Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Grillcloth Noise

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Royal Tele, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    1) that cloth fabric cloth is not ‘correct’ for the 5E3.
    2) yes, that cloth affects the sound that one hears. I once had an old tweed Pro that has that brown cloth grille...all original and excellent condition. I had another baffleboard built for it with the later brown and gold grille ‘cloth’....which was made to allow the sound waves to pass through with less effect on the sound waves...as opposed to the earlier grillecloth which is effect just cloth. The difference in sonics is amazing after I installed the new cloth, it was interesting to listen to the amp and then hold the old baffleboard with the brown cloth in front of the amp for comparison.....Drastic difference in the sonics.
    There is a reason why amp manufacturers and speaker manufacturers devised new and more sonically transparent grillecloth all of those decades ago.

2. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    That's great but how to discern sonically transparent (did I say that) grillecloth looking at an online parts catalog?

3. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Fender went to a more sonically transparent grillecloth in ..1955???? Any of the cloth Fender used from 1955 on is more sonically transparent than that brown fabric.
    If the grille cloth is closely woven, the transparency is reduced. I might think that the Marshall basket weave cloth or any cane grillecloth would be less sonically transparent. If one had a very bright amp/speaker combination, one might like what a less transparent cloth yields. One might think that grilles made of mesh metal with large open spaces is the most transparent of any grille coverings, I suppose.

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I recall first seeing the monster tuck and roll Kustoms back in the late-ish sixties...always liked the sheer grillcloth on those....you could see every detail of the speakers, and I always assumed they were as "sonically transparent" as you could possibly get.

JustABluesGuy likes this.

5. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Tele-Afflicted

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    Uncle Doug will be very helpful when you re-do your grill clothing:

6. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2009
    Lone Star State
    I can definitely agree with this, based on my recent experience. The difference in sound between having the brown fabric on there and having it bare was astounding.

I also trying blowing air (from my mouth) through the brown cloth—nothing was allowed through—and then doing the same with a small patch of the "oxblood" type stuff—and the air went through that free and clear.

So, knowing that the cone moves air, and realizing the brown fabric wasn't letting it through, it all makes sense. That's why the brown fabric was always flapping on the baffle. That's why the brown fabric stretched and loosened up over many hours of playing (and then flapped even more so)...

Lesson learned.

Wally and JustABluesGuy like this.

7. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Tele-Afflicted

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for allowing others to learn from your mistake.

8. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    ”Grillcloth Noise”

Are they on tour again?

JustABluesGuy, nojazzhere and jvin248 like this.

9. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I had to have a Kustom because of Creedence, right? So, I said goodbye to a beautiful Rickenbacker B-16 SuperSonic piggyback amp ...with a solid copper chassis, no less....and bought a K200 with reverb and trem...black tuck and roll with a 3 x 15 cab....one of the 15's was an all aluminum horn!
    That aluminum horn was definitely visible!!!!
    I let that one go for a Lab SEries L-5 in 1978. Those two amps were and will be my only solid state amps. The old Kustoms were not bad for solid state, ime...and the L-5 Lab Series is still the best SS amp I have heard.

nojazzhere likes this.

10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    My keyboard player and my bass player in High School and college each had a Kustom 3-15" amp and cab....we used to joke when one of them died they could be buried in the speaker cab. (it almost took six men to carry one) Sure sounded good, though.
    Isn't the Lab Series the one BB King always preferred?

11. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    nojazzhere, you must have been around some small guys. I had no trouble moving the Kustom....but then I am 6'5". the controls on the head were almost at eye level for me!! LOL
    Yes, B.B. King preferred to play through the Lab Series L-5. the MOog people knew what they were doing when they designed and built that amp. The Multifilter section, the parametric EQ and the Compression circuit allow one to get really close to a wide variety of tube amp sounds if one knows how to run the amp. I still prefer tubes...but the Lab is a very, very good amp...imho.
    Back to the topic...
    The Lab has an interesting grillecloth. It is a knubby, woven fabric and probably not quite as sonically transparent as what we see on say these Fender amps. ???

nojazzhere likes this.

12. LudwigvonBirk

LudwigvonBirk Tele-Meister

Aug 26, 2017
    Madison
    Nail chicken wire on the front! Allows for more air movement than any cloth.

With a couple additional tweaks you could use it as a coon trap - make some money when you aren't playing through it :)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

13. LudwigvonBirk

LudwigvonBirk Tele-Meister

Aug 26, 2017
    Madison
    Chicken wire speaker grill on a finger-jointed pine beehive box. You could pull the bee supers out when you need to rock or trap coons, then stick them back in when you aren't gigging. Or let a bunch of bees and a racoon out at the gig to clear the house at the end of the night. That's a killer analog money-making multi-purpose machine!

Here's a new beehive amp box thread:

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/finger-jointed-pine-cabinets-for-less-than-20.780877/#post-7978296

14. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Only if made out of same cloth??

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Lotta skepticism!
    Nature of the internet...

16. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2009
    Lone Star State
    Are you saying there's a lot of skepticism here? On this topic? In general? Or are you saying you're skeptical about this? What exactly?

17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Well at the beginning of the thread there was some obvious skepticism that grill cloth might affect the tone.
    And in general on the internet, there are generally folks making tall claims and other folks telling them they are wrong, whatever the claims may be, leading to a general uncertainty, and rendering internet info pretty much a joke.
    Sad because it would be great if we could just google and get "the facts".
    But understandable because the internet is just all of us having a beer while we modify perfectly good guitars to make them better.
    Yeah all my guitars are modded and yeah I looked into grill cloth options.

I've also watched as trustworthy pros got laughed at about their gear knowledge because it didn't jive with the mass laugh track related to the particular topic.
    The mass voice on internet forums comes from hobbyists who just learned their belief this season on the internet, but majority often rules...

King Fan likes this.

18. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    This is a little off topic, but when The Grateful Dead had the Wall of Sound, I asked one of their techs (Rick Turner, probably) why they had these towers of speakers with no grill cloths. The reply was that even with well designed tight grill cloths, there was audible noise from the movement of air from the speakers, so they left them off. Later on they'd put up a large screen over all the speakers hooked to the scaffolding as they lost too many expensive JBL drivers to misguided frisbee's thrown by members of the audience.

Royal Tele and JustABluesGuy like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.