Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitar Case #1 (for the Semi Hollow)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by hfw01, Mar 11, 2017.

1. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2012
    United States
    The new semi-hollow guitar is too large for most pre-made guitar cases, so I decided to build one. I looked at a few build threads online to base this off of, including one buried in one of Scatter Lee's builds. After seeing someone else asking about an odd sized case, I thought this would be worth doing a build thread on.

Quick drawing of the dimensions for the case.

[​IMG]

Some 1/4" plywood that I hope has two sections large enough to use the the top and bottom. We will see. I have not measured or inspected too carefully yet.

[​IMG]

A few pieces of poplar I picked up at Lowe's to make the case out of.

[​IMG]

My fancy jig. Easy, quick way to make sure I get the lengths close to the consistent.

[​IMG]

Clamped together so I can sand the edges, and get the pieces actually even in length.

[​IMG]

One of my helpers doing a little sanding.

[​IMG]

My other helper.

[​IMG]

And a quick check to verify that the guitar will fit.

[​IMG]

darkforce, Barncaster and Dunkerhook like this.

2. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    Fantastic job, even if you did use child labor.:D

3. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Looks like one of them would rather be riding her bike, too!

4. Dunkerhook

Dunkerhook Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey
    Diggin' this. I have a baritone and an explorer in mind and was not looking forward to buying a case. Maybe I'll do this...

5. Dunkerhook

Dunkerhook Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey
    Almost forgot: your help reminds me of mine.

IMG_1429.JPG

hfw01 likes this.

6. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2012
    United States
    Router Table Build
    As part of the guitar case build, I want to use a router table for some of the steps. I had one that Hurricane Katrina took out. I never got rid of it assuming I might be able to reuse the hardware, and the base was fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Decided to go to Lowe's, and see what I could find that looked flat and cheap.

[​IMG]

Cutting some slots for the fence to run on. No pictures of me balancing the board in one hand while working the drill press with the other, but I did drill out a good bit of the channel before starting to route.

[​IMG]

Clamped a board to give me a straight line.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Needs to be cleaned up a little.

[​IMG]

But it works.

[​IMG]

7. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2012
    United States
    A little more progress was made on the router table today after work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2012
    United States
    Getting closer. I didn't get to do a final fitting, but I think it should be good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Daniel94 likes this.

9. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2012
    United States
    Did a test fit at lunch today. It's looking good. Just need to screw the top to the base. Not sure if I have screws that are the right length. I may have to go out and get some.

[​IMG]

10. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2012
    United States
    I routed the edges of the case yesterday at lunch. Today, I started on gluing up the case. I got one side done at lunch, and then had to go back to work.

[​IMG]

I also received the hinge a day or two ago. There appears to be something amiss. Thankfully, Amazon is shipping out another to replace this one.

[​IMG]

11. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2012
    United States
    I did a little more gluing on the frame. Tomorrow I will try and cut the top and bottom, and get those glued on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HairyChapter and Daniel94 like this.

12. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2012
    United States
    I glued one side this morning. This is all of my clamps though, and the red ones are not big enough for the bottom of the case. I will need to make a run for more clips to do the bottom half.

[​IMG]

Daniel94 likes this.

13. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2012
    United States
    I glued in the neck supports, and routed the edge of the top and bottom covers. I made the ply a little bigger than the frame so I didn't have to be too perfect lining everything up when I glued it together. Now it needs a good bit of sanding before I stain it, or paint it, or cover the outside with something. Not quite sure about that part.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

R. Stratenstein and LPTyler like this.

14. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Good fit, and lots of room for accessories.

15. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2012
    United States
    Just need to design the accessories compartment(s). Considering doing two doors, above and below the neck, so the guitar does not need to be removed to get at them. Not sure about that though.

16. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2012
    United States
    Decided to just brush on Polyurethane / Stain. Did not get the compressor to spray the case. I have put two coats on so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Tdel10

Tdel10 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2016
    Wheeling WV
    Are you going to pad the inside of the case with something?

18. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2012
    United States
    I have the remains of some of a memory foam mattress pad that my wife and I replaced. I need to fit it to the guitar, and buy some fabric to cover it. And figure out what I am going to stick it to the case with.

I also need to design the inner compartment for holding the small bits.

19. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2012
    United States
    I started cutting the memory foam I have to size. It is a little thick, so I am carving out a space for the guitar. I still need to find some material to cover it with. The green towel is just for the test fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2012
    United States
    I got one side of the case lined. The spray adhesive I used isn't working quite perfectly.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.