Greta Van Fleet!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by esetter, Feb 10, 2019.

1. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Meister

Nothing, really. They didn't televise any of the rock awards. Times have changed, now we get treated to the musical stylings of Cardi B. Enjoy!

Sconnie likes this.
  2. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Meister

Liked the first EP, didn't like the album. Can't stand watching them perform.

jrblue and JodanOrNoDan like this.
  3. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Holic

Yeah I'm all for rock music making a comeback, this band to me just seems like a caricature of 70's rock.

They're like the Rutles, except I'm supposed to take them seriously?

NJ Deadhead and Modman68 like this.
  4. Moodivarius

Moodivarius TDPRI Member

Great for them. Like most of their stuf.

Music theses days needs more guitar in it, like GVF.

Scott

thegeezer likes this.
  5. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I cut the cable so didn't watch. Probably wouldn't have watched even if I could have-- awards shows are way too bloated with dreck and commercials.

I am slightly torn on this one. It is a bit of a surprise that such a derivative act got the award. Almost seems like the fix is in. But if it helps promote music featuring real musicians
    playing real instruments, I'm all for that. And who knows, these callow youths may evolve into something more interesting over time.

The Grammys do seem pretty irrelevant these days. Music is so spread out into countless niches, accessible with just a few clicks. The labels can still manufacture some big
    acts, but there's so much real music out there. I wonder what percentage of the population at large now finds all kinds of great, non-commercial music, vs. the percentage
    that still mostly listens to whatever their ClearChannel radio stations are pumping out.

Check out Tyler Bryant and The Shakedown. I found out about these guys on RigRundown. These guys are the real thing....playing rock that would make the 70s and 80s proud,
    but not just copy wannabes. If there were justice in the world and at the Grammys these guys would have won instead, no doubt in my mind.
    I'm sure there are other acts that you guys are aware of that would also be serious contenders.

6. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Holic

Enough time has passed that only those of us who have been around can recognize how completely derivative GVF are, and how very, very many other bands have done the same thing, often better, long before. IT seems fresher now since it has been so long. I don't think they suck -- except the singer, Frodo; but then I think Plant sucks, too -- and don't think they're just doing ripoffs, but I just can't find anything much to like. It's not that they're bad -- it's that they're not good enough to bother with. The overacting in performance makes me cringe, but they're hot for attention, so OK. I hope they'll develop into something, and they're just starting, so good for them and we'll see. I wish 'em well.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  7. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nothing new, I've heard it before. Been there in the 60's and 70's.

That said, I don't begrudge anyone's success as it be. One thing these kids will do is inspire people to seek out what inspired their sound.

B.B. King once said " no one would have known who we(black blues artists) are if it wasn't for the British invasion". Sorry if I'm paraphrasing.

So, a whole new audience will probably find the 60's and 70's groups.

Whether you like GVF or not. They will serve an indirect musical service.

Skamania likes this.
  8. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

Hollywood can't come up with anything new so they just redo every classic film and franchise of the past. This is the rock music version. Even if it's decent, it will never not be derivative. Theme of the (popular) times.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  9. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

Yes, it's a sore topic for some. Are those who complain about this band the same people who complain there's no good music coming out nowadays? Probably.

Yes, I'll agree GVF sounds like LZ. Do you like LZ? Yes? Cool, then you should like GVF. I read a lot of people hating on them for sounding like LZ.

Oh boo-hoo!! They sound the same!

Guess what? Everyone gets their sound from somewhere else. LZ, Stones, The Who, Beatles, Ten Years After, etc. stole their sound directly from American Blues. I'm not reading about anyone complaining about that.

I like their music and hope they continue on for a long time. Those who don't like them should probably stop listening to them and should definitely stop posting about it.

thegeezer, bftfender and Wallo Tweed like this.
  10. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    This! I don't like tons of music but I don't need to bash it online either. I'm happy to see someone in the younger generation doing something old school. Keep guitars/amps/music alive folks.. if you don't like it, don't buy or listen to it. Me I've got the music and do listen, would see them live if they come close enough. Everyone has copied someone at some time music wise, but it is THEIR music not Zeps. live and let live.

thegeezer, stevemc, bftfender and 2 others like this.
  11. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

It's been a long time and I might be remembering wrongly, but I seem to remember the critics poo pooing Rush because they were ripping off LZ.

But in the long run they did quite well for themselves.

Nubs likes this.
  12. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

That argument (if you don't like it shut up) is weak. Just because someone doesn't like it doesn't mean they can't/shouldn't explain their position or engage in discussions of the musical merit, or lack thereof, perceived by the listener. And discourse doesn't automatically mean a non-fan is trying to convince you to change your mind. Just expressing our opinion and reasons for it.

I agree with those positives. Bring back guitars, amps, rock n roll. Sure, cool. But don't just echo the past. Instead of copy-paste what we know (Led Zeppelin's look/sound/essence), I think many rock fans are craving a band that innovates and does something new. New rock that speaks to today's times in 2019. We don't need another Zeppelin; Zep already did it and are the masters of being Zep. And of course everything takes influence from somewhere else, but there is a huge difference between taking influence using that as a springboard for something different, and copping another band's entire aesthetic. Rock music was so cool and artistically interesting for decades because a band would come around and change what everyone's perception of rock music was, and everyone else would gain something from the newfound perspective of said music, pushing it ever forward.

Just my humble opinion, not here to try to change anyone's mind.

NJ Deadhead likes this.
  13. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

Glad they won a Grammy and I’m would be great if they find their own unique sound and take it further from here. Saw them live last year and they were awful so my hopes aren’t high.

14. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

For a short time there was a couple critics who felt early on that Alex’s playing resembled Jimmy Page a bit much but he evolved and developed some wonderfully unique style not long after.

That will be the key for GVF, though seeing them live last year I didn’t see the seeds of greatness. But what do I know? A guy named Jack who’s last name starts with an S...

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  15. Wallo Tweed

I think what the posters were saying is that in the past year or so the GVF horse has been flogged so hard on these pages that if it was a cat, it would still be dead.

TheMindful and BigDaddyLH like this.
  16. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

Haha I don't doubt this one bit! I appreciate passionate musical discussion. Reminds me of the Berklee days, being around thousands of musicians with very strong opinions. I don't mind it at all

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  17. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Meister

Wearing your influence on your sleeves is one thing but GVF is something else entirely. They are so derivative of Zep that they sound more like a parody act version of Zep. To be fair, the nominations for best rock album were all pretty god awful his year so good for them winning the one-eyed king award I guess.

Quite the opposite actually. There are plenty of contemporary guitar based rock bands that are far better than GVF. For that matter, GVF isn't even the best band fronted by brothers barely out of their teens who write big 70s style concept albums -- that would be the vastly superior and more talented Lemon Twigs. Pretty tasty solo starts at 3:13 -- you're welcome!

stevemc and TheMindful like this.
  18. Wallo Tweed

I don't think it stopped with Alex. From what I remember they said that Geddy was ripping off Robert Plant and that Neil was copying Bonzo.

19. Steve NB

Steve NB Tele-Meister

I would love to hear the catalogue of music from each person who has used the word "derivative" to describe Greta Van Fleet. Show me what you've done better or shut up.

thegeezer likes this.
  20. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

Sure. I don't believe I used the word derivative but my statement made the same accusation. Now tell me who I ripped off: www.themindful.bandcamp.com
    And I'm not making any claim that it's better or even trying to be better than anyone else, I just didn't feel like shutting up ;)

AlbertaGriff likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.