Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Gretsch Stereo King project done!

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Tomm Williams, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Just came home from J Design Cabs with this project Jeff finished this morning. 1962 Stereo King in reproduction cabs. I bought the amp as just the head and the 2-8" cab, the 1-15" cab I've yet to find (good luck) so I had Jeff make all new cabs and I'm storing the originals unless I get so lucky as to find the missing one.

Meeting Joe Carducci from Gretsch next weekend. Hopefully he can shed some light on this head unit as it has some peculiar details that have me curious.

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Kudos...great project there. I am curious....we're the original speaker cabs completely open in this manner?
    I also find it odd that a 'stereo' amp has different speakers for each side. But....that is a great looking set there.

3. Tomm Williams

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    image.jpeg
    Yes Wally they are both open to facilitate the smaller cab sliding into the bigger one for carry. I'll post another pic but the plan was to be able to carry both cabs in one hand and the head in the other. Now of course the 12 legs might require another trip but still a cool old funky amp and its LOUD
    This pic is the smaller cab nested inside the larger.
    They were only offered by Gretsch in 1962 and then dropped the next year. At a price of $485.00 (about $4000 today) it's easy to understand why they didn't sell many.
    Mine actually has all 1959 dates in it which is why I'm looking forward to talking to Joe.

asnarski and Wally like this.

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I thought maybe that was the deal.... Very cool.

5. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2016
    sub arctic
    Very very cool. I would love to have an updated rig like this with a two channel head.

6. Tomm Williams

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    Well I got back from the event this weekend and had a blast. The skill level of the players there caught me off guard, they were goooood!
    Had a nice conversation with Joe Carducci from Gretsch about the amp but unfortunately it was a rare model to him as well so he couldn't offer too much.
    Records concerning this amp just don't exist anymore and the people who built them are no longer around.
    Here's a picture of Joe and I at the event with the amp and fellow attendee Mel Waldorf playing through it. image.jpeg image.jpeg

jimytheassassin likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.