Grid stopper resistors - which value?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by BigDaddy23, Jun 11, 2019.

1. BigDaddy23

BigDaddy23 Tele-Meister

Hey all,

I'm interested in why we choose particular grid stopper resistor values. You see a pair of 68k resistors commonly used in Fender style amps (1 for each input jack). I've seen various other values in use such as 33k in single and paired inputs, 56k and so on.

What difference does this make to the tone of the amp and how do we arrive at selecting a particular value? What do you do if there is a single hi input in the amp design?

I need to do some more reading on this but thought I would put it out to you blokes who have 'the knowledge! '

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The value of those input resistors control the strength of the input signal. Take that Fender approach. When you are plugged into input #1 of two inputs, the resistance is 34k since that situation has those two 68K resistors in parallel. When you are in input #2, therefor is a single resistor in the circuit for a 68K resistance to the guitar’s signal....and there is a 6db cut compared to the #1 input.
    Looking at a few Fender schematics, we can see a few different approaches than the ‘typical’ 68K resistances. The Pro Sonic uses 47k’s there. The Pro Jr, which has only one input, uses a 10k....hot input, eh?

And....there are other concerns....

http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/gridstopper.html

robrob likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.