.

I return 2-3 out of 10 because they aren't up to what I expected via the in-hand description. But they take them back at my local (100 miles away) GC without any complaint or ugly look.

17. tery

tery Friend of Leo's

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    The amps will have stock speakers unless it is noted : Modded
    If not it is a no hassle return Especially if you go to your local GC and have it transferred store to store . Your store will also get credit for the sale .

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    brbadg likes this.

18. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Feb 24, 2005
    FL
    You have to call. Talk and get more pictures. I picked up a Gib SG 61 reissue for hundreds less that the going price. Online pic wasn't even close to what it looked like - probably why it wasn't moving.

19. Slim

Slim Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2003
    Fayetteville, AR
    That's interesting.

Glad to hear about the good experiences, makes me more inclined to call now.

20. studio1087

studio1087 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Diabolical?

I think you're missing the point.

-They catalog all of their used inventory.
    -You can search by location.
    -You can search by price minimums and maximums.
    -You can search by description.
    -They list the store locations.
    -They list the store phone numbers.
    -They list the manager's name at each store.
    -They will ship to your home for a nominal fee.
    -They will ship store to store for free.
    -They give you a month plus to use and return the items for any reason.
    -Unlike Reverb or eBay you can return any item for any reason and there is no intimidating process. They're cool. No worries.

Honestly; what the heck are you looking for that this retailer is falling short on?

I've bought 3 USA Fender guitars through this process, 2 Gibson guitars, I bought a nice Fender Pro Junior amplifier, I got a nice Seagull Grand Parlor guitar for my son and I bought a Taylor 210 for myself. I find something, I call the store, I ask the manager to sit and play the guitar while speaking to me on the phone (try that on eBay) and I ask the guy to describe any flaw that he can see and if it sounds good I float it on a credit card knowing that I can return the item before I get billed by the credit card company. No risk to me what so ever.

You're calling them diabolical??!!

Wow...........just..........wow.

21. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2003
    No CA
    Maybe I'm wrong but a GC employee recently told me that if I bought a piece of used gear and wanted to return it that I would have to pay shipping assuming I had it shipped from another store to my local store. You guys sound as though there is no risk in buying used equipment. Which is it?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.