Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Gretsch Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by A.B.Negative, Jun 19, 2009.

1. BadTranslate

BadTranslate Tele-Meister

Aug 13, 2006
    pdx
    Clip from 1964. :)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    jimash likes this.

2. markeyd123

markeyd123 Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2017
    USA
    I removed the bigsby yesterday. Using it made the guitar lose its tuning no matter what I did, and the strings would buzz against the frets if I played very hard. I love this guitar now that I put the hard tail on it. Filled the holes with screw covers.
    Optimized-20171220_212537.jpg

Zepfan, cabra velha and BorderRadio like this.

3. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    Here's my Gretsch, a 2006 Double Anniversary. I wanted one when I was in high school but it was way beyond my means. Like all the girls when I was young, we have a love-hate relationship. I love the classic good looks right down to the two tone paint and thumb nail position markers. The hate part is the mud switch. Consistent tone is a dream rather than a reality. When I take her out, it can take two or three days just to get used to the sound and come to grips with the settings. The individual volume controls work like tone controls but with only a few degrees rotation before tone turns to mud. String balance is a challenge. My strings are Daddario half round with a wound G string. That keeps the G under control but there's no way to keep the B string from screaming out without a compressor. My other electrics, a Tele, a Strat, and an SG are more alike than different. The Gretsch is totally unique. It sounds like nothing else. There are songs I play on it that just don't sound right on the others. It sounds like I remember guitars sounding like in the '60's. There's so much to love but she still drives me mad.

upload_2017-12-21_12-49-23.png

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    cabra velha and BorderRadio like this.

4. markal

markal Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2016
    Colorado
    I have come to the conclusion that one Gretsch is not enough. I have a 5620T (posted a few pages back) and really love it. I had some tuning stability and intonation issues but after a set up and a bone nut, it is flawless. The 5620T has a super hilo'tron in the neck and black top filter'tron in the bridge. Love the gritty and clean tones.

I've been coveting a full hollowbody (maybe a 5420T or an Annie if I can justify the expense) and a Jet. Might have to sell my PRS.

5. jsp737

jsp737 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

May 25, 2016
    Hood River, OR
    I picked up a 5420t after buying a ProJet on a whim and being very impressed with it. I still love the ProJet, but the 5420t is absolutely glorious. I've yet to find a flaw with it, other than a wonky pickup switch. I've had zero issues with tuning stability as well. So light and comfortable to play and I love the neck.
    JP

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    markal likes this.

6. markal

markal Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2016
    Colorado
    I have a 5620t that I love (posted earlier in this thread). I did have some tuning stability issues but a set up and a bone but solved. It sounds glorious. So I’m not surprised by all the great reviews on the 5420t. They’re lighter than my 5620t and probably have a more open sound because they’re fully hollow. Next spring I’ll probably shop for another guitar and that will be on the short list.

jsp737 likes this.

7. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    Just got a matching black 5420T. Love these things!
    Image1514074884.736791.jpg

6stringcowboy and jsp737 like this.

8. bossaddict

bossaddict TDPRI Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Birmingham, AL
    Here's my newly-acquired 6120 Nashville...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. barrymclark

barrymclark Tele-Meister

Jul 5, 2013
    Atlanta
    That's about what mine would have looked like before somebody stripped it down to the wood and covered it in an epoxy. Congrats!

bossaddict likes this.

10. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2015
    Upper Midwest
    I bought a G5620T-CB at my local music store/Gretsch dealer in 2015. After some back & forth, the pickups in the 1st guitar were declared defective by Fender and they swapped it for an identical Electromatic. Very happy with this guitar ever since. A versatile, easy playing guitar.

Apologies for the lame pic. I suck at photography. Sound sample in my signature.

upload_2017-12-28_16-25-0.png

6stringcowboy and BorderRadio like this.

11. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Love that rocking bar bridge... :)

Is that one hollow, trestle? Or center block? Also, looks thinner than a regular 6120. True? or just the camera angle?

One more question (sorry): what year?

bossaddict likes this.

12. bossaddict

bossaddict TDPRI Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Birmingham, AL
    Thanks! It's a full hollowbody and I think the thickness is typical of this model. The serial indicates '64, but the pot codes date it to '65.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Very nice!

bossaddict likes this.

14. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2016
    Duarte, CA
    I just lost my privilege as I sold my Silver Falcon. I loved the tone and the look but the body depth was too much for me.

15. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    We'll issue you an honorary. There's always a Jet... You know you want one... :lol:

CV Jee Beez likes this.

16. barrymclark

barrymclark Tele-Meister

Jul 5, 2013
    Atlanta
    It is indeed typical to the Electrotone 6120's.

[​IMG]

bossaddict and CV Jee Beez like this.

17. Rich724

Rich724 Tele-Meister

Dec 26, 2012
    Linden, MI
    Here is my Setzer Nashville. Green top Tele knobs.
    IMG_2312.JPG

6stringcowboy and brookdalebill like this.

18. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    Update on the string balance challenge. I searched other forums and the TV Jones web site and found a very simple way to adjust the height of Filter-Tron pickups. Remove the ring and then remove screws that hold down the cover. The pickup can then be lifted out. The screw passes through a wooden shim about the thickness of a penny set into the pickup route. What I did to get my strings in balance was remove the shim on the treble side of the pickup and readjust the pole piece height adjustment screws. There are some who want to get their pickup closer to the strings. Shims can be added, or replaced altogether with a foam insert that can support the pickup. The cover screw than serves as the pickup height adjustment. I don't know why the information was hard to find. I hope posting it here helps someone. Here is the link to the TV Jones page with pickup rings, shims, and mounting hardware.

https://store.tvjones.com/rings-screws-adapters--shims-c26.aspx

19. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2015
    Maldon, England
    Limited edition, one of 57. G6129T RDSP LTD

P1120245.JPG

20. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Holic

Oct 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    G3161 just in. Had two others prior (one of which appears upstream in this thread), both were way too heavy and kind of "tight" sounding, third time's the charm with this minty fresh, resonant lightweight, which is a real keeper. Pickup swap and Bigsby to come.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.