Guitar Center Fiasco

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Orpingtons, May 27, 2019.

1. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I'd do it for $40.

2. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Luckily in Dallas we have several good alternatives.

I know a few cool people who still work at GC, but I think it's been 6 months since I've set foot in an actual GC store.

Before that, it was probably another 6 months.

I used to visit a GC store once every week. I still visit a music store regularly, just not GC.

In addition to a variety of independent stores, we also have a nice Sam Ash store too.

The main thing that keeps GC on my radar is their searchable database of used gear.

If I find something I want in Phoenix or Pennsylvania, I can have it shipped to my local store for less than what I would pay for shipping on Reverb.com.

For new stuff, I give my local mom and pops first shot, otherwise I order from Sweetwater, Musicians Friend, Adorama, or whoever offers the best deal.

I understand about death and taxes, but I admit I'm open to incentives to avoid both.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    rich815 and nojazzhere like this.
  3. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

YouTube people??????

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm puzzled.

Most GC locations don't even have anyone available to do tech work.

I've installed at least 60 sets of tuning machines. Never once have I bought any of these at GC. There's no point in it. There's too many other places you can buy them and get a better price. No disrespect intended towards the Poster here, but who buys tuning machines locally, and specifically who buys these machines locally at a GC? I don't rely on those guys to attach a strap button.

5. Pickin N Grinin

Pickin N Grinin Tele-Meister

And one more nail goes into the brick and mortar coffin. The internet is literally destroying them and yet they continue to conduct "business as usual". I really only buy my parts online where I don't have to select from the one or two items the store has in stock. Even when I'm in a jam for a part, they never seem to have what I need in stock anyhow.

Torren61, Dismalhead and nojazzhere like this.
  6. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Meister

This made me laugh, because the first time I ever set foot in a Guitar Center, it was because I needed a strap button fixed. I'd gotten an Epi Les Paul through Craigslist and the bottom strap button had broken off, leaving part of the screw in the body. The tech turned out to be a friendly young guy who actually knew his stuff. He drilled out the broken screw, glued in a piece of dowel, and installed new strap buttons for $20. I made a point of chatting with him every time I was there, and we got to be good acquaintances at least. I was sorry when he left. I realize my experience seems to be the exception to the rule at GC, but they're not all bad.

Torren61 likes this.
  7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Guitar Center.

It’s “The Tile Shop” of guitars !

(Hopefully somebody gets that joke...)

william tele likes this.
  8. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Yikes.

Amazon Prime is your friend.

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Guitar Center, Home Depot, Lowes, Wally-Mart....You love them & hate them Amazon just a friendly guy in a big white van :)

10. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

For fun when I'm in Home Depot I sometimes flag down an employee and ask about something that is directly behind him. "I don't think we stock those sir".

Toto'sDad and Torren61 like this.
  11. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

Yeah but it will be a real good GC job. :confused:

12. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

Ha. I’d do that but I don’t think my local HD has any employees anywhere...

Paul in Colorado and BrandonIke like this.
  13. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

I bypass all that and usually just send a written complaint directly to the CEO.

Of course he never see's it but someone WAY higher up than a manager DOES!

You can only push $h1t so far up a hill but if you send it to the top in the first place it flows down quite nicely on its own.

I've had a lot of success using this method.

14. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I've never had an issue of any type at my local GC. I know and respect their techs, I'm on a first name basis with the manager, and I have known most of the staff for years. Never been offered any grief over buying parts, and have had them recommend other businesses if they didn't have or couldn't get what I needed or couldn't handle a repair. Most of them have seen and played guitars I've built when I brought them in to try with different amps. On more than one occasion I have had a customer's technical question referred to me if I happened to be in the store. I love the place.

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, I'm not at all satisfied that people used GC or Mars or Sam Ash for such things as replacement tuning machines. Even long before the Internet and all that stuff existed (and certainly before it scaled up). I don't think GC ever stood to make a dime on such items. I think people are forgetting that Guitar Modding is a pretty new craze, maybe 12-14 years old, and it wasn't that long ago that people still let "someone else" do all the crucial work on their guitars. I see people changing tuning machines and bridges and pickups who would never have considered doing such things in 2003. A lot of things have changed. Even the Ma and Pa guitar places didn't stock this kind of thing (they ordered upon request, from Allparts IMO).

16. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I made the mistake of buying a cable there. It's getting old having the GC tech come over every time I want to practice...

17. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Holic

There is always a manager or assistant manager on duty at Guitar Center.
    Had the OP asked to speak with him/her he would have left with the tuners.
    If I take the time to check online, then call to make sure something is in stock, and am then told they don't have it for a carry out sale, I would politely and firmly ask for the manager.
    Why go to all the trouble that the OP did and just leave? I don't get it. Maybe someone can explain it to me. Posting a thread here accomplishes little except to fuel the "G.C. hate".

18. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry for the OP-- yes you should be able to just buy a part if they have it in stock.

However, just for clarification, are all Fender tuning machines the same? AFAIK they are not, and therefore it is a legitimate
    question as to whether a particular set will fit your guitar without modification. But that should be your problem, not their problem.
    Maybe they thought they were doing you a favor in making sure you didn't buy a set that would end up not actually fitting your guitar.

But even if they were trying to be helpful, they should have said what the issue is and offered to 1) sell the set to you with "caveat emptor" and that
    you're always welcome to return it if it's not the right one; 2) have their tech confirm that the set you wanted to buy indeed is a straight replacement
    for your specific model of Fender guitar (FOR FREE...
    that's why you would go to a store rather than just buy on line); and 3) mention that they also have the ability to install for you if that is what
    you would like, for $80 labor. ($80 labor seems potentially fair to me given hourly rates...although $60 if it's a straight replacement seems
    more like it).

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nothing personal against you and I realize that this is waht the world is coming to, online retail.
    But...

I refuse to buy from Amazon or MF because online retail is putting brick & mortar retail out of business.

Worse still though, to my observation Amazon has been replacing better products with worse look alike products for years, and as time passes, the buying public has come to accept that everything is disposable.
    It's been quite some time since we all saw Amazon put all the bookstores out of business.
    Of course a book is a book no matter where you buy it, but without those handy pickup joints we all had to turn to dating sites.

My feeling is that given how much hate GC gets compared to how much love Amazon gets, then comparing the service and product quality of those two retailers, my finding is that Amazon products are more often bad than GC products, which is partly because at GC we can go back and throw a fit if they sell us a piece of junk claiming it's a fine product.

Seems to me that Amazon customers have been lulled into complacency by all the membership benefits and "easy return policy".

My problem with GC?
    They always have a changing selection of used gear at prices lower than Amazon, ebay, MF, sweetwater etc, plus all the latest recording tech and generally somebody who can discuss how the stuff works, and will even suggest the product isn't the best solution for my needs.
    Oh yeah what was my problem?
    I can't afford all the cheap gear that looks good, that's right in front of me so I can try it out, that I can return weeks later if I don't like it, and that also has other gear I can use to try out the item I might want combined with other gear.

I just don't get how so many can buy without trying.

But then this new retail style piles the used market with mint condition gear that I guess was bought from the couch out of boredom or curiosity.

stnmtthw and nojazzhere like this.
  20. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

I have a GC about 5 miles from my house and another one about 2.5 miles from my office. In a blue moon I'll go in there to grab a 3 pack of strings for $10 when they have them on sale. While there I usually browse just for fun. Lots of good used equipment, but way over priced.

G&Lplayer likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.