Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Gretsch Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by A.B.Negative, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Proud member twice over btw:
    Image1509839003.309515.jpg

BorderRadio likes this.

2. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Meister

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    My wife has a teeny little bass
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    And we have a resonator too
    image.jpeg

Mr Scallywag and Mr. Lumbergh like this.

3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    My 6120 has the tone switch. The positions sound different, to me.

Buy it used? Maybe someone clipped the cap?

4. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2013
    California
    No, it’s new. This is the guitar I discussed in another thread where I was concerned about what I would be receiving due the amount of confusion there seemed to be with the seller as to what guitars they had listed for sale. Anyway, I think we resolved that.

The guitar is new, maybe I’m just not familiar enough with Gretsch guitars to evaluate that tone change. Sounds the same to me in middle and down positions.

How hard is it to get inside one of these to find out?

5. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I just double-checked my 6120, and I can definitely hear the difference between all three positions, with a nice clean tone dialed in. Middle is no cap, down is a small value cap (not too dark), and up is mud, er jazz. :rolleyes:

The TV Jones site is helpful. Wiring diagrams here. Tube kit here. The tube kit is cheap, and HIGHLY recommended if you plan to work on the guts. Correctly sized plastic tubing to slip over the shafts of your pots and switches. Much better than tying strings to each component.

The caps are smaller value than you might expect, because when used, they're used "all the way", like rolling a tone pot to zero. The schematic shows .0039 uf for the mud, and .0012 uf for the 'down' position. Seems about right.

You *might* be able to peek in there through the neck pickup hole, with an inspection mirror. Shining a light through the F-hole. But you know you'll need to get in there at some point.

If this is your first Gretsch...
    One thing I rarely see mentioned is the need to shim your pickups. My 1959 Chet reissue 6120 has the pickups sitting directly on the trestle bracing (screwed in). I imagine your 6118T will be similar. The tone was very weak when I got it, because the friggin pickups were around 1/4" too low!

241531_orig.png

I set up the guitar, and using this guideline^, shimmed the pickups so they were about that far from the strings without raising any pole pieces. I like to reserve pole piece adjustment for fine tuning and radius, not overall height. I used double-stick tape to attach four small pine shims, one under each pickup foot. If I recall they wound up being around 3/16" thick. Then I capped them with another shim made of mouse pad material, to get the rest of the height, and allow for a bit of play, and eliminate any rattles.

The Anniversary is a gorgeous guitar. Enjoy!

6. greebo830

greebo830 TDPRI Member

Feb 23, 2009
    stockport
    My Modest Collection (modifications listed)

G2420T Streamliner
    [​IMG]
    Custom Made "Anniversary" Style Headstock Plate
    Nickel Kluson Round Back Machine Heads
    Gold Blacktop Filtertron Pickups
    Gold Pickup Bezels
    Clear 5420 Pickguard
    Duane Eddy Aluminium Tremelo Arm
    Homemade Trestle Bracing Support Installed
    Treble Bleed Mod
    Les Paul Style Jack Socket Plate

G5120 Electromatic
    [​IMG]
    Grover Sta-Tite V97c Machine heads
    2 GFS Surf 90 Humbuckers
    Silver 5120 Pickguard
    Treble Bleed Mod

G5120 Jimmy C pinstripe Limited Edition (700 piece hand pinstriped limited run in 6 colours)
    [​IMG]
    TV Jones Classic Plus Bridge Pickup
    TV Jones Super'Tron Neck Pickup
    Clear 5420 Pickguard
    Chet Atkins Wire Tremelo Arm
    Treble Bleed Mod
    Jimmy C Custom Pin striping

G5420T Electromatic (Loosely based on Duane Eddy's 58)
    [​IMG]
    Chrome Blacktop FilterTron Pickups (TV Jones T-Armond set on the way)
    Gold Pickup Bezels
    Gold 5420 Pickguard
    Treble Bleed Mod

G5022CWFE Rancher Falcon Jumbo
    [​IMG]

7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thought I was in this club already, looks like not officially till now :)

Restoring the ‘65/‘66 Corvette G6135 (it’s a mess). Also have a OEM 60s G6135 body I’m using to make a Corvette Jr.

