Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Guess what I've found parked at work today

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by brogh, Mar 20, 2017.

1. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 17, 2006
    Under scrutiny...
    OTOH, everything could be repaired by a competent mechanic, that was the point... Between a good mechanic and a good full service gas station allwas good, yes you had to have car sense. For those without a clue there was cabs and buses.

Most car engines needed overhauling after 40K to 60k. No problem, rebuild kits were cheap and you could do most inframe without pulling the engine.

2. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Holic

Feb 28, 2009
    Great White North
    "Nose cones"? Don't you mean "Betty Grables"? I believe that's what they called them.

3. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Oct 12, 2010
    New Joisey
    They were named after the pin-up of your choice. Here's to the days of automobile fins and structured undergarments.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Someone always writes a book explaining how something you like is not only bad for you, but that you are a bad person for wanting one of whatever it is they are whining about to boot.

I lived in that time period albeit as a kid, but I'll tell you one thing for certain, the men that drove Caddies were MEN. I'm partial to the B.S. that I might be asked to swallow, and that ain't even one of the tastefully presented horse apples I'd take a bite out of.

The men of today, wear cologne and drive BMWs and Audies and such, they are sensitive, some of them even menstruate I'm told. I'm kind of glad I was born to early for all of that. I'd take one of them Caddies right now, and be proud to drive it!

People didn't used to tend to drive as much as they do now. 100,000 miles for a car was perfectly acceptable. Besides old Al down at Hill's garage could put rings and bearings in it, and do a valve job for about $500 bucks. Now you're looking at ten grand for an engine that would be a waste of money because the rest of the car will be worn out anyway. There won't be anyone restoring Toyota Camrys in 50 years, you can bet on that.

6. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    Makes me think of William Conrad in Cannon. The only Cop who caught criminals by pinning them to a wall with his big ole car.

7. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    I see you guys liked the pic :) maybei'll have a chanche to upload more pictures in the next days, i should have more available form some colleagues :)

What was astonishing was the color, it's pretty rare to see those cars around here, there are some.... in 10 years or so i've seen maybe 5 this included, the other 4 where driving by.
    I really loved the chanche to give a peek into the inside walk around it and look at the details, well .. what a piece of art !

Hey mike ;) yup i doo too, not everything was perfect back in those days .. i wasn't even born .. so go figure .. but many things like the car above, were done with passion and love, like our beloved telecaster right ? those cars are sooooo good looking, always loved them my favorite is the mercury....trust me .. if one day i'll have the chanche to buy one of these.. it will be very very hard to choose which one.

Cheers

8. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    I totally want a amp and Tele in that color!:cool:

teleaddicted and tery like this.
  9. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Texas
    I've always been under the impression that in your part of the world (including parts of Europe as well, but not the UK) that these qualities hadn't disappeared to the extent that they have here in the US.

brogh likes this.
  10. mikeyb

mikeyb Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    They were men who wanted to bash into things because they were beat and repressed. General Motors supplied the fantasy. These cars were pre-plastic and made of cardboard and pot metal. The signature essence was burning oil and rotting cardboard. Can't tell from the photos.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I'm just curious if you actually know what you allude to, or just read it somewhere. I lived during the time period that those cars were built, my impression of the times, the people, and the cars is much different than that which you portray.

There is no argument that cars built today are more trouble free, but that doesn't make what was built then junk. It was the best they had to offer at the time, things change as people learn. The first Mercedes and BMW autos I saw in the early 60s were mostly junk. One fellow I knew who was a mechanical engineer, bought a BMW for the engineering. He bought a Chevy so he would have something to drive to work.

As far as today's cars and light trucks go, you could take a pocket blade and a claw hammer and dismantle most of the plastic parts of the outside of the car in just a few minutes. Many times after a not very serious accident, I have seen police officers dragging what looks like most of the front plastic front end of a car out of the roadway.

My cousin who was fond of the Lincoln town car and owned several of them summed it up nicely once. A friend of his had an accident in a Mercedes and proclaimed the design of the car had saved his life. My cousin said, yea, but if you had been driving a Town Car, you coulda drove it home after the wreck.

bparnell57, MickM and brogh like this.
  12. brogh

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    yup some still do as over in the US I imagine, there are exceptions of course like Ducati or Riva

13. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I've been mulling this over. I think maybe mikeyb has the men who want to bash into things because they are beat and repressed mixed up with the "male" Hollywood actors of today.

MickM likes this.
  14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit

I already done told ya once ! ;) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagmar_bumpers

And yet - it's been proven time and again, you're far safer in almost any crash scenario in a little econo box today, than you were in those big lead sleds back then...

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2011
    Spanaway, WA
    Whether you believe these cars are a work of art or a thinly veiled metaphor for what was wrong with the men of the 50's, you'll have to admit that the restoration itself is a work of art.
    Me, I have always wanted a car where the bumper weighs more than today's subcompact cars do in total.
    I have seen a Chevy from that era in a collision vs. a Nisan. Chrome on Chevy marred slightly... Nisan totaled.

bparnell57 likes this.
  16. brogh

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    true ! but well where do you wanna put the looks ? :D.... subjective.. ok, but still ;)

17. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I'm gonna file that right here under anecdotal evidence. I wrecked a 1954 Dodge V8 sedan going 105 mph when I was 16 years old. There were four of us in the car, it rolled over three times. I had to pull the back seat out and pull one of my buddies from the trunk, but we all survived without so much as a trip to the doctor. You can file that under anecdotal evidence too.

I'm pretty sure if we'd been in one of those little plastic boxes, we'd have all been in pine boxes after a bit. The main factor that comes into play during an automobile accident IS luck!

18. mikeyb

mikeyb Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    Yes, I'm 68 years old and owned MANY '50's and '60's Cadillacs, Buicks, Olds, Chevys and Pontiacs. They were made to be pretty and the design strategy was planned obsolescence. The wonderful restored examples were usually bought and stored; not the run-hard, rusted out crap that was on the road.

Besides the sad state of the Caddy-driving "real men," there was the promotion of leaded gas by the General Motors chairman (to save 3 cents a vehicle on hardened valve seats,) that poisoned the urban centers and likely caused some of the rage catered to by the battering ram design.

Maybe I'm a bit weird, but if I were making cars for 100 years, they would get better instead of so bad that nobody was stupid enough to buy enough of them to keep General Motors from going bankrupt.

I hear that Tesla makes a good car but from my experience, I would steer clear of General Motors, Ford and Chrysler. I drive a Honda, made in Ohio and Indiana. Just traded in a 16 year old Toyota with 175,000 miles because the muffler rusted through and replacing the (stainless steel) exhaust system would have cost more than the resale value; The same reason very few of the '50's and '60's classics exist.

I had a friend who had to get rid of his '70's (indestructible) Town Car because it got 6mpg and he cried, watching the gas gauge drop as he went down the road.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  19. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Sure .Remove the airbags and run the tests again.

Southpole likes this.
  20. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Is that Daphne Blue?

lp special likes this.
  21. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.