Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitar became unplayable overnight

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Rayf_Brogan, May 16, 2018.

1. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    the truss rods in all of my guitars work exactly the opposite of what you are saying.
    loosening it allows the strings to create the valley, or relief.
    tightening it takes away relief and tightening it too much creates a backbow and pushes the strings closer to the neck.
    to the op....loosen the truss rod 1/4 turn and let it sit awhile. this may fix your problem.
    adjusting the relief is always the first step after putting on new strings, so, if your relief is already good, then adjust the saddles. then the intonation. try to find youtube vids on how to check relief.

Wally likes this.

2. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Holic

May 7, 2015
    atlanta
    you know I have to agree, I'm still working my way through my morning coffee, I was totally off there. The string tension is what bows the neck creating the valley and the truss rod counteracts the string tension by flattening the neck(pushing back against the string tension). so you are right slackening the nut is what is needed. My apologies for the confusion.

this was a great source, when I was trying to understand truss rod setup on a acoustic that just wasn't cooperating

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/GenSetup/TrussRods/TrussRodAdj/tradj.html

tap4154, Wally and Ebidis like this.

3. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2017
    Washington
    I paid for the setup at my local guitar shop. I bring all my guitars in when I get them so I can have the nut done by someone better than me and then just have them take care of the rest. From there I can adjust action & intonation every so often, but it helps to have a good baseline to start from. I never really had to adjust a truss rod before, but this is my first spring/summer in Virginia with this guitar so the weather may be more up and down here.

Wally likes this.

4. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Holic

Jun 27, 2016
    Alabama
    LOL.

It's ok, I'm still working on my morning coffee as well. I understand. ;)

boredguy6060 likes this.

5. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    Glad that got straightened out, I’m a little foggy, but every time I read magicfingers post my brain started to hurt.
    But I thought perhaps I was reading it wrong.

Ebidis and Wally like this.

6. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Holic

May 7, 2015
    atlanta
    you read it fine, I wrote it wrong. glad I'm not a piano tuner, I could really make a mess...

tap4154, Wally, Ebidis and 1 other person like this.

7. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2017
    Washington
    Thanks guys. I made a couple of adjustments, realized I was going the wrong way, back tracked and now the guitar plays good as new. I learned something new today. Appreciate everyone's help.

brookdalebill, Wally and Ebidis like this.

8. highwaycat

highwaycat Tele-Meister

Jun 15, 2017
    California
    There's a little truthful knowledge in magicfingers99 's posts. But It doesn't really apply to this situation. There can be a valley around the nut with relief, but you only consider this when doing refrets, more of if you are sanding a fingerboard with the frets off or adding relief by sanding the fingerboard, or compression fretting a vintage acoustic guitar that doesn't have a truss rod to straighten the neck.
    This is similar to how an acoustic guitar may develop a hump around the 12th fret, there are some spots to look at and their problems and fixes, but again mainly regarding fingerboard and fretwork, a little too far in a situation compare to the op's problem. But in (op's) this case adding relief will remove the buzz. So this knowledge doesn't apply to the op's situation, however it is helpful to know when refretting a guitar. Everybody wins!

9. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Putting the guitar in a hard case with humidipaks goes a long long way towards minimizing how much you have to mess with this stuff.

ebb soul likes this.

10. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2014
    Arivaca AZ
    1 the strings should gradually increase in height off the fingerboard.
    2 the neck should never be straight. Think of the strings as a bow string of a bow and arrow.
    3 I see most electric guitarists being OCD about action. Play some acoustic and classical and lose that!

You don't need a lot of measuring tools. Play with adjustments until it feels pretty good. If it's a .5 millimeter higher than it is "supposed" to be so what.

BTW if you have the relief a little more than "spec" and the action just a little higher then "spec" the guitar will travel better and be still playable after moving between temperatures etc.

If that makes it unplayable (higher action , more relief) You need to buy an acoustic to practice on.

11. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Happens all the time, when the seasons change. As to the "suddenness", there's not much ground in between "no buzz" and "buzz". One day it doesn't, next day it does. Even just after a "perfect" setup.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.