Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitar Cables

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Middleman, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    Not to inspire a debate about some cables being better than others. I just read this article https://www.soundonsound.com/people/sounding-wire . I have noticed recently that one of my very short guitar cables 4 foot in length, passes harsh high frequencies and makes every guitar I use it with produce a very painful upper frequency output (maybe 2-3k) which actually hurts the ear. This is a cable made by Livewire. In contrast one of my 10 foot cables, made by Fender, completely eliminates the excessive high frequency problem and actually produces a better tonal result across several guitars. At first I thought it might be a problem with the AC showing 125v at the socket but it came down to the length of the guitar cable. I've heard of long cable runs reducing high frequencies but never short cable runs increasing high frequencies but I suppose it makes sense. In any case, got it sorted out.

I am wondering if amps are baselined for a certain guitar cable length at which they perform at their best. Any thoughts?

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Are you claiming the short cable *increases* high frequencies, or just that it doesn't lower them like the longer cable does?

nojazzhere likes this.

3. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine

4. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    Reverse the cable, and prepare to be AMAZED.

5. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Holic

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    Have you tried turning the cable around? ;):D:eek:

But seriously... different cables have different designs, some have higher capacitance, etc., which will change tone.

(woops, I posted just before LutherBurger's post appeared! GMTA)

6. Middleman

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    The cable only has one end.

The shorter cable brings significantly more high frequencies is the point.

7. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    It would probably sound better with two.

Georox, Steve Holt, 71Tele and 4 others like this.

8. Middleman

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    Cable humor. Love it.

LutherBurger likes this.

9. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    There's your problem. Too much high end collecting in the cable. Try one with two ends so some of the high end can get out.

Georox and nojazzhere like this.

10. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2014
    Bucks Co. PA
    Poor shielding or the shielding is breaking down.
    Otherwise without calibrated ear drums you can't tell the difference over a 10' length. I don't believe how much money people Pi** away on cables. I make my own and sell the surplus.

11. Middleman

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    Could be. Dramatic difference in sound in any case.

12. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Meister

Jan 6, 2017
    NWNJ
    put a figure 8 knot in one and report back...

13. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    At 4 feet its acting as a broadcast antenna. FCC rulebreaker.

Look at tube Screamers and their one foot cables, no wonder they scream. Short cables equal crowded electron flow which equals painful crowding of muons competing for elbow room.
    No electronic slave should be tortured by short cables.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    teleaddicted and teletimetx like this.

14. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I think it's possible that your 4 foot cable is of very poor quality or different quality when compared to your 10 foot cable. You're "length" testing isn't a real test because none of your cables of different length are made the same. If they were all made of the same stuff and if different lengths sounded different then the length might be at fault. There's no way of knowing what is at fault (they way that you described things).

I found a seller on ebay called Rockville. I really like their cables. They sell on their own site and on ebay and on Amazon. Here's an example.....

https://www.rockvilleaudio.com/6-rcgt60b/

I have about 70 of their cables in about 8 different lengths. I've used them for gigs and I've used them for rehearsal and I've used them for recording. I have many lengths with the same plugs on the ends and the same grade of cable and the same shielding and the same soldering (the same everything!) on every length of cable and guess what...........they all sound the same in all the applications.

I'm thinking that length doesn't matter to the naked ear.

15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Try hanging the short one outside on a shielded clothesline.....Be sure cable is hanging at equal lengths....leave at least 24 hours.

Georox and xafinity like this.

16. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    The old bird poop shielding trick?

[​IMG]

Georox, nojazzhere and radiocaster like this.

17. teleaddicted

teleaddicted Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2013
    Roma Urbe
    I'll bring the beers :D:D:)

Blue Bill and notmyusualuserid like this.

18. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Meister

May 3, 2016
    Scotland
    Wait! I've got to get another beer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.