Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Gretsch Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by A.B.Negative, Jun 19, 2009.

1. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2013
    California
    How do you like those T-Armonds? My Anniversary model came with the Hilo-Trons.

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I have Hilotrons now, need some Dynas.

3. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.

4. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

I am not an official member of the club yet, but am becoming increasingly "Gretsch-curious". It caught my attention that Riff City (a local store that also does great online sales) carried a bunch of Gretsch, and I was interested in the silver sparkle finish Electromatic...until I saw this:

[​IMG]
    I'm a bit of a sucker for burst and natural wood finishes of all kinds, but I just thought that was a beautiful concept. $430 for a Chinese-manufactured instrument might make some people spit their coffee out, but I think that's becoming of decreasing importance, especially if you aren't interested in resale value (I'm not). And I'm already an owner of several "high-end" Squiers that play great, so that's not really a concern of mine.

I'll definitely try and play one "in the wild", but if I was really going to buy another guitar right now, not sure this is the direction I should go. The pickups, wiring/control scheme, and unique finish definitely have my attention, however.

brookdalebill and Paul Jenkin like this.

5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    My Pro Line 6120 ('59 Chet) came with the TVJ Classics stock. Not bad, but kinda boring. I wasn't playing the guitar much. I swapped them out for T-Armonds - the ones with the filtertron footprint - and it's like I have a new guitar. Super clear and bright, but no icepick. Similar to a Jazzmaster neck pickup. I've always felt Dynasonics are criminally underrated...

20171107_154151.jpg

6. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

I agree that Dynasonics are under-rated. Twang and clarity without icepick.

6stringcowboy, moosie and BorderRadio like this.

7. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

SHHHHHHHHH! :D

BorderRadio likes this.

8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I love Dyna’s, clear with mucho bass on tap, but there are also a few flavors out there. Going between Gretsch Dynas, T-Armonds, and DeArmond 2000s, and even Surf 90s (pretty close), I love all the neck pickup sounds. Bridge-wise, the TAs are a little too dark, Gretsch Dynas underwound, Surfs a little bright (not bad). DeArmonds sound alright with me, but need a little more. If I get another set, I’m getting a TA bridge wound like a neck pickup, 5% overwound or so. That or splurge on the Seymour Duncan repros. Note, I like bright :D

Edit: Yes, keep them underrated!

9. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Based on this series of videos, I liked the T-Armonds over the Seymour Duncan Dynas. So, I bought 'em, and I'm happy.

Now I want that Gretsch Variety amp. And a Duo Jet.

6stringcowboy likes this.

10. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Not really into the new ones but this is my main one - 1957 Chet Atkins model in orange. No binding rot or other issues that forum daddies tend to claim plague vintage Gretsch guitars. The pickups sound great. I've owned a bunch of the reissue ones trying to like them but after I got a couple oldies I found the sound and look I was after.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017

11. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    That looks nice...! What's the model number, please. I'll have to see if they sell those into the UK market as I'd love a natural with either a very light / matte poly finish or plain.

12. GGJaguar

GGJaguar TDPRI Member

Oct 6, 2006
    Skylands
    They are the standard Gretsch Dynasonic pickups. I like them a lot. They have a chimey, woody tone. Very unique. But like a Telecaster the neck and bridge pickups are very different (which is not a problem since I play Telecasters and G&L ASAT Classics). I have T-Armonds in my Duo Jet and they are a bit hotter and my ears hear more fundamentals with them and less of the woody overtones than the standard Gretsch Dynasonics. They work very well in the Jet.

13. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

https://www.riffcityguitaroutlet.com/products/gretsch-g5435-electromatic-pro-jet-natural

It's just the Electromatic G5435 in "Natural" finish. It may be a "Riff City exclusive," but check with Anderton's in the UK, since Riff City is Anderton's affiliated. They sell stuff like Tone City effects and Victory amps that we all saw in online videos here in the States, but weren't easy to order online anywhere.

Paul Jenkin likes this.

14. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Thanks for that. I've bought from Andertons a couple of times, so I'll see if they have it (or can get it).

15. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

I have Dynasonic 2000s in my 5127 and think they sound awesome. I also have a DeArmond M-75T with Dynasonic 2ks (made in the USA I believe) and they also sound really great to my ears. I think both are a bit hotter than the original Dynasonics but in my opinion they are perfectly balanced-- clear and articulate but with good oomph.

16. bakersfield2014

bakersfield2014 Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2014
    Helena Montana

17. davo8411

davo8411 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 8, 2011
    Pensacola, Florida
    I'm joining the club! I've been IMpatiently waiting for a deal on a G5420T, but none were coming up for sale in my area. I found this 2622T at a steal and thought I'd give it a try until a deal on a used Electromatic show ups.

gretsch.jpg

18. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

Oct 19, 2005
    Bowling Green, KY
    I'm back in the GreTsch club, with a Brain Setzer Hotrod.

[​IMG]

Zepfan, 6stringcowboy, moosie and 2 others like this.

19. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Brian gets all the best colors :D

20. davo8411

davo8411 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 8, 2011
    Pensacola, Florida
    That is gorgeous Chicago Slim!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.