Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitar at a Party

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by warrent, Jun 15, 2018.

1. warrent

warrent Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    This turned up in my instagram feed it's kind of neat

2. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    truth

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

4. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    The party's over when I start playing.

5. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I refuse to play impromptu guitar at parties. The expectation is too high, and it really doesn't much matter what is played - it rarely serves to perpetuate the party. Unless you play some pedestrian sing-a-long like Margaritaville, most people may be generally impressed by your talent, but the context is not there to increase the mood, simply by plucking out an acoustic tune.

Although...

I did have a friend who wrote a comedy song a few years ago, specifically for these situations. It's called "Talulla Ray" and it's about his escapades with an ex-girlfriend who was a red-neck with no teeth, living with her kids in a trailer park. It was absolutely hilarious, and he could simply do that one song and kill it. Then set the guitar down, and be a hero for a while.

6. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Holic

May 10, 2007
    Laurentians, Quebec
    A house party is perhaps the worst environment to try to play anything. I keep falling into the trap, and each time it gets more painful. I wrote parody/short-story about it in my UPCOMING BOOK (tell your friends).

Minimalist518 likes this.

7. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    Many years ago I was asked to bring a guitar and an amp to a house party to jam with others. The minute I set it down someone else picked it up and it made the rounds to others as if it were a drunk lap dancer the whole night. I played the keyboard the entire party.

8. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2012
    Nebraska
    I know of at least two guitars stolen at parties. Can't enjoy yourself when you are on guard duty all night.

9. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Ad Free Member

Yes, or badly damaged. I would spend most of my time guarding my guitar. I wasn’t rich and couldn’t afford to get it repaired if it got damaged, and people at parties are notorious for imbibing substances that lessened their inhibition! Ruined the party for me every time. Finally just left it at home.

10. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    But in Louisiana...

william tele likes this.

11. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2011
    Branson, Mo
    My idea of a party is four or five musicians who can trade songs for a couple of hours without lyric sheets, playing with one another. An audience is unnecessary.

12. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Quite a few years ago, I was along for the ride with my wife at a baby shower. My wife knew people, but I didn't, so after initial introductions, there wasn't much for me to contribute. As I recall, the only other guy there was the husband/father, so he had to be directly involved and "Ooh" and "Ahh" over every gift. I definitely felt like a bull in a china shop. Then I spied two guitars hanging on the wall. They weren't anything special, and I guess were more for decoration than anything.

I inquired about them, and got permission to play them. I wasn't trying to perform for anyone; I wasn't trying to draw attention to myself. On the contrary, I was trying to distance myself from the event that was more oriented to the women present. it was like a self defense mechanism to ward off the boredom I would have otherwise felt at that party. I didn't sing anything, I just noodled around, playing some instrumental medleys that I use at restaurant gigs. I call it my "Music to Ignore Me By" repertoire.

On the one hand, I felt a little worried that I might be perceived as being rude. But on the other hand, I felt much more comfortable passing the time that way than feigning fascination at the unveiling of each present. But well into the party, the hostess and the couple being "showered" thanked me, saying they enjoyed my playing and that it enhanced the evening for them.

I've used that party coping technique several more times since over the years. And each time it has been received much the same way. The trick is to not think of it as a performance. And in my experience, the host/hostess and party-goers have no problem letting me play in the background. Most Americans treat musicians playing at a party as though they're flesh covered radios anyway.

13. ponce

ponce Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2011
    Croatia
    I know a few guys who are very good at that. Playing a guitar for an hour or so and getting a group of random people to sing along. I usually would fill in with some gems and a few of instrumental tunes but I alone don't have a repertoire to hold the mentioned group of people at attention for a longer time.

Funny thing is, in the early days, those guys would play mostly to impress girls at the beach in the evening, but they'd end up in the corner alone with their guitars, and the guys who were in the listeners group would get all the girls.:)

Minimalist518 likes this.

14. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I definitely don't attend the same parties as some. While a guitar is viewed as a good thing at a party, a fellow who can think of songs that are fun to listen to and cause others to join in is never ridiculed...in my old circles anyway.

It's my experience that most people who play music do it to see others smile, rather than to impress. I know I sure do. There are exceptions. Lucky me, I've steered clear of em'.

15. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I like parties where a few people play and others sing along or listen while conversing with friends. I'd rather have that then recorded music.

16. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    When people ask me to play guitar at a party or a social gathering of some kind, what they're really asking is for me to sing something. I always beg out of the opportunity.

17. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2011
    Branson, Mo
    I suppose that’s more flattering than being asked to play “background music.”

william tele likes this.

18. Deeve

Deeve Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    Actually, I've done better when playing "wallpaper music" of my own choosing than attempting to read a classical sheet music book from too-far away, to "accompany" the viola-player-host knew by heart (yes - train wreck - I had no idea what those obscure Viennese pieces were)

Live and learn - I hope. . .
    Peace - Deeve

Lake Placid Blue likes this.

19. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I don't sing, so I don't play guitar at parties - full stop!

radiocaster likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.