Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitar Amp With The Best "Unplugged" Sound

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Stisch

Stisch TDPRI Member

Jun 18, 2017
    Silver Cliff, WI
    I vote this. I bought one second hand since it was cheap. This is The most awful sounding amp I've ever used. I couldn't get a sound I liked out of it with any of my guitars. The best use I found for it was a drum monitor on my ekit so my girlfriends son couldn't get to loud with it.

download.jpeg

2. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    My god, some of this stuff has me laughing out loud. And, a couple of those amps look horribly familiar from my early days. I was hoping I would neither see or not not hear them again.

3. vangoghsear

vangoghsear Tele-Meister

Sep 18, 2014
    NE USA
    Ah yes, the Gorilla GG series (I had a 60) and the Tiesco Checkmate 10 (I had that very model). The OP showed a GG-35 imagine my even greater delight as my higher wattage Gorilla GG-60 would switch into its most glorious tonal setting of all...the one with its power cord stowed securely into it's open back... ah I have fond memories of that.

As for the Checkmate, mine fell down my attic steps once. Best sound it ever made.

Guitarteach likes this.

4. dlaroe

dlaroe Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2009
    Rougemont, NC
    I found a Gorilla cab in somebody's garbage at the side of the road. There was so much more resonance with the amp and speaker removed, I highly recommend the mod!

Guitarteach likes this.

5. TheBadHombre

TheBadHombre TDPRI Member

Are you tired of winking yet? Might be time to switch to a “lol” or “Discreet chuckle” emoji.

6. TheBadHombre

TheBadHombre TDPRI Member

I feel the same way about my fender frontman 15W

7. midnight340

midnight340 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Dec 27, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    It is really a matter of personal taste as far as cab material.

Now that it has been brought up, I do have to admit MDF does has a better tone than basswood (or ash, alder, etc.) Especially when you need more clarity to your silence, or even a bit more grit for full on quietude.

Truly magical, especially with the power cord cut completely off and the amp stripped of any internal PCBs.

8. DugT

DugT TDPRI Member

Sep 22, 2017
    northern CA
    I love Gorilla amps whether they are loud or quiet or just faking it but I especially love turning them on and then plugging into them gorilla style for some serious monkey business. Then I eat a banana and take a nap.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017

9. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    These knob settings are the dogs bollocks on my ancient Peavey Basic.

Image1510759278.529023.jpg

10. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

For our American friends ..... That's a good thing!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.