Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

guitar arsenal opinions

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by e44crowe, Mar 21, 2012.

1. e44crowe

e44crowe Tele-Meister

Here's the deal. My #1 is my Gibson LP. I also have a Strat. I have flirted with Teles throughout the years as well.

I have a wild hair and thought i would seek TDPRI counsel.

I love the neck on my Strat but i am not loving all aspects of it. I like the contours and i like the neck pup. The middle pup. Meh. The bridge pup... so unlikeable that i swapped it for a humbucker to give me something familiar to my LP. The bridge is OK now. I kind of like the in between positions but not as much as the neck pup alone.

Now, i love the Tele bridge pup. I love the way a tele feels on my picking hand. Unfortunately the non-contoured body hits my ribs in a terrible way that makes the tele very uncomfortable.

I like the simplicity of an esquire and how it is a great contrast to my LP.

Soooo, what are thoughts on finding a Tele body with belly and possibly forearm contours that will fit my Strat neck?

I could go the Esquire route with the Strat neck and the comfort contours or i could do the above and include my Strat neck pup.

Any suggestions on where to get the body? Warmoth can do what i want but they are pricey.

Thanks for reading my long winded post.

2. Jack FFR1846

Jack FFR1846 Tele-Afflicted

Why not buy a MIM tele. Put in your own forearm and belly contours. If you need to know how to do that with nothing more than a hand belt sander, a vice and a bunji cord (no, I'm not kidding), let me know. There's an entire build thread I did there putting those features into another guitar. MIM bodies are every bit the MIA ones, but with more pieces of wood. You can buy the guitar, use the body and sell of the pieces you don't need.

3. e44crowe

e44crowe Tele-Meister

Tell me more Jack.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Phelonious Ponk

Phelonious Ponk Tele-Afflicted

Why not just change the pups in your strat?

P

6. mistermullens

mistermullens Poster Extraordinaire

I say, get a Tele body with the Strat contours, drop your Strat neck, and neck pup in the body, throw in an SD Broadcaster pup, and you're good to go. If you're not feeling the Strat neck pup, yank it, and wire it up Esquire style. As a self-proclaimed Esquire Freak, a lot of us have installed Broadcaster pups in our Esquires, and love them. I have them in two guitars.

7. e44crowe

e44crowe Tele-Meister

I dont wanna just change the pups in my Strat because i really like the Tele bridge and bridge pup.

What i need to find out is where can i get a Tele body with Strat contours that isnt so expensive. I know Warmoth will make exactly what i want but they are so pricey.

8. jebbo

jebbo Tele-Holic

OK how's this ? You could get a 2012 american standard body (they now have the belly) and put a strat neck on it. You could put a standard tele bridge pup, and put a strat neck pup in the neck. Then you will have a strat/tele hybrid. That sounds like a sweet guitar to me.

9. Oakville Dave

Oakville Dave Friend of Leo's

10. e44crowe

e44crowe Tele-Meister

Wow. I didn't know the new American Standard Tele has the contour. Cue raging G.A.S. pains.

11. twiggymac

twiggymac Tele-Holic

i would say get a cheapo tele body off of ebay, contour it with a belt sander, stick on your strat neck, get her a strat sized pickguard, wire it up with a tele bridge pickup and your neck pickup, and then rock out!

12. Hiker

Hiker Friend of Leo's

Get a 2012 American Standard Tele which includes a gut cut, or you can call them contours if you'd like to...Then, keep it stock! :mrgreen:

13. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

+1, it also has a twisted tele neck pup, which is a intended to sound like a strat neck tone. The Broadcaster neck pup sure isnt bad for rock either.

Also-you had a chance to title this thread guitarsenal options. But no.

14. stilesg57

stilesg57 Tele-Holic

Warmoth will make you a body with those specs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.