Guild 55 vs Martin D28

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Westreverb, Nov 16, 2011.

1. karma1959

karma1959 NEW MEMBER!

Hi.. I"m currently going through a similar thought process - I've had a Guild D55 since the early 90's and have always LOVED it, but am approaching 45 and considering treating myself to a Martin. I've played the D41 and D28 (not the D28V with difference bracing) and I wasn't blown away at all with the Martins. Obviously they're different guitars, so I don't expect them to sound similar, but to me, my Guild just sounds so much fuller and richer. As others have said, it also feels a bit more solid, which I personally like, but aside from the weight and feel, to me, the Martins just didn't sound on par - which I was really surprised with.

So now, instead of purchasing a Martin, I'm considering upgrading the electronics in my existing Guild D55 from the 20 year old Fishman piezo to the latest Fishman Aura Pro to improve the live sound from the guitar.

2. Bill Ashton

Bill Ashton Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

So, Westreverb, whatcha get? Probably bought something completely different from what the discussion was...good on ya!

3. Dave Best

Dave Best Tele-Meister

Haven't played the 55 so can't comment but I have an HD-28 which I love. Constantly getting comments on the tone. If you haven't already, have someone play each of the guitars (55 & the 28) while you compare.

4. Dave Best

Dave Best Tele-Meister

Wow! Can I trade my friends for yours?

5. Pezmusic

Pezmusic TDPRI Member

Hey I know this guy...... New Hartford Guilds are Amazing!!!!!! Martins can be good too it comes personal taste. Martin hired Frank Untermyer away.

6. Bill Ashton

Hey Pez, I know you too! :lol:

...and Guild hired Ren Ferguson away from Gibson...

7. SixShooter

SixShooter Friend of Leo's

This thread is so old that the OP is now 52 and plays a ukulele.

8. nrand

nrand Friend of Leo's

This geezer is so old he has stopped playing his ukulele in deference to his Guild D55
    Love it! :)

9. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain Tele-Meister

I have a 1978 Guild F50 (competitor to the J200). I love it. Big sound for sure. Heavy though, overbuilt as described by a previous post is probably a good description.

I will get a high end Martin at some point. I think I will shoot for a smaller body one because I love the blues and I like the sound of smaller body guitars for that.

Happy Birthday!

10. Bill Ashton

Hey youngster, who you callin' a 'geezer?

Wife, where's that Ben Gay, my backs acting up again! :p

Truth be told, I have since purchased a Huss & Dalton, replaced my Guild (Tacoma-built) D55 with
    a New Hartford-built D55, added an F512...and a Collings D2H!

nrand likes this.
  11. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Whoa. Nice lottery win eh

12. Bill Ashton

Not exactly ;)...She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed has been very gracious and permissive in my GAS, one just make sure to run it up the channels first, there's none of that "sneaking a guitar case in" here...that's why a full kitchen demo is imminent! But I digress.

Huss & Dalton DS purchased, (NH) D-55 a warranty replacement by Guild for a defect in the Tacoma-build's neck (took five years to show symptoms), F512 a purchase...and apparently as I had accumulated enough good karma, the Collings was won as a door prize at Steve Kaufman's acoustic guitar camp!

Oh, left out a Guild F47R purchase, recently traded for a (Westerly) Guild Starfire 4 electric.

However all of this is not to take away from the OP's original query and I would love to know what he wound us with and how.

13. Bill Ashton

Hey, Misty Mountain, Dave Van Ronk played blues on a Guild F50...but I understand fully the desire for another LOL

(tune starts about 2:30)

14. Hippieway

Hippieway Tele-Holic

One of the dumbest things I ever did was let my Guild get away. If you like both and are able to get one congratulations, nice problem to have

15. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

A six-year-old thread? Okay, I'm game.

I have a '71 D-28 and a '76 (Westerly) D-35. Love 'em both.

I'd kill for a good D-55.

nrand likes this.
  16. Bill Ashton

Charlie, you'll just have to host another amp workshop, and I will bring mine up for you to try :twisted:

Way back when, there was a beautiful D-18 at your house...was that yours?

17. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Holic

Never been a fan of Martin guitars,to me they are overpriced,over-rated and over-hyped.But Guild on the other hand I think, are better guitars,but that's just my opinion.I have an old Guild D17M that I've owned for close to 30 years and it has been beat to death.Bought it used for about $400.00 and to me it plays better and sounds better unplugged than my Gibson J200. If I were given a choice between saving a D28 Martin or a D55 Guild from a burning building ,I would grab the Guild first,play it for a bit, and then maybe go back and try to save the Martin.

18. mrmousey

mrmousey Tele-Meister

Go with the Martin. Guilds are good guitars, but there's nothing like a Martin IMHO. If you go with the Guild, there may come a time when you'll say "I wish I had a Martin; but I guarantee if you get the Martin, you'll never say " Boy, I wish I had a Guild" Of course this is just my personal opinion, having had an awesome Guild and having at this time an HD-28 which is an endlessly inspiring guitar.

19. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

Just buy the one that sounds best to you, regardless of what's on the headstock. I would call Martin more "iconic" than Guild, but who cares? Guilds are great. So are Martins. I personally have no desire to even buy another Martin guitar based on a disappointing warranty claim experience being the original owner of one of their guitars, but that doesn't mean I think they automatically sound bad. I have a 2011 HD-28 that's an awesome sounding guitar, but 90% of the time I reach for my Gibson AJ.

Disregard others saying "go with the Martin" simply because it's a Martin. That's not great advice. Just because THEY think Martins are the best doesn't mean it's necessarily the one for you. Let your ears decide. Neither is the wrong decision, unless you let peer pressure force you to decide instead of your ears.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  20. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

I once decided to get the best acoustic I could find, regardless of cost. I tried out Gibson, Martin, Taylor, Guild, not to mention a few Japanese guitars. The best one I tried was actually a Yamaha LL53, but when I said "regardless of cost", the LL53 was so expensive that I couldn't apply that phrase, as the used one I tried was $10,000. But it was so good that I was tempted to buy it anyway.

But common sense prevailed, and I settled on the D28. It didn't "project" as well as the Yamaha, but it was the lightest, and most balanced of the guitars I tried. And (IMO) had the best neck.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.