Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Greetings from the Philippines! Pine Strat Custom Build

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by af_villaruel, Feb 24, 2013.

1. af_villaruel

af_villaruel TDPRI Member

Greetings from the Philippines! :)

I am currently having a pine Stratocaster built by one of the luthiers here in the Philippines. I just thought I'd share to the rest of the world the local talent here.

Some pics of the build as of yesterday:

Neck pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's yet to be radiused, the frets installed (opted for medium jumbos), and the profile finalized. Lots of work still to be done.

Body pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The body is almost complete. It has been edged-over, routed and the transitions smoothed. It's looking pretty good, though.

Together:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any suggestions for the finish? Thanks in advance!

2. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome, and with that grain....sunburst.

3. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome! Looks like you're off to a nice start!

Is that fingerboard true rosewood or is that a local wood from the PI?

Just curious, how much does it cost to build a guitar in the Philippines? There was a thread about Skype guitar lessons the other day, and it got me thinking that the market is wide open for a good Philippino guitar teacher who can speak English...

I'm not sure about the best way to paint the body. I'd probably start by sealing it first, and then just going with a clear polyurethane finish.

If you want the knots and grain of the wood to stand out, you probably don't need the sealer, but if you're going with a solid color, or even a darker stain, you'll probably want to seal the body first.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. af_villaruel

Telenut62: Thanks for the suggestion. I'm actually considering 3TS and translucent blonde. Someone in a local net forum here in the PH suggested a natural finish. I've never really thought about that, but I may consider it.

6. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

The body and neck look great!
    I would tend to go with a medium amber on that pine, but that's me.

7. af_villaruel

bullfrogblues: You mean like this?

[​IMG]

8. af_villaruel

The fingerboard is true rosewood. My luthier imported several RW planks from StewMac. I chose this particular plank. What is local to the PI is ebony (Diospyros blancoi), which we call "kamagong".

The neck and the body cost me PhP 15,000.00 (around $365.00), inclusive of the wood and labor costs. This price doesn't include hardware and pickups costs yet.

There are a lot of good Filipino guitarists around, I'm sure. Some even world-class. Like Perfecto "Perf" de Castro, who now resides in the US. Not really sure where, though.

Right now, I'm leaning towards having it finished with 3-tone sunburst. But that may change. :)

9. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Oh yeah!! that would work for me!!

10. af_villaruel

Update (as of 3/2/2013)

Body:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The body's contours are now finalized and it is now sealed. Ready for painting.

Neck:

[​IMG]

We're still finalizing the contours on the neck. Had chosen a soft-V profile after trying out some necks over at the luthier's shop. I came across an MIJ Strat and I liked the profile of its neck. It had a harder V, though, so I said to the luthier to soften mine a bit.

[​IMG]

Neck was also radiused to 9.5". However, the slab was too thick so I asked them to sand it down, or else I might end up with a dark sounding instrument. Haha! I believe this picture was taken either pre-sanding or during sanding. The back of the neck is still thick at this stage so even if I had the board sanded down, I could still attain the thickness I was going for.

Until next week! Cheers!

11. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

hello kabayan Al,
    nice strat there. can you give your luthier's name and address or website? he really knows what he is doing. does he make tele-types too? thanks.

12. af_villaruel

Leonard: Kabayan! Will PM you the details. He does make Teles. In fact, he's more knowledgeable in Teles than in Strats.

13. af_villaruel

I wasn't able to go to his shop last Saturday because I conducted a seminar for poll watchers. Yes, I know... working on a Saturday and Sunday... sheesh!

For those who aren't from the Philippines, there will be elections for national (senators and congressmen only) and local posts (governors, mayors, councilmen, etc.) on May 13.

The luthier, however, undertook to take pictures of the progress and send the pictures to me by e-mail. Just waiting for the pictures. Will update you all when I get them!

14. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

thanks kabayan. thank you also for your efforts to ensure an honest and fair election. our country needs it.

15. af_villaruel

I agree. Thanks too for appreciating. :)

16. af_villaruel

Update (3-16-2012):

Slowly but surely, it's all coming together. I'm really excited!

Body:

The body is finished. It's finished in nitro, in beautiful 3TS! These pics don't do it justice!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Neck:

Fret markers and frets installed. Used #0155 (Medium/Highest) frets from StewMac. Profile was finalized into a really soft-V profile (almost sort of in-between a C and a V). For final sanding, routing (of the tuner holes) and finishing. It will be finished in vintage tint, poly satin finish. A decal will be installed as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will keep you posted. Thanks for viewing!

17. Telenut62

Looking good....got pickups lined up yet?

18. af_villaruel

I actually have GFS's from my old guitar. I'll use them in the meantime until my budget permits me to get better sounding ones.

Contemplating on getting a 57/62 set though. What do you think?

19. Chautauqua

Chautauqua Tele-Holic

Wow, welcome and great looking guitar you;re building there aye... It's coming along nicely and it's impressive to see you building it from the ground up. Nice work.

Cheers

Dave

20. Telenut62

Yup can't go wrong there

21. af_villaruel

How about 57/62s vs Toneriders? Toneriders are locally available here.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.