Griff Hamlin's Blues Guitar Unleashed????

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by resonator, Aug 22, 2011.

1. resonator

resonator Tele-Meister

Has anyone bought or used Griff Hamlin's Blues Guitar Unleashed DVD's? I've been getting into more blues guitar lately and would this looks interesting. He does offer a one year money back guarantee.

http://www.bluesguitarunleashed.com/bluesguitar.php

If you have another instructional DVD set for the blues guitar you can recommend, that would be great.

2. coreyman97

coreyman97 TDPRI Member

I have played on and off for many years and wanted to learn to play the blues from the ground up, so I bought a copy of BGU. There is a lot of basic info for someone who has not played very much, as well as intermediate level instruction. I picked up a lot from it and Griff is an excellent teacher. The practice exercises after each lesson can be challenging (at least for me).

3. Titletone

Titletone TDPRI Member

For blues lessons, check out Marty Schwartz. He has a lot of free lessons on Youtube, as well dvd's for sale. I've learned a TON from him.

toaster51 likes this.
  4. coreyman97

coreyman97 TDPRI Member

I agree with titletone. Marty is excellent. I have one of his dvd sets also. Check both of these guys out on youtube to see whose style you might prefer. I have scouted out a lot of youtube people and then I have purchased some of their products. There are a ton of great people and info. Just search and you will find. Good luck.

5. cjburr

cjburr Tele-Meister

As a beginner I have the BGU series and have had alot of fun with it. I would recommend it as an option.

Think I'll look at Marty too as one can't go wrong using everything available.

6. jmc7581

jmc7581 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I've got "Blues Guitar Unleashed," and IMO it's first rate. It's very comprehensive, well-organized and methodical, and I think Griff is an excellent teacher, good both at showing you things and at explaining the "why" behind them. Unlike with some courses that are strictly video, you get written materials too, where he's careful to tab things that warrant tabbing, and put in diagrams where they are useful. I really like that. I find myself referring back to parts of it all the time to help me with particular things.

Now, you have to have reasonable expectations - it covers a lot of ground for students who are "intermediate" - which is a broad category! There'll be stuff there you already know, probably, but that's the way it is in all these courses. I think that for a comprehensive course on the blues, it can't be beat.

7. coreyman97

coreyman97 TDPRI Member

8. resonator

resonator Tele-Meister

Someone was selling Griff's Blues Guitar Unleashed on ebay. I made the guy an offer and he accepted it. It should be here in the next couple days.

9. coreyman97

coreyman97 TDPRI Member

good luck resonator. i think you will find it very helpful. griff's slow blues supplement just arrived yesterday. it's only 2 dvd's, but it looks to be challenging by helping to understand where to use the major and minor pentatonics.

10. rolling56

rolling56 Friend of Leo's

I'm surprised someone on ebay isn't selling copies of both Griff and Marty's stuff they burned from the originals........might even find them on a torrent site too

11. tom d

tom d NEW MEMBER!

Hello everyone, just found this forum and happy to be here !

BGU is a great course, currently, I'm half way through it. I liked it so much I ordered the Blues supplement course too. No comment on that since I won't start it till I finish BGU.

12. zash

zash TDPRI Member

How did you go with this supplement?
    My friend has got the blues unleashed and I think the format is spot on for learning but it's a basic for where I am at.

Does the supplement use the same teaching approach? Any comments on the content would be appreciated.

13. jimku

jimku TDPRI Member

I have the BGU course and think it's excellent. You will never find a better teacher than Griff Hamlin. He cuts through the "B.S." and teaches you ONLY what you NEED to know to play the blues. No endless scale crap, no useless music theory, only what you NEED to know to play the BLUES. I have been playing for over 40 years. The very first lesson, which I thought would be "Ho-Hum" and dirt simple, was dirt simple, but it showed me a blues lick I have been searching for forever. So even the most rudimentary lessons can teach intermediate players a thing or two.

Part of BGU is access to the BGU forum, which is invaluable. This is not a public forum, it is only for BGU members. It is populated by players at every level, and all there to support one another. No such thing as a dumb question. No sarcasm, no cutting remarks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.