Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Grounding question - new member

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by DanH8482, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Newport News, VA
    This is absolutely correct. The noise that you've described, while undesirable, can be totally normal. Many people think that you have a grounding issue because when you touch the strings the noise goes away - the strings are being grounded to you when you touch them.

THAT IS THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF WHAT IS HAPPENING WHEN THE NOISE GOES AWAY WHEN YOU TOUCH THE STRINGS.

There are signals flying through the air all day every day. Your body is an antenna for these signals. When you're not touching the stings or another metal part these signals are more likely to be picked up by your pickups due to proximity if not shielded. When you DO touch the strings, these signals that your body is picking up are being sent to ground and not able to be picked up by your pickup.

Does that make sense? If the noise is intermittent it could be caused by another electronic component in your home. Mine is louder when my wife watches TV in the next room. It could have to do with the direction your facing. I'm not assuming that you do not have a ground issue. I'm just saying that do not be surprised if there's nothing that you can really do except shield/ground your cavities.

DanH8482 and Wally like this.

2. DanH8482

DanH8482 TDPRI Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Connecticut
    Thanks for the response!

I will be having the tech check to make sure all my grounding/shielding is up to code, so to speak. I guess the one thing that I may not have communicated clearly enough is that the noise I experienced was louder, more abrasive, and awful than any normal electronic noise I've ever had during the past 20 years of playing electric guitar. It was sort of like when you touch the end of a 1/4" cable that's plugged into an amp on the other end, except it went away when I touched the strings, knobs, etc. which is what made me think about a loose wire. I would imagine its not the input jack, because wiggling that has no impact, better or worse.

But for now, I'm just going to wait to see if it happens again, at least until I can get scheduled with the tech. If it does end up being normal for this guitar, that's unfortunate because it plays well and sounds great, but I won't be able to use it and will have to look for something else.

Incidentally, my rig was plugged into a surge protector that was plugged into a power conditioner and I was the only one plugged into that particularly outlet in the wall.

3. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Newport News, VA
    Something that harsh is definitely an issue. It's still odd that it goes away when you touch the strings if it's anything other than interference. Are you able to duplicate it at all? If you can make it happen, even if you don't feel comfortable attempting to fix it yourself, if you can show the tech exactly how to make it happen he should be able to pinpoint the issue that much easier.

Good luck and keep us posted!

DanH8482 likes this.

4. DanH8482

DanH8482 TDPRI Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Connecticut

Haven't been able to duplicate it yet, hopefully never will!

I'll check back in once I meet with the tech, hopefully it was a fluke of the electricity in my drummer's basement or something like that. Thanks again for everyone's input and information!

5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Perhaps the output jack is wired backwards. A multimeter would/could answer some questions very quickly.

6. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Sweden
    I have had this problem. Moving along a string gave an unbearable electric crackle on top of the regular finger-to-string-noise. There was also sort of a crackle riding on top of the regular single coil hum. It could drive me crazy, but the fact that I didn't find what was causing it was even worse.

I fixed it last week. I started thinking that "what if I move ground end of the tone cap to the volume pot housing instead of having it soldered to the tone pot housing?". The DMM showed 0.0 Ohms between all ground points, tone pot housing included, but as I had run ouf of ideas long ago I thought it was worth a try. The legs were too short though, so I had to replace the cap (same make, same value, same batch). Poblem solved!

I still don't know if it was the cap or some oddity regarding continuity to the pot housing. As I said, according to the DMM everything was fine. Neither can I explain how either of these explanations could cause that electrical niose. Nonetheless, it's fine now!

7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Guran, one might think that either the solder joint/s were bad or the cap was a problem. If you put that cap back in the circuit, then you will find out which of those two possibilities was the problem.

8. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2013
    California
    I did this recently on a Stratocaster when I swapped complete electronics from one guitar to another. The only soldering I had to do was the vibrato claw ground and the output jack. Believe me, you'll know it the first time you plug in! :eek:

9. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2013
    California
    Interesting. I rewired the Tele last weekend with completely new pickups and electronics and still had the problem; not quite as bad, but still there. My tone cap is grounded to the back of the tone pot. I am currently playing around with different treble bleed circuits and will look at moving that cap ground as well.

In my case, the symptom initially presented with a completely stock, untouched, factory wired Baja Tele. It was still there with completely different electronics. A couple of days ago I noticed the same static on my Start. I'm beginning to think it might have something to do with the old wiring in my house, which was built in 1945.

10. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Newport News, VA
    Amp or cable?

11. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Sweden
    Yes, I know... I'd say it's more likely the cap than the solder joints. I'm pretty sure I have reflown them before. Still, I'm trying to understand how a faulty cap or joint could cause this.

The cap is still lying on the bench, I think, but I'm very low on energy right now...

12. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2013
    California
    Unlikely it is the amp. The static is present on both my Allen Accomplice Jr. (Deluxe Reverb clone) and my Tweed Deluxe clone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.