Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

(Guitar) Build #1

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jamorudd, Dec 1, 2012.

1. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2012
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Welp, this is a bit of je va du all over again. A couple years ago, I start obsessively stalking the Luthier's Lounge section of the Ukulele Underground forum, and now I've built 5 ukes. A few months ago, I start obsesively stalking THD, and what do you know, I'm closing in on finishing my first guitar! Just thought I'd post a few pictures along the way and have a place to ask questions. Hope you guys enjoy! I'll start with a couple pics of stuff I've built before, but for now: Christmas shopping! so I'll get around to more of this later.

2. mike shaw

mike shaw Tele-Holic

Nov 1, 2009
    Illinois
  3. J Lacey

J Lacey Tele-Holic

Jul 19, 2006
    North Georgia
    I had Déjà vu once, then I had it again.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2012
    Oklahoma City, OK
    First, a couple of my ukulele builds.
    [​IMG]

The "Uke of Steel" for my Superman obsessed girlfriend, almost finished...
    http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u593/Jamorudd/603575_3640511378500_1189802018_n.jpg

Then my transition uke into the solid body world
    [​IMG]

And last but not least, my current, first tele build! Chambered walnut body with a thick (~.5") maple cap. Body weighs in at 5.6 lbs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the uncarved Walnut/maple sandwich neck, and soon to be maple fretboard:
    [​IMG]

And finally, next to the little brother. Just need to finish up wiring and install tuners on that one...
    [​IMG]

6. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2012
    Oklahoma City, OK
    (Edit) Okay, I give. How do I resize pictures on this thing???

7. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Jul 25, 2012
    Kelowna B.C, Canada
    I recomend using imgur.com once you upload them you can choose what size you use, original, large, small, thumbnail, etc. then you just copy the code, paste it on the site and bada bing bada boom, it's whatever size you selected.

8. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2012
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Great! Thanks, I'll check that out.

9. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2012
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Okay, quick question: can anyone help me wire this pickup on the electric ukulele? It's an electric mandolin pickup from Allparts, and has only one wire coming out of it that looks like a wire inside another wire (sorry, no pictures at the moment). Is the wire between the two insulations the ground wire? Sorry, I'm clueless when it comes to this part of it...

10. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    If it looks anything like this, the outer wire is the ground and the inner wire is the "signal".

Attached Files:

11. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2012
    Oklahoma City, OK
    That looks like it! Thanks, that's how I suspected it works, but like I said, I'm totally new to wiring this stuff, so I thought I'd double check with the wise folks around here.

12. SlappaDaBass

SlappaDaBass TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2012
    Oklahoma City
    Dude, lookin good! That Superman uke is so legit, love that sound hole!

13. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2012
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Aww shucks! Thanks! Haha good to see you on here!

14. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

Mar 12, 2009
    Independence, MO
    Great ukes! I'm going the other direction... starting to get into ukuleles myself... I'm sure a build or 3 are in my future!

I like your combination of walnut and maple, too!

15. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2012
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Yeah, ukes seem to be the popular thing these days! That solid uke looks a bit rough, but I kinda like the whole DIY feel it has. That was pretty much what I came up with when left entirely to my own devices, no templates or pattern or anything, so I'm hoping to step the quality up quite a bit on the guitar. Fingers crossed!

16. SlappaDaBass

Dec 2, 2012
    Oklahoma City
    This is your first guitar?! Wow, I started out in ukes too, I figured take a shot at the guitar but after looking at your first one, I must say I'm a bit intimidated now...maybe I'll go to do a banjo or somethin first

17. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2012
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Oooh, Banjo! Now there's one to put on the to-do list! I've actually been half-way in the banjo market for a while, funds just have yet to come around...

18. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2012
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Okay, here's another question for anyone kind enough to grace me with their knowledge: Until Christmas break, I am only able to make good progress on any of this stuff on the weekends, when I am able to hit my grandpa's shop. I was hoping to get the rest of the sawdust-making out of the way this weekend, so I could possibly actually be able to do some finishing during the next week. However, I realized last weekend the drill press in grandpa's shop does not have a throat deep enough to do the string-thru holes. So the question is: is it possible to do these (well) by another method or would my energy be better spent trying to gain access to a different drill press?

19. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2012
    Oklahoma City, OK
    And on the off-hand chance that I were to invest in my own drill press, what size is necessary for all tele-building tasks? Any chance a cheap one from Harbor Freight is worth while?

20. adirondak5

adirondak5 Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    12" swing , 6" throat , minimum size for Tele work . Lots of folks here use Harbor Freight presses , IMO I would spend a little more a get a better quality press , buy once , cry once :)

21. SlappaDaBass

Dec 2, 2012
    Oklahoma City

Ya, that's a good one

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.