2D568134-DAFF-41C1-A94A-D2919FD7E2DE.jpeg 4C9FF0A9-8C89-48C4-8828-EEB087E52C58.jpeg 1E23A5D4-DA68-4B0D-BE3B-F5A4EA8AD014.jpeg B783000A-EB66-46CA-8553-5623BA1DD409.jpeg 5329A2F6-AE80-43D4-B780-EF3E222FEC15.jpeg FD555D54-FD8E-42DB-9B4B-009683732388.jpeg 34743C4C-0BFC-40E5-9356-76A3572079F7.jpeg

greebo830, moosie, ZackyDog and 4 others like this.

8. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2013
    California
    Interesting measurements you show there. On the Gretsch website their setup notes show 3/32” bass side and 2/32” (1/16”) treble side; they do not differentiate between neck and bridge pickups.

Currently my guitar is 12/64 (3/16) bass side, 11/64 treble side on the neck pickup and 9/64 bass, 8/64 (1/8) treble on the bridge pickup. Almost dead on to your TV Jones numbers.

I’ve only had the guitar a couple of days so I need to spend more time with it today with a couple of amps. I’ll then want to call the seller to ask about the tone switch before I go disassembling anything.

9. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2013
    California
    You mention “Homemade Trestle Bracing Support” on all these guitars.

What is it and why?

10. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2013
    California
    I just spent some time examining things and I can see through the f-hole there are two caps attached to the tone switch. (I was expecting to see a couple of ceramic discs but these things are huge; look like Astron or Jupiter caps.) But there is definitely no change in tone from the middle to down position. I’m suspecting a wiring issue from the factory.

I got a Baja Tele from Sweetwater that had a problem with the pickup selector switch. You would think sellers like this would pick up on something so obvious.

Oh well...

11. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW

12. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Keep in mind, those TV Jones specs are to be measured against open strings, NOT fretted on the highest fret, like the way Fender measures.

13. greebo830

greebo830 TDPRI Member

Feb 23, 2009
    stockport
    Trestle bracing is a system used by gretsch to connect the top and bottom parallel tone bars of the guitar, thus making it a little more solid and reducing feedback slightly. The electromatics and the Streamliners don't enploy this system. They just use the paralell tone bars.

Gretsch Trestle Bracing
    [​IMG]

My tech used 2 pieces of pine on each guitar across the tone bars (one inserted directly under the bridge the other just in front of the neck joint, both inserted through the respective pickup cavity). this acts very similar to the original trestle set up. Unfortunatly I don't have any pictures of my version at the moment, will try to get some when I swap in the TV Jones pickups.

BorderRadio likes this.

14. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Just adding for clarity, but stock Electro hollowbodies (G51xx and G54xx) use a tone post, a single piece of wood to connect the maple ply top to the bottom, and is positioned right under the bridge. There is no bracing along the bottom of Electros, only the parallel maple bars on the underside of the top. Dunno about modern Streamliners though, but at least the G2420 has tone post bracing too.

15. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2013
    California
    Yeah, I noticed that.

Well, after checking out a few Youtube videos, I'll be diving into the guts of that guitar tonight to see if I can find the problem with the tone switch. I spoke to the seller and if I can't resolve it on my own they will reimburse me to have it fixed by a luthier.

moosie likes this.

16. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Meister

Feb 9, 2015
    Troy, AL
    IMG_4057.JPG

Sold my pro jet a while back, but no worries. Back in the Gretsch fam thanks to CME hooking me up!

Love this thing.

Mr. Lumbergh and BorderRadio like this.

17. GGJaguar

GGJaguar TDPRI Member

Oct 6, 2006
    Skylands
    Three flavors of pickups here.

[​IMG]

18. DaddyG

DaddyG Tele-Meister

Oct 25, 2012
    Norton, Ohio
    6119-1962 HT, it's an '05. Mine doesn't get much playing time but I sure do appreciate it. I'd like to have the Eddie Cochran model.

Attached Files:

BorderRadio likes this.

19. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    BorderRadio likes this.

20. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2013
    California
    I pulled the tone switch and pickup selector switch out of the guitar last night and couldn't see anything obviously wrong with the wiring. Everything was solidly soldered up. Plugged the guitar in with the tone switch out and tried it in each position while tapping on the pickup pole pieces with a small screwdriver. Still same issue; only the "darker" switch position changes the tone. Put it all back together, strung it up and tried again. Still the same. I'm sending the guitar back to have the store check it out.

One other question. Do you know if that G6118T Anniversary model has a "pinned" bridge? I was very careful about marking the position of the bridge with masking tape before I removed the strings just in case it shifted and I noticed it didn't. So I tried to gently move it and it seemed like it didn't want to move so I didn't force it. Just curious if it is pinned.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.