Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Guild burnside tele

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by custimguitarman, Mar 8, 2010.

1. custimguitarman

custimguitarman TDPRI Member

Mar 8, 2010
    east sparta, ohio
    Hey everybody,
    My name is mike and I just joined. I have been here a few times and thought this might be the place to go for what I am looking for. What I have is a " Burnside by Guild" Telecaster copy. NO ONE seems to know anything about this guitar. I picked it up in a deal and tweaked it some so it would half play. Realy not a bad guitar and even has the neck tilting screw in the back. The 5 way switch needs replaced and both pots need to be futzed with but otherwise it has that neat twangy sound. also it has a strange (to me) tremolo. Any info on this thing would be most appreciated. I had been kicking around the idea of making it into a baritone with a warmoth neck.

Attached Files:

2. TeleJ

TeleJ Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2010
    Kansas
    Welcome to TDPRI

3. fenderix

fenderix Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Europe
    Welcome to the TDPRI! You'll like it here.

Enjoy! :)

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

Nov 12, 2006
    the Netherlands
    No info on the guitar... I saw a strat style copy of the same brand a few years ago in the local guitar shop.

6. RocknDrTom

RocknDrTom Tele-Holic

Aug 20, 2009
    Lumberport, WV
    Many years ago, I had a Steve Morse signature guitar made by " Burnside by Guild". I loved the feel of the neck, but the pickups all sounded the same. Looks like the vibrato unit is a Kahler. I can't help much with any other info on this model. Authentic original Kahlers seem to go for big $$$ on ebay.

7. FrankJames

FrankJames Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    Welcome to TDPRI !!

8. tgfmike

tgfmike Telefied

Jun 28, 2009
    Culver City CA
  9. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Friend of Leo's

May 2, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I saw an entry on Harmony Central where it was suggested that somewhere in the misty past, Burnside was a sub brand to Guild like Squier is for Fender. No direct information though.

Welcome to TDPRI.

10. custimguitarman

Mar 8, 2010
    east sparta, ohio
    I appreciate the welcome from you all. Looks like this is going to be a cool place to hang out. BTW, just for FYI I am extremely interested in a baritone guitar. I was thinking of using this body or a decent squire strat body I have. Any thoughts? I tinker a lot and am fairly good with it. Been playin for about 25 years although not seriously until the past 3 or so. I am on a strict budget however and was hoping to pull off something good for the least outlay. Seems like a warmoth neck might be the way to go.

If the burnside is worth something though, I would hate to tear it up. I really have no attachment to it and it could be a good donor or make someone else a wall hanger. They really should have done something else with that headstock. I honestly never really like tele's until just recently and have since come to really admire them :)

11. custimguitarman

Mar 8, 2010
    east sparta, ohio
    BTW....I know it aint a tele but here is my most prized electric. I put this together couple of years ago...it is an Ibanez RG270 body with the trem and pickup routs plugged, I cut the monkey grip, applied the dragon fabric from walmart, an RS470 neck. The bridge is a tune-o-matic with the strings up through the body. The pickup is a dimarzio " steve's special". Volume pot, no tone pot at all. This thing plays like a dream and has wonderful clear tone.

Attached Files:

12. custimguitarman

Mar 8, 2010
    east sparta, ohio
    Oh I forgot, I did use tele ferrules for the body....:)

13. lotuss2

lotuss2 NEW MEMBER!

Jan 1, 2010
    San Francisco
    Steve morse Burnside

I actualy have one of the Burnside Steve morse Teles. I have spoken with Steve about it several times and he actualy played it and signed it. What was your headstock like?

14. avoicefortoday

avoicefortoday NEW MEMBER!

Mar 6, 2013
    Waco, TX
    I have one

I have a Burnside Tele that I understand was supposed to be a Steve Morse Model in 1984. I played one at the NAMM show and it is my understanding He pulled the plug because they showed it without him signing off on it. I understand only 10 were made, actually by guild. I know one had the headstock broken off and ruined. I don't know how many still exist. I would like to know more about this guitar if you have info. Mine is sunburst, chambered, Kahler bridge, emg passive pickups (HSS), locking nut, black hardware, and ebony neck (set). If you know more, please respond. My email address is earl.presley@yahoo.com

15. AngelsVictory

AngelsVictory TDPRI Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Orange County Ca
    That guitar is so wrong it is right! I love the 80's designs. Timeless, no. Fearless, yes!

16. Blustele

Blustele Tele-Afflicted

Dec 30, 2012
    NC
  17. Summit

Summit Tele-Meister

Jan 21, 2013
    Minnesota
    Welcome from minnesota!:D

18. custimguitarman

Mar 8, 2010
    east sparta, ohio
    I'm back!
    Been away a while but I finally picked up a nice Tele off Craigslist.

image-3573976762.jpg

19. 8thPlanet

8thPlanet NEW MEMBER!

Apr 22, 2013
    Long Island, NY
    I have virtually the same Burnside by Guild, but with fancy "V" fretboard inlays. I got it, and a little practice amp, as my local music store was closing. I'm more of a bass player but it was a bargain at $60 for both and thought it would be nice to have something to practice guitar with. Never could find out much about that line of guitars. I gave it to my son, who is a much better musician than I am.

Cheers

[​IMG]

20. Jack FFR1846

Jack FFR1846 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 18, 2011
    Hopkinton, MA
    To get more info, try http://letstalkguild.com/phpBB2/index.php

The Guild guys will be able to tell you more about this guitar. I've seen other Burnsides around and they're a funny brand. At least on Craigslist where sellers seem to think they have a Westerly Guild on their hands and price them in the clouds.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.