Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitar Amp Trends In 2018?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Kayle McGuire, Dec 6, 2017 at 2:50 AM.

1. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    The guitar and guitar amp market is one of only a few in the world that has no desire to progress. It's hard to create something new and exciting when very few are interested. Drummers, bass players and keyboard players are far more open minded - and anyone that has been in a band knows that is not a compliment :D

I'd like to see more progress (and acceptance) in the delivery... class D power, NEO speakers and FRFR boxes. Technology is there to let the pre-amps take care of the "tone & feel" duty... it's delivering that tone to the user that is misunderstood and somewhat lacking.

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 9:37 AM

2. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    On top of all the computerized stuff I'd love to see some of the manufacturers (e.x. Fender) start innovating on their Tube amps.

Item one, how about more amps with NuTube like Vox. That looks like an area ripe for some exciting new amps. Someone still needs to make a 100% tube amp with all NuTubes since the Vox ones are NuTube + SS.

How about Fender and some others introducing new flavors of their older amps that have more power scaling, etc.. Looks like they have a single model that does this, the Bassbreaker 45, but now about a Blues Junior or Princeton Reverb model that can be turned down to 0.5/1 watt whatever for "bedroom mode".

I have that feature in my Orange Rocker 15 and it's an amazing feature. If you could make a design like that and it had NuTubes instead of traditional tubes and that led to an increase in reliability, decrease in maintenance, less weight, etc.. you could have some really really exciting new amps. If Fender did that and it sounded like classic Fender tone I'd be all over that.

I have a modeler (THR) and a Tube amp, and the tube amp is way more exciting. I just don't need a ton of sounds, the amp only needs one-ish flavor for me to be happy. Minimal tweaking and great sound all around. The THR is not exactly bad in terms of needing to spend time tweaking it but it's still a time waster compared to the tube amp. For the modelers, maybe some do this but I haven't tried one yet, make one have something like the EHX Hum debugger inside it internally for us single coil users. Also continue to try and make modelers simpler.

For other stuff how about continued progress on reducing noise and such in the amps. E.x. I practice on my Rocker 15 (home) and some SS amps like the Crush 35RT (practice space). There is a big difference in noise/hiss between those two amps, and a 3X price difference. If the Crush 35RT cost $300 instead of $250 and had better audio fidelity that's be a pretty sweet improvement in my mind, but maybe they don't want to do stuff like that cause it would hurt the market for the expensive stuff.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    A worldwide cash shortage due to non stop natural disasters and general mismanagement will result in only really cheap good sounding amps being used.
    Nobody is going to buy anything they don't actually need.

So on stages we'll see Bandits, SF Twins, and those SS Orange combos.

Grateful Ape likes this.

4. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN
    I think the pedal-platform amps will continue to gain acceptance with more companies jumping on the bandwagon. The explosion of the pedal market will drive the demand. We'll probably see more PCB RI's of the classics for the holdouts. Also, predict the Blues Jr will be available in some new colors.

5. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Ugh.. that's fine as long as it (along with $250 Fender cigarette lighters and cuff links) doesn't distract from actually trying to move things forwards.

6. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    The easy call is that modeling continues to get better and Class D's small size and light weight makes that an awfully tempting option for aging guitar players.

But if more decent-quality, low-price tube amps from China (see Monoprice and Joyo) start showing up on our shores, all bets are off...

7. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Holic

Nov 26, 2014
    London
    Imagine if amp makers built cars.

You'd have the choice between a Model T Ford and Ferrari Portofino....

Somewhere there would be a forum with people arguing, ' Those new ones don't sound like the old ones'!

8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I will be in the market for a new Twin Reverb or Super Reverb with anti-gravitational device to alleviate the weight issue.....if that's not yet available, I'll stick with my Pathfinder 15R's.

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

10. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2011
    Kent, UK
    I reckon sales of modelling amps will continue to increase, with better sounds plus even more bluetooth and internet connectivity. They're lighter for older players, have master volume for all situations and make sense to younger players writing and recording.
    Much as I like the sound of a nicely overdriven valve amp we live in a digital age.

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    The aging baby boomer players are just starting to die off, starting the inevitable flooding the market with their monster amp collections in estate sales for dirt cheap. Meaning, amp companies around the world about to massively scale down all production.

Chicken Little

12. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    My 56 lbs tube amp is awaiting to leave my house in 30."
    Foreva and eva.

13. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    Only NAMM will tell...T-minus 7-8 weeks...

14. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2010
    Fullerton CA
    Fender brings back the "American Standard" as a higher-cost option.

archetype and Durberville like this.

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    The biggest changes will come when venues don't allow amps bigger than an ipad.

16. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Internet connectivity to you can auto-upload your playing to Youtube/Facebook/Instagram/whatever and/or so your playing gets it's copyright assigned to the amp maker or something.

Lots of things shouldn't have IP addresses.

PBO Blues likes this.

17. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2016
    Chatham County, NC
    The quote of the day.

18. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    I played a Katana 100 at a shop last week. While I still prefer my Tremolux, the Katana was pretty close. Especially for the money. In a band setting I don't know if you hear the difference. I believe this is where the market will move to. I also agree that as we baby boomers die out our stuff will become less and less desirable. It's already happening to the car market.

19. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    NuTube is an outstanding idea by Vox. They're tubes, plain and simple, produced in a smarter, more economical way.

Fearnot likes this.

20. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Right, I bet NuTubes are far more consistent too with a modern production.

I wonder if they would eliminate the need/concept of having to "match" a set.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.