Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitar Amp Trends In 2018?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Kayle McGuire, Dec 6, 2017.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Right now I think they only work as preamp tubes.

2. Slim

Slim Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2003
    Fayetteville, AR
    I could see a Kemper type modeler made overseas for around $500.

foundjoe likes this.

3. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    Upcoming I see carbon fiber/birch/carbon fiber ply cabinets. (Carbon fiber by itself supposedly has funky resonance). NEO speakers. No moving knobs—maybe just a touch screen.

A 15-pound, 100-watt, single 12-inch speaker, combo amp.

4. Fenderflame

Fenderflame Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2013
    Mid Sussex, UK
    I often wonder why more trad amp companies (Mesa, Marshall, Blackstone, Vox) have never done more with midi switching for greater channel choice from footswitches. Hughes & Kettner have been doing this for a while but very few others.

I can imagine a valve amp with a programmable footswitches for every output, topology, tone stack setting, reverb setting and master volume etc.

If I was running a valve amp company is be looking at this as the only way to keep up with the raft of modelling amps that offer every amp known to man. A Mesa Mark V has three channels, each with three modes, so nine channel options - but only three are footswitchable at a time.

Many multi FX units have midi ability so could easily be used in this way.

Other than that, I would love to see a low cost Kemper chaser or a nutube combo.

5. ballynally2

ballynally2 Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2009
    donegal ireland
    solid pine cabs with neo speakers.both cheap and light oh and good sounding.
    Small valve amp heads market will continue to grow if the total package can stay under $500.until baby boomers have died ie me (1964).modeling amps will remain cheap and the higher end like Kemper will go down.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 2:07 PM
    Vitadog likes this.

6. ballynally2

ballynally2 Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2009
    donegal ireland
    the problem is that a valve circuit is an integrated board where everything affects everything.more companies offer different eq settings or bypassing the tone stack, master volume etc but there are limitations to what you can do.
    It remains a non linear system.an ss board is a better platform for various options like the ones you mention.
    Also: actual knobs on an amp are quite handy compared to footswitches.if yr already have an effects unit more footswitches are not a good thing imo

7. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    With the passing of the 20x0 series of ICs, both prime and second source, Class D will come into its own for 25W and under. Gone will be ( if they aren't already ) meaty transformers, and caps with enough stored charge to blow holes in careless fingers will pass away, to be replaced with switched mode supplies.
    The days of the A/B Class IC amp are numbered. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not. MOSFET stages came and went, replaced with TDA style output stages and it took a few years to get the best from them. Class D will take over. It's cheaper to implement and bass amps/PA systems are already KW capable in amplifiers that can be carried in one hand. You can buy a Class D board from online retailers for less than £10 which will push out 30W with a suitable supply.
    Nutube will steadily grow for pre-amp stages in the Vox range. More and more integration with 'phones, tablets and computers. Valve amps will continue to sell to those of us who have trouble pouring pee from a boot and want nothing to do with whizzo, FX laden amps. We'll be increasingly seen as Luddites, and we won't give a fig.

8. ballynally2

ballynally2 Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2009
    donegal ireland
    The difference between ss and valve for guitar players is still greater than for bass players.
    Still lots of variations of ye old classic amps produced.it's not just us oldies buying them me thinks

41144 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.