Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Grill Cloth tutorial

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by jsnwhite619, Feb 9, 2017.

1. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    Just wanted to pass this on because I know the question comes up from time to time, and I've done a few myself, but this was definitely a better method. A little slower, but tighter & straighter than my usual way.
    Here is the link @ https://www.forum-speakerbuildersupply.com/post/grill-cloth-installation-2403012 I've bought grill cloth from them in the past, and they have a sales page with discounted end cuts that is definitely worth checking out. But, it's the old vintage tweed method of stapling on the sides of the baffle instead of wrapping around to the back. It definitely saves the frustration of sinking a staple in the exact spot that a baffle screw needs to run, and it has a nice clean look to it in the end. Just run a box cutter down the edge of the baffle to trim the excess. Anyway, I think it's an improvement on what I was doing, so I wanted to pass it on.

IMG_20170209_132414619.jpg

IMG_20170209_132431023.jpg

IMG_20170209_132517864.jpg

String Tree, D'tar and Darkness like this.

2. Sandhill69

Sandhill69 Tele-Holic

Jun 18, 2016
    Colorado
    Nice, and great link, thanks!

3. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    Thanks! And this hasn't even had the hair dryer over it yet!

4. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    Th thanks I wish I saw that before I did my bandmaster. It came out nice But I did my fair share of pulling staples. I use a soldering iron to cut the grill cloth it melts the ends no fraying. Also on the corners when I had them all folded and stapled, I used a little crazy glue to help hold them, kind of let it wick in the cloth.

Attached Files:

5. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    Whoo! I never thought about covering the grill cloth on those cabinets of yours! I bet that was a bear. I don't know how much time you have in each one of those things, but just as someone who has built a few standard cabs, you have some real skill & patience!

Sent from my XT1585 using TDPRI mobile app

6. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I wouldn't paint the board unless it was already supposed to be painted.

7. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2009
    Franklin New Jersey
    Nice! I could have used this a couple of years ago.

Bitsleftover likes this.

8. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    WNY
    jsnwhite619 likes this.

9. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2007
    Cleveburg, USA
    I'm thinking about a tweed style cabinet for my next build, and yours looks great. Can you fill me in a little on the following:

1. How do you attach the speaker to the baffle? Are there captive nuts attached to that baffle?
    2. How do you attach the baffle to the cab? Wood screws from the front of the amp? I can never quite tell with Narrow panel style cabs.
    3. What wood stock did you use for your fascia boards (the narrow panel parts of the narrow panel)? 1' x 2"?
    4. What's the hair dryer for?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017

10. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Oct 17, 2016
    Glasgow

11. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    Thanks! I'll go through each one if I can. My method isn't vintage correct, but it's secure and the wood can never strip out from the screw holes.

1. I drill a hole through and use t-nuts from the outside. Don't drill too big or the center of it won't dig in right, but I'll start it with a screw and drill on the back side, then remove the screw and hammer it in. You could put a drop of super glue if you were worried about it.
    2. I drill through and use machine screws and keps nuts inside the cab. I don't use wood screws for anything. Everything is machine screws and t-nuts or keps nuts. No wood is ever going to strip out or split that way.
    3. On the finished wood cabs like this, I use the same 3/4" (bought as a 1"x 10") boards that I use for the cabinet. These are glued on the 3 sides and clamped. Probably 1-3/4", but that just where I settled on what I liked proportionally. On a tweed or tolex cab, I use 3/8" birch ply and route it in both the sides and a long channel across the whole top.
    4. The hot air helps tighten up the baffle in the end. I don't have or trust myself with a heat gun, so an old hair dryer gets the job done.;)

12. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    One more word on the method at the top of this post. You can get a really tight fit, but make sure all the staples are seated down. I scratched the heck out of the inside of a cabinet - luckily it wasn't tearing tolex - because a staple wasn't flat. My advice is to go all the way around with a hammer in the end and tap them all to be sure it's flush.

Bill Moore likes this.

13. SacDAve

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.

14. SacDAve

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    Acually they are easy they are stabled on the front, I don't wrap cloth around.

jsnwhite619 likes this.

15. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    Beautiful.

jsnwhite619 likes this.

16. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    Thanks. It's taking forever to finish because the current weather pattern in Georgia lately resembles something between Seattle & London. It's for a friend that I'm building a Harvard for. Here are the latest pics I have.
    IMG_20170508_162534035_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170602_091721.jpg

String Tree and 5ofeight like this.

17. magic smoke

magic smoke TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

May 28, 2017
    Quantum Entanglement
    That cabinet looks great. How did you stain and/or finish the wood?

jsnwhite619 likes this.

18. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    Thanks! That is the result of approx. 16 ounces of boiled linseed oil rubbed in over a few months. I'm trying to get the polyurethane on there now, but we've been having tropical weather here lately and it just won't work.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.